noise/hiss in new Heresy IIIs

I have a Denon AVR-1603 (from maybe 1998) powering a pair of six-week-old Heresy IIIs. I'm very impressed by the clarity of these speakers, but there is a growing amount of noise (a hissing) showing up - even some crackling sounds at higher volumes. I wonder if the speakers are revealing the shortcomings of the receiver, which is to say that its easier for me to believe that its the receiver's fault than the loudspeakers'.

Because the noise seems to have increased over the last six weeks, I fear that they may be suffering irreparable damage. Any advice?

I'm interested if there's anything I can do with the receiver (some sort of cleaning maybe?), but also possibly in purchasing another. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The speakers are probably amplifying poor contacts with cables or worn out components within your receiver.

Unplugging and then reconnecting all of the cables in your system would be one thing to try.

Otherwise your new speakers deserve a new receiver!

I have a Denon AVR-1603 (from maybe 1998) powering a pair of six-week-old Heresy IIIs. I'm very impressed by the clarity of these speakers, but there is a growing amount of noise (a hissing) showing up - even some crackling sounds at higher volumes. I wonder if the speakers are revealing the shortcomings of the receiver, which is to say that its easier for me to believe that its the receiver's fault than the loudspeakers'.

Because the noise seems to have increased over the last six weeks, I fear that they may be suffering irreparable damage. Any advice?

I'm interested if there's anything I can do with the receiver (some sort of cleaning maybe?), but also possibly in purchasing another. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kumar,

Congrats on your new Heresys. I'd start by using some contact cleaner on each of the mating surfaces between your receiver and other components. Give the RCA connectors on both the receiver and the source component, along with the RCA connectors on your cables, a good cleaning. If that doesn't clear it up, it's possible you have a bad interconnect cable. Cleaning and replacing interconnects are relatively inexpensive steps compared to replacing receivers, so they make good starting points.

Thanks for the advice - I'll start by cleaning and reconnecting, etc.

The question that remains for me is: does the noise damage the speakers in any way, i.e., should I not use them in the interim.

Also: I am now interested in a new receiver or integrated amp. The idea of a tube/valve amp appeals to me - having read opinions about their agreement with horn-driven loudspeakers - but I don't know quite where to begin. What other componentry will I need (equalizer, something to alternate between channels)? Do tube amps typically have digital inputs? Would I need an external DAC if using AirTunes? Is using a tube amp to listen to a digital source somehow wrong (ideologically, technically)?

Opinions, advice, musings - all greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

The idea of a tube/valve amp appeals to me - having read opinions about their agreement with horn-driven loudspeakers - but I don't know quite where to begin.

Oh No he is thinking about going to the dark side ! [:o] Someone hurry up and help him before he looses control...

Welcome to the forum, nice choice of speakers ! [H]

You were very funny in that movie Kumar, you and that other guy trying to go to the whitecastle. [Y] [;)]

OK just kidding, I know it wasn't you...was it ? [:P]