2-channel Sub connection

I have a Blueberry that runs into VRD's. Can I connect y-splitters on the Blueberry main outs and run 1 signal to the VRD's and the other to my Klipsch Sub 10 Low /level Connection? I cannot connect via High Level Connections so that is not an option. Advice most welcome!

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by full range. I use the RF 83s for HT. I use my La Scalas for 2-channel. Thanks for the quick input.

When running a system with a sub there are two ways to run the system

1. Fullrange: the main speakers run normally, the subwoofer runs as well, hopefully blended to support the main speakers cleanly where the main speakers bass starts to roll off. (like 40hz for example)

2. Cut off: the main speakers are electronically cut off at a certain point (like 80hz) and the subwoofer runs the bass from 80hz down.

I prefer method 1: I like to let the mains do what they were designed to.

I went to the source (Mark) and asked him the same question regarding my Peach and VRD stereo (I am using a SVS PB12/Plus-2 sub). The answer is YES. Take a quality "Y" splitter from the pre-amp and make a run to the amp and to the sub. MY sub sums the signal internally when both L&R are connected. I was concerned about ehhh, voltage, current, output or whatever from the Peach. Mark told me that the preamp could be split many ways without worry.

Regarding 4tays post above you could, if desired, put a high frequency trap in line to the VRD that trapped out the frequencies you wanted sent to the sub and not be sent t to the main speakers. I chose to use my on board crossover on the SVS sub and allow the Belles to run wide open. Further testing may change that setup: you know the drill; your stuff, your room, etc....

I went to the source (Mark) and asked him the same question regarding my Peach and VRD stereo (I am using a SVS PB12/Plus-2 sub). The answer is YES. Take a quality "Y" splitter from the pre-amp and make a run to the amp and to the sub. MY sub sums the signal internally when both L&R are connected. I was concerned about ehhh, voltage, current, output or whatever from the Peach. Mark told me that the preamp could be split many ways without worry.

Thanks!!

Gary, I would run cables from the preamp to the sub and then to the amps (I am guessing the sub has left and right inputs and outputs.) Use the crossover on the sub and adjust to your liking. This is what Velodyne recommends. I have used the sub both ways and prefer Velodyne's recommendation.

Frank

1. Fullrange: the main speakers run normally, the subwoofer runs as well, hopefully blended to support the main speakers cleanly where the main speakers bass starts to roll off. (like 40hz for example)

2. Cut off: the main speakers are electronically cut off at a certain point (like 80hz) and the subwoofer runs the bass from 80hz down.

I prefer method 1: I like to let the mains do what they were designed to.

I agree with running the speakers full-range. It doesn't "stress" the speakers or the amp and the sound is noticeably more full than with the speakers set at Small. However, I should point out that with La Scalas, the bass starts to roll off at about 100Hz and is nearly all gone by 50Hz, so allowing for the top of the sub's range to start rolling off, you may need to set the sub's cut-off at 100Hz or higher to get a smooth blend with no peaks or dips.

I agree with running the speakers full-range. It doesn't "stress" the speakers or the amp and the sound is noticeably more full than with the speakers set at Small. However, I should point out that with La Scalas, the bass starts to roll off at about 100Hz and is nearly all gone by 50Hz, so allowing for the top of the sub's range to start rolling off, you may need to set the sub's cut-off at 100Hz or higher to get a smooth blend with no peaks or dips.

I don't believe a receiver with its own crossover is part of the question here. The question here is to use a "y" splitter or to pass through the sub first. Probably, with the La Scala, it doesn't matter, especially with a 10" sub, but running through the sub crossover allows much more flexibility in the adjustment of the signal and could cut down on distortion in the Scala woofer. On the other hand, some people like distortion. Personal preference.

Frank

Thanks for the hint here Frank, I never thought of using the sub's crossover. That will be cheaper than buying another SMS-1, I need to verify that I can use a stereo input into the SMS-1 and use the 2 sub outs, hummm.

I probably won't leave my sub in the two channel, just wanted to give it a shot robbing the SVS PB12 +2 from the HT. My problem is that the sub would be 15 feet away from the electronics so 30' of inter-connects from preamp to amp with sub in-line.

Butting in a little...

So I have 7's and now a new nice xpa-3. If I run full range, I let the 7's handle the bass until 34hz or so, then what happens to the remaining signal to them? I was under the impression if you ran full range and the mains had a signal around 20hz, you would lose that signal. Sorry for the noon question, subs and signals still condfuse me.

Butting in a little... So I have 7's and now a new nice xpa-3. If I run full range, I let the 7's handle the bass until 34hz or so, then what happens to the remaining signal to them? I was under the impression if you ran full range and the mains had a signal around 20hz, you would lose that signal. Sorry for the noon question, subs and signals still condfuse me.

