Acarian Man Wowed by KHorns

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to have a pair of Quad ESL 57's. They wouldn't replace any of my horns but I've always wanted a pair.

If your interested in reading the case for horns and how klipschorns got to where they are read the Dope From Hope articles. Gil posted them here a while back http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/51635/492632.aspx

Congrats on a great score!

Thanks for the link seti

You remind me to get the Quads outta the basement soon for comparison with the Khorns. They are driven nicely by the Tiny Triodes too.

I sold a Fisher SA-16 to a guy with a couple sets of Quads. I've only heard a new pair of Quads. The ones that look like the monoliths from 2001. They were intersting.

Well, some here will agree, and some will violently disagree, but IMHO unless you are using a Magnovox changer with a ceramic cartridge through a Dynaco SS amp Klipschorns get you about 99% of all there is...accuracy. Many like to experiement with this amp and that, cartridges, cables, etc and actually hear a difference, and in many cases to them a PROFOUND difference for better or worse.

However, IMHO they have simply learned to magnify itty, bitty differences in accuracy.

Personally, I find far greater and more profound differences in engineers and spaces...but that is just me. There are times when I miss yearning after this preamp or that turntable, but the fact is even with a much more modest source chain than many here, and one that wouldn't even pay for some folks interconnect habits, I simply can't justify further investment expecting some great improvement.

Accuracy. You got it, or you don't. If you have it, you're done unless you just really have the time, money, and inclination to "tweak" and can train yourself to hear a difference. I never question others abilities to hear a difference in capacitors or even power cables. I cannot know what another hears, and if I think I do I need a check up from the neck up.

Welcome to the madness, and enjoy...there isn't any WRONG way to have fun with this hobby as long as your wife has shoes and your kids have food. After that, the best gift you can give is MUSIC even if the kids are barefoot.[:D]

Dave

For pure 2-channel bliss, my favorite combination has been a McCormack TLC-1 feeding a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe Amp - the most blissful and realistic sound I have ever had in my house. The DNA-1 Deluxe is probably WAY more power than your K-Horns would require (185 amps), but my Fortes loved it...

Put a test CD in to check channel balance, polarity, phase and such. Surprised to find the right woofer not playing at all! Found it would intermittently come on if I moved the banana connections/terminals. Thought maybe the cheap bananas just fit too loosely. Replaced with new gold plated spades. No change. Shit thought I gotta remove this plastic panel, may have a bad solder joint inside. Turned out the bottom spring-loaded fuse holder had stuck in the loaded position meaning that the fuse couldn't connect tightly - just rattling around in the socket. A simple push with a finger to make the socket spring back to its unloaded position allowed the fuse to then be loaded against the spring and twisted to lock.

Nice when the fix is simple.

Interesting to have a look inside.

Also noted that the pair seemed to be playing out of phase even though the connections were positive to positive/negative to negative. Reversed polarity on one speaker. Phase test on CD now plays properly. Not sure how much diff this will make for music...

• Moderators

Also noted that the pair seemed to be playing out of phase even though the connections were positive to positive/negative to negative. Reversed polarity on one speaker. Phase test on CD now plays properly. Not sure how much diff this will make for music...

I would think you will intermittently have much better bass now, [:o] nice when you catch something like that.

It must have sounded pretty good since it was not really obvious at first, only doing it intermittently is probably why it was hard to hear.

• 1 month later...

Took a day trip up to Greg's place mid-Maine last week. A very rainy sunday but we weren't going for the hiking or kayaking! My wife Carol and I met Greg at his Benton workshop and let ourselves in. Greg was working on some new horns and had the MCM shop system up LOUD! Once we caught his attention we got the royal tour. Greg has one of the "cutaway" Klipschorns. Fascinating to see the path of the famous bass bin. I'm moderately knowledgeable about audio but new to Klipsch and horns. Greg was great about answering questions from both Carol and I. He is not only a nice guy but a real craftsman with wood. The new Fc212 horns are beautiful. Carol commented that she had never seen a cleaner wood shop. Greg did his horn demo comparing his speaking voice through a stock Klipsch squawker and through his V-Trac horn. The V-trac certainly sounded more natural to my ear.

