New/different preamp?

hap

My SO and I have been enjoying our Will Vincent Dynaco ST-70 driving our 1976 Heresys for some time.

Mostly classical form souces as varies as CDs, DVDs, vinyl and Squeezebox.

Our preamp is a holdover Creek OBH-12 passive with remote.

We wonder what <$1000 preamp with remote would improve our already enjoyable sound enough to make us wnat to change?

Any opinions, suggestions, biases will be appreciated...

• Like 1

My SO and I have been enjoying our Will Vincent Dynaco ST-70 driving our 1976 Heresys for some time.

Our preamp is a Creek OBH-12 passive with remote.

We wonder what <$1000 preamp with remote would improve our already enjoyable sound enough to make us wnat to change?

I guess my first question would be what is unsatisfying to you about the Creek that makes you consider replacing it?

No active preamp can equal the sound of a passive line stage, assuming that your source can put out enough voltage to drive the amp to the power levels you desire. In the eighties, when passive line stages were more popular, we built many for audiophiles. Typically, we used a single high quality resistor (such as a Caddock) between the input and output; the volume control was either a high quality Alps pot, or a stepped attenuator with metal film resistors. Assuming the amp was quiet, the sound seemed to emerge from a background of total silence- absolutely no hiss or hum, even with one's ear against the speaker (back than we were using K-horns for the testing prior to delivery). By using short (less than 6 feet long), low capacitance interconnects, there was virtually no high frequency rolloff. Why the passive line stages fell out of popularity is beyond me.

Maybe familiarity. We've had it a long time, always with solid state amps and wonder 1) if someone has had experience with it driving tubes in general or a Dynaco ST-70 in particular or 2) if someone has a Dynaco ST-70 driving Heresys has a preamp he/she thinks is particularily synergistic.

• Like 1

Why the passive line stages fell out of popularity is beyond me.

Mccormack would agree. But I have definately seen instances that an amp needs to be powered by an active pre. Some folks swear that certain amps just "lack" unless pushed.

At the end of the day, an active pre-amp, along with things like clips and bananna plugs are another connection/potential for distortion.

The only reason I can see for decline is: bells and whistles, and HT. Seems like the bulk of the buyers want remote control with all kinds of options. I have read more than a few posts referring to an EQ, another noise and distortion inducing device. "I can eq that out!" (By amplifying distortion?)

Sometimes, less is more. Ok, most times less is more.

For any 2 ch tube application the Peach is a no brainer. The peach 2 has a remote

[Y]

If you didn't need a remote, the Merlin would be a lower cost option.

(the Juicy Music products, unfortunately, are no longer made)

If you didn't need a remote, the Merlin would be a lower cost option.

(the Juicy Music products, unfortunately, are no longer made)

The merlin is more my speed. There is only so much complexity and expense that can go into a passive preamp. Adding more circuitry (remote or whatever) doesn't make it sound better to me, and isn't worth over 2 times the price. I have had good luck with mccormack TLC, Creek and a few others that were not over a grand. A DIY passive is just a few parts in a box--an attenuator. Adding more parts won't make the path cleaner.

As long as it can drive a sub. I prefer heresey's and smaller with a sub.

I intend to build an attenuator box pre from diyhifisupply. Basic parts are $119. I can always upgrade the pot to a Penny & Giles.

"A DIY passive is just a few parts in a box--an attenuator. Adding more parts won't make the path cleaner."

Agree totally. In fact, for those who are handy, and want to experience one with absolutely minimal expense, pick up a cheap aluminum mini-box, a couple of Radio Shack RCA jacks, a 10-15k metal film resistor, and a 10k pot. Wire the resistor between the center terminal of the input and output jacks; connect the pot's wiper (middle terminal) to the output jack, and the end to ground (viewed from the back, use the terminal on the left). Make one for each channel, or put both in the same box. You won't believe the sound that you get! Radio Shack's 10k pot with switch (271-215) used to be made by Alps and was extremely quiet (the switch can be easily removed). Less than 20 bucks for amazing sound- not too bad. If you are driving any of the Heritage speakers at reasonable volume levels, the passive attentuator will allow your amp to deliver more than enough power.

"A DIY passive is just a few parts in a box--an attenuator. Adding more parts won't make the path cleaner."

Agree totally. In fact, for those who are handy, and want to experience one with absolutely minimal expense, pick up a cheap aluminum mini-box, a couple of Radio Shack RCA jacks, a 10-15k metal film resistor, and a 10k pot. Wire the resistor between the center terminal of the input and output jacks; connect the pot's wiper (middle terminal) to the output jack, and the end to ground (viewed from the back, use the terminal on the left). Make one for each channel, or put both in the same box. You won't believe the sound that you get! Radio Shack's 10k pot with switch (271-215) used to be made by Alps and was extremely quiet (the switch can be easily removed). Less than 20 bucks for amazing sound- not too bad. If you are driving any of the Heritage speakers at reasonable volume levels, the passive attentuator will allow your amp to deliver more than enough power.

I used to upgrade Jolida amps with ALPS pots. Small expense, noticable improvement. (Not just sound, but mechanically).

Juicy music no longer made- Bummer- Get them while you can- used here or on AG- If the economy comes back I see these(and VRDs) as stupid money modern classics.

I have run mine with 2 sets of tube mono blocs and several SS mac amps. The peach is a solid performer with anything. Shame that they are no longer made.They are pretty much the reference standard here on the forum. Check the profiles of the tube junkies.