What Speaker wire should I choose???

Bilka316

Currently I am using Monster XP wire which I belive is 16 ga. The longest run I have is 25 ft. to my surround speakers. I am thinking about moving up to AudioQuest X2 which is 14ga. Is this worth the investment. You can see my current setup in my signature area. I guess I need to update that. I just purchased RS-62's for surround sound. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.[:D]

Options

1-Blue Jean cable # 12 ga cut and made to order.

2- Do some homework- act like you are a profesional contractor- buy the Belden equivalent of the blue jean cable in a 1000 ft roll for a song at a wholesale house off the internet or local- keep the extra for later or sell it to a buddy to do another system-this is my choice

or

3- monoprice # 12 Ga- same stuff as BJ- excellent value.

Personally I love audioquest but not for this application.

Thanks for your posts. I guess I am one of those people who over pay for stuff!! I always thought you should go with a higer end wire. Is this not the case?

All the suggestions that were made are for regular speaker wire that can be purchased at a hardware store. Does the higher priced speaker wire sold at audio stores not make a difference in sound quality? I want to buy something that has great sound reproduction. Can I get this with a basic 12ga. wire? Please advise!!

There are some differences in speaker cable geometry. Twisted-pair cables are said to reject interference due to the magnetic fields produced by the twisting of the two conductors, and there are quite a few other types of cable construction. Some start to sound like voodoo engineering, notably time-aligned cables.

When you're running cable to all your speakers in a surround set-up, those 100 foot rolls are the economical way to go.

You can get quality inexpensive twisted pair cable from KnuKonceptz. The model is Karma Kable and it comes in various sizes. The "SS" refers to the colour, Smoke and Silver.

More info here: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Karma%20SS%20Speaker%20Kable

Olorin - love your username and Rune.

"Olorin I was in my youth, in the West that is forgotten" - I loved digging through that "history" that Tolkien laid down. The first hardcover I bought - and still own - was The Silmarillion (first printing). Discovering the history of the Valar and the Maiar, and reading the brief reference given to him in it - gave me a thrill in my own youth, in the Midwest that is not quite forgotten...

• Moderators

I guess I am one of those people who over pay for stuff!!

We probably all did at one time or another...until we learned better.

Yes, unless you have palladium series 12
guage speaker wire from monoprice would be your best bet.

And why might I ask would monoprice not be a good idea for palladium speakers? I would argue that a higher price speaker does not necessitate the need for higher price cables.

And why might I ask would monoprice not be a good idea for palladium speakers? I would argue that a higher price speaker does not necessitate the need for higher price cables.

For psychological reasons. You don't want to feel like you're cheaping out after spending all that money for those great speakers.

You also don't want any nagging doubts that you're not hearing everything that those speakers can deliver, because you cheaped out on the speaker cables.

• Moderators

For psychological reasons. You don't want to feel like you're cheaping out after spending all that money for those great speakers.

I personally wouldn't feel guilty at all using monoprice cables with Palladiums or any other speakers.

You also don't want any nagging doubts that you're not hearing everything that those speakers can deliver, because you cheaped out on the speaker cables.

Again, this wouldn't be an issue because more expensive cables do not equate to better sound. The only thing it means is more money in my pocket. [;)]

The semi-annual speaker wire thread!!! LOLOL!!!

Before buying wire, one should know what the wire does (or does not) do... Here's Roger Russell's take. Russell was the former chief engineer for.... McIntosh Labs.....

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

As for me? I use Dayton Pro-Audio commercial 12 or 13 guage wire for speakers, and for internal wiring between drivers and crossovers when I rebuild a pair for someone. Good price, excellent quality, designed for long run pro applications, heavy duty flexible outer cover, etc., etc. If bought in a 30M (100 feet) roll it's about $0.61 a foot.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-481

Using $2000+ speaker wire with palladiums may produce a very small but positive effect on the speaker's sound. I am sure many true audiophiles would attest to this and be willing to spend that amount. The true audiophile being the person with the extremely large budget and a love and knowledge for sound.

I really like my new 62's. I think they might be a little overpowering for the space I have but they sound great in 6 channel stereo. I need to adjust the output so I can balance them with my front speakers. Great speakers probably better for a larger room. You shuold give them a try I don't think there is anything out there right now that is as good for the price.

Olorin - love your username and Rune.

"Olorin I was in my youth, in the West that is forgotten" - I loved digging through that "history" that Tolkien laid down. The first hardcover I bought - and still own - was The Silmarillion (first printing). Discovering the history of the Valar and the Maiar, and reading the brief reference given to him in it - gave me a thrill in my own youth, in the Midwest that is not quite forgotten...

Thanks Chuck. The Silmarillion is a fantastic journey, as are the Unfinished Tales. Tolkien had an amazing ability to describe things in such a way that you didn't feel like you were just reading the story, but that you were part of the history.

If you appreciate Tolkien, you might also enjoy Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire." It's unfinished, and he's getting older so there's a danger it will end that way, but the characters and storytelling are amazing. It starts with "A Game of Thrones" and is a thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable read.

/hijack