Need Pro gear 101

wpines

Its the same general equipment used with the exception that pro gear many times has different connectors such as XLR and Speakon that are used instead of RCA and traditional black/red speaker terminals.

• Moderators

You guys that use pro gear, help me (us) out with a progear 101 primer. What's the progear version of source>preamp>amp>crossover>speaker?

I don't know how it is done for commercial applications. My " in home" pro setup is preamp>crossover>amps> speakers.

Preamp is Ht receiver (for now) >Crossover is EV DX-38, which is 2 in L&R with 4 channels out> into 2 Crown D 75's, one amp for the left, one channel on the high freq's and one on the bass bins, other amp on the right channel> to speakers MWM bass bins, 2 single bins and 1 K402 horns for each channel...........hope I didn't make that more confusing explaining it like that.

That makes it an active crossover and bi amped, works great IMO.

• Moderators

So you still need a preamp? The crossover is before the amps? Can one amp run the bass and another run the highs? Three channel crossover and three amps for 3 way speakers?

You still need a preamp, most amps don't have volume controls and even if they do that would make you adjust the volume for different drivers, if you had the driver on the highs up a touch more it would throw off the sound. I use the volume control on the preamp and turn the amps wide open. Also you need a way to connect different inputs.

Yes my crossover is before the amps, I guess if you never had it biamped you could put it after the amps.

Yes one amp can run the highs and another run the bass, I set it up like this because both amps were the same, so if the amps were slightly different it would not separate the volume of the high or the bass but have a slight difference from L to R which would be easier to adjust.

Some people have used tubes for the highs and SS for the bass, that would work but I guess you have to have a way to make sure there putting out the right amount of power for each.

Like I have it set up ( and 99% of jubilee owners) active, you need an amp for each driver, I have only a 2 way so I only need two amps.

If you could build a passive crossover you could avoid many of these steps, some have done it but once you do you have no control to change things without changing the design and parts. With active you just press a few buttons to change any part of the crossover. Active like this also lets you adjust for time delay or boost any part of the frequency range.

• Moderators

What would the system architecture look like for a system with a pair of powered subs and a pair of 3 way speakers?

Since powered subs are powered you could just run straight from the pre amp with a signal to the subs, if your preamp has sub connections.

I use the preouts on my Ht receiver, Main L&R to use it as a pre amp and I just set it to stereo and just use the normal sub connection. On the plate amp for the sub I have to set the crossover at the lowest setting for 2 CH which is 40, because my mains can do fine even lower than that.

Most of the time I don't even use the sub for 2 channel, big bass bins help alot.

The only nice part about the HT receiver for a preamp is when I want to switch to 6.1 with the 6 fortes all I do is turn the receiver from 2 CH to whatever setting I use for movies and press the button to turn on the front L&R forte which is on speakers A on the receiver.

• Moderators

I was thinking about it, if you had a 3 way you could build a crossover for just the midrange and tweeter, that may be much easier. then just run it as a 2 way separating the bass with different amps ?

There are so may people on this forum who know SO much more about this, they could help alot more than me, they must have not read this. I will sent you a PM.