Question about 12v trigger

Youthman

• Moderators

Currently, my amp is plugged into the wall and must be powered on manually. I want to have it turn on with a 12v trigger. My receiver has two "trigger out" and it also has two "AC Outlets Switched". I know that I should not plug the amp directly into the AC Outlet on the receiver and I'm new to 12v triggers so I need some advice on how best to get it to work.

The receiver's trigger out look like mini stereo jacks and the 12v on the amp is bare wire connectors. Could I buy a 3.5mm stereo cable and splice the wire on one end and hook the bare wire up to the amp trigger inputs? If so, what wires do I hook to the 12v input on the amp? The amp has four screws to connect to and I'm guessing the cable has two or three wires.

A friend suggested that I could also hook up any 12 volt power supply plugged into the outlet on the receiver so when the
receiver turns on the it will turn on the power supply giving 12 volts for
the amp to turn on. I would still need to remove the connector and use the bare wire to connect to the amp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

post-27215-1381958367978_thumb.jpg

Hey youthman, personally I have never seen a 12v trigger on power amp look like that. Though I am not familiar with many different makes, though all the ones I have seen on both pre and power amp the connections look like a headphone jack.

As for splicing I am unsure, I wish I could help more,, good luck with it.

In my experience, 12v triggers usually require a MONO mini plug cable. With your amp it looks like you would have to cut the plug off of one end of the cable and connect the center wire to the 12v input and twist the ground (sheath) together and connect it to the ground on your amp - maybe tin it with a bit of solder first.

You're right, you don't wanna plug a 220 watt amp into the switched AC outlets on your pre-amp!

James

• Moderators

DU73, it's probably because the amp is an older model (1998 - 1999).

Thx James. Looks like either the Mono cable and cutting the end off would work or a 12v plug and cutting the end off would work as well. I need to look up the manual to see if I use the 12v trigger with mono plugs, if there is a switch in the menu to turn the 12v triggers on.

That is an interesting connection for a 12v trigger. I use the 3.5mm 12v trigger on my Emotiva and it works awesome. It will be very convenient for you once you get it figured out.

I wonder if wouldn't be a good idea to send an email to monoprice to see if they have a cable like that or if they could recommend what to do.

Youthman, you're all good dude. Either a mini plug mono (from Rat Shack and use any small gauge wire) out of the receiver to the bare connections to the power amp. Either polarity works, it's just a 12vdc coil to close the relay. I used the shield as the negative when I just cut off a cord with a mono plug because that's the way my mind works.

The other way works as well, I used a 12vdc wall wart with the connector cut off plugged into the switched outlet of the pre/pro and again hooked the bare wires to a switch I was using. All you need to do is research the amp (or whatever is controlled by the trigger) for current draw so that the wall wart you use can make the relay without fail and hold it closed. In this case I was using a Niles SPK1 speaker selector to swap my front Belles from HT receiver to the VRD 2 channel.

The pic is of a set up with a Niles AC-3(let me know if you need one) that is controlling the action but your amps trigger will do the same.

In th ecase of switching my front speakers, I used the one below. I connected my front mains to the 'input' of the switch with the receiver hooked to one 'output' and my two channel amp hooked to the other 'output'.

With a delay built in I ensured that both amps were never connected together and my tube amp was connected before it powered up.

The Niles IPC-6 did the delay duties and powered the 2 channel stuff. I used the 12 vdc trigger from the Denon HT to control the IPC-6.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/images/legacy/manuals/ipc6.pdf

• Moderators

Cut off one end. You'll have a center lead and a shield. The center lead attaches to the (+) terminal on the amp. The shield attaches to the (-)

Or... If you can wait until Thursday I have one I can give you. :)

Thanks guys. I always love the wealth of knowledge the forum has to offer.

Thx Jeff, I look forward to meeting with you on Thursday and hearing your LaScalas.

youth, you don't need to cut anything off. head to radio shack. buy a wall wart and when you do that, you get a "tip" free. simply choose the mono tip. plug the wall wart into the back of your receiver. plug the 1/8" mono end (from wall wart) into the amp. when you turn the receiver on, it will turn on the amp. automatic. it's the same way i had my onkyo turn on my lpa-1 with out hitting any other buttons. someone had one for sale on here for $15 shipped. it's a great deal. i think the wal warts are $30. i gave mine to the guy who bougth my receiver. i forgot his name but if you post you are looking for one and don't mind waiting to save a few coins, i am sure someone some where will have one.

forgive me if anyone already suggested this. i quickly read the other posts, and it is late and past my bed time. working day shift has it's draw backs, i feel old because i can't say up past 10pm.

night.....

• Moderators

youth, you don't need to cut anything off. head to radio shack. buy a wall wart and when you do that, you get a "tip" free. simply choose the mono tip. plug the wall wart into the back of your receiver. plug the 1/8" mono end (from wall wart) into the amp.

Look again my friend. There is no 1/8" jack on the back of the amp. Only on my receiver. The 12v trigger connection on the back of the amp only allows for bare wire.

parasoundback.jpg

forgive me if anyone already suggested this. i quickly read the other posts, and it is late and past my bed time. working day shift has it's draw backs, i feel old because i can't say up past 10pm.

Ok old man, get some much needed rest and on your way home from work, stop by the pharmacy and pick up some reading glasses. [:P]

Youthman, did you get it working? If not let me know and I will send you one. Whada you want, the walwart into the preamp or mono plug into the preamp method? Walwart way when plugged into preamp's switched outlets then trigger is sent to amp when preamp is turned on. Mono plug way then program the preamp to use the trigger (I have not read your manual for triggering options).

• Moderators

Thx for the kind offer USNRET, I haven't had a chance to even mess with it. I've been working on a few websites and business card projects over the past few days and have not had a chance to pick anything up. I'm meeting jhoak tomorrow and he said he has a mono plug I can have.

I looked at the manual and it doesn't say much about the trigger. It just says "TRIGGER OUT jacks: These are control expansion terminals for custom installation". I even looked in the Advanced Menu but it mentions nothing about the triggers.

If the mono plug doesn't work, I'll take you up on your offer on the wall wart. [;)]

post-27215-1381958381343_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just bought the SPK-1 speaker switch to switch my speakers between My McIntosh c28 and Scott 340b. Obviously being vintage they both don't have a 12 volt trigger. My question is can I use that 12 v wall wart and strip ends to connect to Niles switch + and - controller strip and plug wall wart into back of McIntosh switched plug?

Seems like easy question, but just want to make sure.

Thanks