NOOOOOOOOO! Was The Sound They Heard....

Gilbert

Went fishin this past weekend at Choke Canyon Lake, just 40min. south of SanAntonio. Hooked my biggest bass in over40 yrs. Fought the old girl for about 5 min., before bringing her next to the boat. When this monster tried to jump out of the water to shake my hook, just 20 ft away, she could only jump out halfway, because she was so heavy and full of roe. When my fishing buddy and I saw her come out of the water, we looked at each other and said "OMG" at the same time. What a monster fish she was.

I had gotten her good and tired after a while, and had her sitting quitely right next to the boat for about 30 seconds, I yelled to my buddy, "She's a 12 pounder, easy!!". And while my fishing buddy was frantically looks for the net...., I said, "Don't have one, shyt!!!". So I attempted to lift up my line with fish and all. The next few seconds past by in SLOW-MOTION, as I watch one hook bend outward about 90 degrees, and another hook rip from the skin in that HUGE mouth. Plop, right back into the water (where she would have gone after the photo shoot that never happened). And then, all was silent as I yelled at the top of my voice and with all the air my lungs could hold, ......... and then, NOooooooooooooooooooo!, was the sound that every fisherman on that lake heard at 7:00am, Friday, May 14th.

My heart is broken. Another fishing story in the books.

Booohooo

Gilbert,

If we are ever lucky enough to meet in this lifetime, I have a photo album that belonged to my grandfather I would like to share with you.

My grandfather was a fisherman of fishermen, He built a house on estero Island (Ft. Meyers Beach) Florida, and built a Cabin on an Island in Lake Nippising Ontario near LaVine. He would winter in Florida and Summer in Canada so he could fish year round and his boat was always in the back yard. He kept a Journal in Florida of the moon, the tides, the temperature, the over cast and the barametric pressure for 30 years and could always take you too the fish.

I have a full body mount 43 pound Muskie on the wall that he caught twice. He knew this as another fisherman on the island made custom fishing lures and the first time it broke his line. The second time he caught it a week later on 40 pound test with a Johnstons silver minow spoon, it still had the home made lure in it's mouth, so don't give up on that old girl, my grandfather sure wouldn't have.

Roger

Went fishin this past weekend at Choke Canyon Lake, just 40min. south of SanAntonio. Hooked my biggest bass in over40 yrs. Fought the old girl for about 5 min., before bringing her next to the boat. When this monster tried to jump out of the water to shake my hook, just 20 ft away, she could only jump out halfway, because she was so heavy and full of roe.

Well, that mother fish's escape may result in a few hundred more fish being there for the catching in a year or two. That's nothing to cry about.

Gilbert,

You got the fight you wanted, got 'er to the boat where you would have released anyway. Pics are nice but memories last forever.

And.....don't try that "landing" again. Try "lipping" next time. But watchout for the hooks.

We've all done something we shouldn't have at one time or another.

• Moderators

At least you got to see the fish, it's worse when it gets off before you can see even the size. I have never caught a Bass over half that size, although I spent most of my time fishing saltwater.

A picture would have been nice but at least you came closer than many people with a fish that size.

Gilbert,

You got the fight you wanted, got 'er to the boat where you would have released anyway. Pics are nice but memories last forever.

And.....don't try that "landing" again. Try "lipping" next time. But watchout for the hooks.

We've all done something we shouldn't have at one time or another.

I thought about that, but pussed-out because of the hooks. Won't ever do that again, she was worth the risk. All I wanted was the picture, and to give that gargantuan sow a big kiss. She's still there though, maybe next time.... there's always next time.

" How big was it ?.....................It was SO Big.............."Confused

Your a cruel man Bill..... [;)],.....

And here's a bloody picture for the Montana Sheep Guy... only it's of a beautifu Falcon that watched us fish in a different spot. This fella let us get right-up close & personal with him. It's always nice to see these birds of prey on the lake, their the best fishermen of all time. I always had a soft spot in my heart for the raptors.

post-12381-1381958394959_thumb.jpg

Look at the claws on that thing !...............bet he could have grabbed that fish. Super AngryEmbarrassed

He'd a gripped it good, but don't think he'd a flown off with her. Here's one from the beautiful Texas Gulf. Notice, he's got a nice speckeled trout hanging on his stringer.

post-12381-13819583971632_thumb.jpg

Choke Canyon is a beautiful big bass lake, but it's also stump city. You're boat will come back with scars, guaranteed. And watch out for the aligators, there are some big'uns there. 12 foot, plus or minus a few inches is biggest I've seen, and that's big enough to tell me, don't get too relaxed when you decide to take a dip in the 110 + deg. afternoon sun.

The lake consistently ranks as one of Texas's best monster bass lakes. Every bit as good and better than some of these great Texas bass lakes, Amistad, Flacon, Fork or Rayburn. I've been on all these, and they are all excellentbig bass lakes, but Falcon, Amistad and Choke Canyon are my 3 favorites for big bass...... On a crazy side note, if you visit Florida and like golf, go to the Cherry Hills Golf course just north of Tampa. Fishing is awsome at a water hazard near the no. 4 or 5 fairway, I can't remember exactly, it's been a while. There are some lunkers lurking around in that water hazard, huge fish. The maintenance people had to run me off more than few times. Gotta get there before the golfers arrive or after they've gone. Huge ole florida bass in there, had my line stripped and wrapped up many times. It was a real water hazard, hehehehehe.

That has not happened to me in a while. LOL I still remember my worst fishing loss. I was about 16, fishing on the bank of the North Branch of the Susquehanna River when I had to pee. Had not had any bites all day so I went to relieve myself only to turn to see my fishing pole skimming across the top of the river. Brand new Garcia Spinning rod and Daiwa spinning reel.