When I had my 7s I set the sub crossover around 60hz in the pre/pro. Although 80hz is recommended, I liked it better around 60 (a friend of mine has Velodyne 18" subs with Mcintosh speakers and he crosses over at 40hz using his Acurus pre/pro, individual preference, main speakers, sub size and power can make a difference.) With the Cornwalls I have now, I turned off the sub in the pre/pro and I'm feeding the full range to the sub and crossing over there at 60hz. That eliminated one crossover from the system, which I think sounds better (the question then becomes which has the better crossover?). Many will disagree with me but that is my preference. Nice clean bass with no thumping taking place. I listen to a lot of organ music and the frequency can go quite low sometimes. It is just a matter of experimentation. To answer your question, any frequency below the range of the 7's is lost and I'll bet it is higher than the rated 32hz. A good sub fills that void.

If I run full range, I let the 7's handle the bass until 34hz or so, then what happens to the remaining signal to them? I was under the impression if you ran full range and the mains had a signal around 20hz, you would lose that signal.

If you use a test CD and a sound level meter to check the low-end response of your speakers, you'll see that below a certain point the volume produced will get lesser and lesser. The speakers may produce some sound all the way down to 20Hz or lower, but it will be next to inaudible.

However, the signal is not lost. If you have your pre-amp bass mode set to Both or whatever setting allows the speakers and the sub(s) to both receive the bass signal (the sub will only receive signal below the preset frequency, while the speakers will receive the full range of the signal), the sub and speakers will both receive the signal. None will be "lost". In the lower frequency range, there will be some sound from the sub and some from the speakers, down to the point where you can't hear the speakers and only hear the sub.

If you have the speakers set to Small, they will not receive any signal lower in frequency than the pre-amp's low-end cutoff frequency, meaning that the sub alone will be covering the very bottom end.

The setting that sounds more realistic to your ears in your room is the correct setting.

The signal is not power, it is a message. If the sergeant tells one soldier or two or ten to do something, they all get the message.

Butting in a little... So I have 7's and now a new nice xpa-3. If I run full range, I let the 7's handle the bass until 34hz or so, then what happens to the remaining signal to them? I was under the impression if you ran full range and the mains had a signal around 20hz, you would lose that signal. Sorry for the noon question, subs and signals still condfuse me.

Check your manual to see if the UMC-1 allows full range + LFE. From what I can read on-line, it seems to make you choose a crossover point based on 10hz increments.

I believe that your sub has a bypass switch. Check it to see and, if it does, you can use the crossover in the UMC-1. This is what Emotiva says about having two crossovers in the circuit:

If you are using a preamplifier/processor that employs its own low pass controls, disengage the Low Pass Filter on the subwoofer by setting the switch to ‘BYPASS’, allowing the preamplifier/processor to control the Low Pass crossover point.

NOTE: Using more than one Low Pass Filter at a time is not recommended as it can cause inaccurate phase response or unpredictable phase shifting in the pass band.

I probably won't leave my sub in the two channel, just wanted to give it a shot robbing the SVS PB12 +2 from the HT

I tried the same and I'm with you, the sub is out of my 2-channel. Nice try but just didn't improve the sound enough to keep. Just thought I'd give it a try. Thanks all!!! Recently I found a Crown PSA-2 on Ebay for $300. It totally transformed my HT to the next level. Made in the 70's these things are tanks. 275w/8ohm460w/4ohm700/2ohm! The sound is incredible. Just in cse someone's looking for a power amp for their HT I highly recommend these, I'm actually looking for another.

I probably won't leave my sub in the two channel, just wanted to give it a shot robbing the SVS PB12 +2 from the HT

I tried the same and I'm with you, the sub is out of my 2-channel. Nice try but just didn't improve the sound enough to keep. Just thought I'd give it a try. Thanks all!!! Recently I found a Crown PSA-2 on Ebay for $300. It totally transformed my HT to the next level. Made in the 70's these things are tanks. 275w/8ohm460w/4ohm700/2ohm! The sound is incredible. Just in cse someone's looking for a power amp for their HT I highly recommend these, I'm actually looking for another.
I have the required cables arriving soon and have obtained the technical info on using my SVS sub alone or using the sub with SMS-1. I will check it out and see but at this point I see the sub going back to HT and not buying another to use one in HT and one in two channel. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and then be begging for an SVS ultra....to go HT or stereo????

thanks for the response. i have been waiting for an email notification but i guess i never set this tread to give them to me. i was wondering if i just asked a really dumb question....lol

about the 60hz, that's where i had them set with the onkyo. i did like it better than 80hz. i didn't go lower because, well no reason, i just quit at that Hz value. i think one time i did 40hz but changed it back real quick. not sure why, but once i get this monster headache of a system back up and running i will play around some more. i just bought a 50' XLR cable and don't even want to use it. i should have done some research on how they are made and what they are made of. i am going to replace it with the twisted pair i am making my "directional" RCA cables out of. just one more thing for me to do before i can hit the power button.

so the bottom line is, set the speakers to "large" adjust the crossover on the sub, and rock on. my main speakers will get the signal (all of it) but won't be able to "play it" after a certain point. my sub mean while will get the same signal and pretty much from 80hz (if that's where i set the crossover) and below will play it. so my sub and main speaker will both get the same signal and will play it at the same time. okay, i got it.

can't wait until my crossovers are done, i am redoing the LF board and replacing the inductor. Jeff (Sonic Craft) gave me a really good recommendation for the inductor and i hope it plays like he said it should.