Then it was on to Greg's home. There we met his gracious wife and 2 friendly dogs. In the large living room his modded Khorns were along the long wall in "test mode". Greg had them hooked up to a tube output CD player through a Creek volume pot to a Behringer active crossover to 3 T-amps wired directly to the drivers. He explained that he's been experimenting with crossover points and slopes in preparation for building a new passive crossover. We played jazz and pop from Jackson Brown to Diana Krall to Boz Scaggs more jazz and classical even some bluegrass and electronica. We went back and forth with Greg playing a cut then me, etc. If this is test mode, I'd like to hear this system dialed in with tubes! Sitting in Greg's designated prime spot the sound was big, wide open and dynamic. Made my stock Khorns sound pinched by comparison. Center fill was palpable despite the wide corners with singers almost present in the room. The detail was excellent with the music and musicians' expressiveness nicely served. Bass was powerful. Several hours later it was clear that Greg likes his music much louder than I do. This system came alive dynamically easily and even at my moderate volume preferences was very engaging.

Bravo Greg! You've got me saving up for my own Khorn mods. and thanks again for the hospitality!

Took a day trip up to Greg's place mid-Maine last week. A very rainy sunday but we weren't going for the hiking or kayaking! My wife Carol and I met Greg at his Benton workshop and let ourselves in. Greg was working on some new horns and had the MCM shop system up LOUD! Once we caught his attention we got the royal tour. Greg has one of the "cutaway" Klipschorns. Fascinating to see the path of the famous bass bin. I'm moderately knowledgeable about audio but new to Klipsch and horns. Greg was great about answering questions from both Carol and I. He is not only a nice guy but a real craftsman with wood. The new Fc212 horns are beautiful. Carol commented that she had never seen a cleaner wood shop. Greg did his horn demo comparing his speaking voice through a stock Klipsch squawker and through his V-Trac horn. The V-trac certainly sounded more natural to my ear.

Then it was on to Greg's home. There we met his gracious wife and 2 friendly dogs. In the large living room his modded Khorns were along the long wall in "test mode". Greg had them hooked up to a tube output CD player through a Creek volume pot to a Behringer active crossover to 3 T-amps wired directly to the drivers. He explained that he's been experimenting with crossover points and slopes in preparation for building a new passive crossover. We played jazz and pop from Jackson Brown to Diana Krall to Boz Scaggs more jazz and classical even some bluegrass and electronica. We went back and forth with Greg playing a cut then me, etc. If this is test mode, I'd like to hear this system dialed in with tubes! Sitting in Greg's designated prime spot the sound was big, wide open and dynamic. Made my stock Khorns sound pinched by comparison. Center fill was palpable despite the wide corners with singers almost present in the room. The detail was excellent with the music and musicians' expressiveness nicely served. Bass was powerful. Several hours later it was clear that Greg likes his music much louder than I do. This system came alive dynamically easily and even at my moderate volume preferences was very engaging.

Bravo Greg! You've got me saving up for my own Khorn mods. and thanks again for the hospitality!

You're welcome. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. Not many people make the trek to my neck of the woods, which is too bad because I always enjoy having people over to listen to the systems.

Greg

What amp are you using?

I would try to replace the preamp with a Conrad Johnson PV5 or a PV6 (if you are into vinyl) and whatever power amp you have with a Conrad Johnson MV50 or MV75. CJs sound great with horns. I am using a PV6 and MV50 with my Altec Valencias/Flamencos (replacing parasound 1000A and 120 with Kenwood 700c). I am extremely satisfied with the improve smoothness in both speakers.I will try them with my Khorns next.....

Unless you have the Parasound JC1/JC2 combo....