I need a turntable.

You have some pretty nice gear there. IMHO $500 for a turntable/arm/pickup is not going to do it justice, but...........

If its new your best bet is something like an entry level Rega or Project. If you go used, you really need some experience to sort things out. A Thorens/Shure or Grado combo would be a good start.

Thanks

Yeah, $500 is pennies in the audio hi-fi world but I don't have a lot of money to work off of (I'm a poor college student). I was fortunate to inherit the MC 30s from my grandpa and I got the preamp for $120. The La Scalas will set me back about a grand.

For now a "cheap" turntable will have to do until I can afford a better one.

Scour ebay and audiogon. You can find a used Rega, pro-ject, Thorens and others. You can probably get them for $300-$400. Spend the rest on a cart.

+1 on that

Plus look on Craigslist but just make sure what you are getting and paying for it.

James

I think my buddy that is selling all his albums is selling his collection of turntables as well. If I am not mistaken they are all linear tracking ones. If interested I can shoot you his email.

Guest David H

I think I might settle on a Debut iii in black (they seem to go for a little cheaper than the P1). I'll probably upgrade the cartridge later on. I really love the style of both tables (sleek and minimalistic). It's exactly what i'm looking for to go with the decor

Good choice, I really liked my Debut III. I replaced the stock cart with Shure M-97-XE, was a nice combo. Steer clear of the Grado Carts if using a Project table, Grado's sound good but are not sheilded and hummmmmmmmm as the arm gets close to the motor.

Forgot to add, with the Shure cart, the optional counterbalance is required.

Dave

A little side track....

Steer clear of the Grado Carts if using a Project table, Grado's sound good but are not sheilded and hummmmmmmmm as the arm gets close to the motor

How do Grado carts sound on a Thorens?

James

James, it's not so much the turntable as the arm. The arm mass and cartridge mass & compliance need to be properly matched or there will be resonace problems and resonance problems lead to tracking problems and so on.

I will also (again) go on "record" (pun intended [8-|] ) that IMO direct drive tables stink. Anything a direct drive can do a belt drive can do better, except start fast.If you're a DJ you want direct drive. If rumble, isolation and speed accuracy, musicality, etc are important then you want a belt drive.

And, regarding the hum issues, some cartridges, such as Decca and Grado will have 60Hz hum issues on any turntable with a synchronous AC motor if the motor is too close nearby or installed in the TT chassis.The only convenient way to overcome this is to use a DC motor.

I have a grado silver that was not so good on a debut III, ok on a thorens 124 with rega 300 and a thick mat, better on a thorens 150 with a rega 300, and best on a well tempered table with the well tempered arm.

This gives you an idea of how a good cartridge can vary by the arm/table.

I have never spent more than $900 for a cartridge. Most of mine are in the $300-$700 range.

My thorens 124 with an ortofon AS309 arm is best with a Zu 103 or micro benz ace ho. To me they both sound better that the ortofon classic spu ($900 used).

The rega arms do really well the ortofon m2 series of cartridges.

Since my Debut III should be here any minute now, I had decided to run down to my local record store to start building up my collection. I didn't expect anything good but I think I scored fairly well with these:

4630199672_e8fb0ab123.jpg

Not bad for a first find.

Now to find some Coltrane, Brubeck, Marsalis, etc.