is a pair of LS enough?

Arash

hi there

I'm going to be a LS owner soon... i have a question... is a pair of Lascala enough to have a good sound performance? i have no idea about acustic-sudio systems but i've heard that LS will give a good performance... what's your idea? is a LS enough for me as a amator or its better to add a Heresy or cornwall?

tnx alot

hi there

I'm going to be a LS owner soon... i have a question... is a pair of Lascala enough to have a good sound performance? i have no idea about acustic-sudio systems but i've heard that LS will give a good performance... what's your idea? is a LS enough for me as a amator or its better to add a Heresy or cornwall?

tnx alot

Arash,

The La Scala is one of the classic speakers & it's sound is probably an acquired taste, however I think you'll find it will serve you well. It may need a bit of reinforcement in the bottom end, so a good sub would be handy. If this is your first venture into quality sound speaker systems I think you'll love them. Good luck.

hi there

tnx alot

That kinda depends on if your first name is Roger, or you have the last name of Colter!! [Y]

Beware my friend, many bad habits have started out with "Just a pair of LaScalas"

Many have thought they could keep the Heritage line of Klipsch as a recreational thing and fell deep into addiction!! [6]

Roger

hi there

tnx alot

Arash,

The La Scala is one of the classic speakers & it's sound is probably an acquired taste, however I think you'll find it will serve you well. It may need a bit of reinforcement in the bottom end, so a good sub would be handy. If this is your first venture into quality sound speaker systems I think you'll love them. Good luck.

tnx alot

Edited by Arash

NO!

Is having the sun rise once good enough?LOL

But really, one pair makes you happy, two, twice as much, three and your head, house, wallet and wife explode at the same time.

It was realy funny... thanks .... explode... what is the best choice if one wants to make 2 pair of Klipsch floorstanding heritages???? I'm in for a pair of LaScala.... and the other would be Cornwalll or Klipschorm... which one is better? I think Klipschorm is better and more classic but its harder to build the cabinets... if there is a goog exact plan of Klipschorm then i'll prefer it... a pair of LS and a Pair of Klipschorm... what's your idea? [:)]

It was realy funny... thanks .... explode... what is the best choice if one wants to make 2 pair of Klipsch floorstanding heritages???? I'm in for a pair of LaScala.... and the other would be Cornwalll or Klipschorm... which one is better? I think Klipschorm is better and more classic but its harder to build the cabinets... if there is a goog exact plan of Klipschorm then i'll prefer it... a pair of LS and a Pair of Klipschorm... what's your idea? Smile

What's your goal? Can you clearly describe what you want to achieve, and/or what problem you have that you're trying to solve? Maybe it's just me, but I always like to have a desired result that defines the project, and then drive the build toward that objective. I find that if I build something just to see where it ends up, I'm either not happy with the result, or I'm never done, or both. If you can clarify your goal, that will help answer your questions.

i have a question... is a pair of Lascala enough to have a good sound performance?

It all depends on what you're listening to. For mono, one La Scala is plenty; for stereo, you'll want two; for surround, five to seven La Scalas are recommended.

You can also add some Belles to mix up the styles a bit while maintaining compatible sound.

I had

Cornwall IIs for decades, but once I heard the larger, smoother mid-range of

the LS, I graduated to Khorns. The LS however have no mid and lower bass (below

40Hz), so you need a powerful and deep sub-woofer (to match their powerful and

LOUD output. This is okay though, because it lets you combine a powerful

solid-state amp driving the power hungry bass notes with a delicate tube amp

driving the hyper-critical mid and high sound.

There are a lot of subs out there that can mate. There are subs from VMPS, SVS, HSU, Velodyne that can produce an undistorted 115db+ at 20hz that will have no issue keeping up.

Can you recommand me a JBL sub-woofer system which can mate klipsch?

i think a 18" Sub is good...what about tha amplification system?

An 18 inch sub might be good for movie explosions, but it could be a bit sluggish for musical transients like bass drumbeats. For realistic music reproduction a smaller sub or subs would likely do a better job.

I am in agreement. The possible exception might be the higher end 18" servo controlled velodyne, but I never put one through critical music paces. I prefer sealed box subs overall, with a stout power amp. The VMPS is a favorite just because it doesn't exhibit the slop a lot of big cone subs do. IMO--- an ideal sub would follow Infinity/VMPS/Genesis and others that use 2 or more 12" drivers. The smaller drivers tend to act more pistonically.

Given the challenges you face in getting commercially produced products from the US, it may be hard to beat thea DIY solution for performance and value. The Tuba Home Theater (THT) subs from Bill Fitzmaurice would be an excellent match to the La Scala horns. Plans and a forum are at http://www. billfitzmaurice.com and there are many many build threads and discussions at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155.

An 18 inch sub might be good for movie explosions, but it could be a bit sluggish for musical transients like bass drumbeats. For realistic music reproduction a smaller sub or subs would likely do a better job.

Islander,

I have to strongly disagree with this old wives tale. Yes, basic logic tells us that the 18" is moving more mass, so starting that movement will take more time and power, but 20 Hz is still 20 Hz, and 35 Hz, is still 35 Hz. It would seem that a 35 Hz signal with more excursion would take longer as well, but 35Hz is still 35 Hz. It has more to do with the quality of the driver, box construction, and good engineering than simple physics. I have a Velodyne HGS-10, and two Velodyne HGS-18IIs. I also own a Klipsch KPT 684 with twin 18 inch woofers. Can the Velodynes play the mid Bass the KPT 684 does, yes. Can the Velodyne HGSS 10 play mid bass like the KPT-684, yes. Can the Klipsch KPT-684 hit 20 Hz like the Velodyne HGS-10, or 15 Hz like the Velodyne HGS-18II, No! Can either the 10 inch Velodyne, or the 18 inch Velodyne play mid bass that sounds as good as the twin 18" cones in the Klipsch? No!

Alot of this [bs] about the "SLOWER" larger drivers comes from the sloppy sound of cheaper budget subs without enough electric motor for the displacement, and poor design.

Roger

Alot of this PWK BS Button about the "SLOWER" larger drivers comes from the sloppy sound of cheaper budget subs without enough electric motor for the displacement, and poor design.

Roger

We have a good bingo! There are a lot of "HT" subs out there in the 15 and even 18" variety that have a weak motor or poorly built cone. I like the 15 and 18" TC sounds, the motor structure is amazing, and it has a 2.6" xmax. The 15" driver alone costs as much as many budget subs. I mentioned the velodyne specifically because the 12 and 15" models are exteremly well engineered. I only heard the 18" during an HT demo, so it was hard for me to draw conclusions. I know Velodyne actually limits the distortion it's allowed to reproduce.

If you see an HT sub under a grand, chances are that 15" driver is about a $40.00-$50.00 part.