Ideal soundcard for Klipsch Promedia 4.1: QMSS surround from stereo and Dolby Digital

Bocaj

I have had an eye on the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speakers for some time now, but have been uncertain which sound card is ideal for my purposes. I hope to use my system primarily for music, Dolby digital video, and rarely if ever games.

The sound card and considered most seriously is the Philips Acoustic Edge, particularly because of its QMSS system for distributing an original stereo signal onto four speakers, rather than just mirroring the front speakers with the back speakers. The only thing that dissuades me from going with the AE is rumor that it provides weak base with the Promedia 4.1 and doesn't properly down mix in Dolby Digital signal onto a 4.1 system (I realize that they Klipsch' use a phantom center). I would like to know if this is the case or if Philips has since resolved this problem.

Considering that the majority of the signal my system receives will be stereo, QMSS, or a comparable equivalent, is of high-priority for me. I have looked for other alternatives that feature QMSS, and the only one found so far is the Aztech PCI 386-DSP. Aside from its QMSS and other QSound technology its features are less than impressive (http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/Aztech_368DSP/Aztech_368DSP_reviews.html; I still don't know what A3D, DS3D, and Q3D mean). I could be wrong, but I doubt it's that spectacular when the prices listed at $25.

A few other sound cards share AE's sound engine: FM801, Mushroom Siren Audio I, Abit AU10, and Best Data Theatrix Dolby 5.1. I can't tell from the reviews (http://www.3dss.com/reviews.html#Soundcard) if they feature QMSS, but I imagine they're otherwise better cards.

I am curious if the aforementioned cards would properly emulate 3D sound from a stereo source? If so, would they suit my needs for convincing stereo surround and my desire to take advantage of Dolby Digital (again with the phantom center) desktop DVD using hardware or software decoder. Or, alternatively, could I purchase an Aztech PCI 386-DSP as an audio engine for stereo sources and use an alternative, say, Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or comparable sound card for other applications? Could these sound cards both be installed on the motherboard simultaneously and easily switched depending on my application?

Provided that I achieve proper surround emulation from a stereo source, can I still take advantage of a Dolby Digital either included in a bundle, purchase simultaneously, or later down the road? Would be using two sound cards the redundant?

I would appreciate explicit advice as to how I can attain best attain my objectives for rich surround emulation when playing MP3s, CDs, or video with a stereo signal and the best possible reproduction of the Dolby Digital surround when playing DVDs or a negligable amount of games. Please include suggested hardware and software for attaining DVD and Dolby Digital surround with the advised Klipsch/sound card combination. I've been deliberating my selection for hardware to best complement my long-awaited Klipsch Promedia 4.1 system (my $15 distorted speakers in the meantime are wearing pretty thin for someone who appreciates fine audio). I don't mind spending as much as to$300 of hardware to complement the Klipsch system (but hopefully less). Respond concisely if you must, but I'd greatly appreciate comprehensive answers to help me ensure I ultimately have a relatively optimal system, without spending the ridiculous costs entailed in buying something slightly better like the Sirocco Crassfires. I just can't wait to get the Klipsch, but it's futile to get them until I have the ideal sound card to make the most of them. I'm sure I'm not the only potential Klipsch owner that wants to take full advantage of these remarkable speakers. Once I get this resolved, Klipsch THX bliss here I come. I'll share my experience with those on the bulletin board if given the proper prescription for the ideal Klipsch system for my budget ($400-$600). I'd greatly appreciate any and all responses to my questions posted on what I have found is an informative bulletin board. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Bocajacob Brisbine