Belles vs KLF-30

rennoc442

Man I love them! They sound much better then my old klf-30's. Well I cant say that, the klf sound great too! I am just so impressed with the soundstage! I thought my center was on! Thats amazing! I do miss the klf-30's on some songs, but the the sound of everything else I was missing makes up for it!

I saw the thread was getting a lil crazy there! Im not worried, it really didnt involve me at all.

As far as the mid, the horn is made out of fiberglass! Am I seeing this right? I want to update the networks soon, I know the caps need to be replaced. I have heard about ALK, has anyone else?

What does everyone power their belles/la scallas with? My yammie is good for now, but I want something a little better.

Oh and how do you pull the lower grills off, or dont you? I wanted to clean them up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To get the lower grills off you have to remove the whole upper portion which includes the bottom panel of the upper section. You will then see four set screws for the top of each grill. Now turn the bell completely upside down and there are 4 more set screws for each grill. Possibly some on the bottom may be covered by the access panel on bottom. You may have to take the acess panel off to get to some of the screws. At this point all you have to do is remove the woofer and you have your belles completely torn apart. It will take a couple of hours to pull apart and put back together. You may want to just vaccum them with a brush attachment while they are in place.

What does everyone power their belles/la scallas with? My yammie is good for now, but I want something a little better.

Kimba,

Go listen to everything else, and then come over and listen to my VRD/BBX/TD-124 combo. I think a lot of it depends on your taste in music, as well as how loud you like to listen.The VRD's are very versatile, and will go as loud (cleanly) as you will ever need them to.

Mike

You can get some fine Yamaha electronics. I started this system with a Yamaha RX-V750 AV receiver and thought it was pretty good, but when I added the Yamaha MX-D1 amp to power the La Scalas (and the RX-V750 continued to power the centre and surround speakers), it took the sound to another level of clarity and authority.

It seemed like the system was complete, then a forum member offered me an MX-D1 amp to go with the one I had, another forum member had a pair of small Jubilee tweeters (consisting of K510 horns with K-69 drivers) that were surplus to his needs, I found a used E-V Dx38 processor online, and away we went!

Now, I'm using the V750 as a pre-amp, the Dx38 as an active crossover/EQ unit/delay unit, one MX-D1 to power the La Scala woofers, and the other one to power the K510/K-69 tweeters, and the sound is seriously good. You can see the Jubilee tweeter sitting on my right channel La Scala in the avatar. Now the La Scalas are described as 510 JubScalas.

The 12V trigger on the V750 turns both power amps on or off when it's switched on or off, so the set-up is convenient to use.

It took a while to get the system to this point, but if you keep an eye out for bargains and have some patience, it can be done, and done relatively affordably. Well, affordable relative to brand-new prices...

Yamaha also makes some pro sound amps that are highly thought of and not all that expensive.

Kimba,

Go listen to everything else, and then come over and listen to my VRD/BBX/TD-124 combo. I think a lot of it depends on your taste in music, as well as how loud you like to listen.The VRD's are very versatile, and will go as loud (cleanly) as you will ever need them to.

Mike

I think right now I will do just that! I will just enjoy them for now! I really want to get some mac amps in my setup, love those blues! And I love that its an american made product[Y] I want something I can use for both music and for my movies. I also would like it to have some power, in case I ever do need to turn it up past ear splitting levels!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Edwinr, I too have tried a lot of different amplifiers with my Belles.

Scott 299c, Teac Al700p, Dynaco ST-70, the same ST-70 but with Craig's Point-to-Point modifications, and a few different AV receivers (All Denon).

I'm not sure what combo I like the best but the Modded ST-70 has been hooked up the longest.

I also own KLF-30's and do miss having them in my mainstream system. Sometimes you just need that chest thumping bass to rattle the foundation.

Thanks

JJ

P.S I've only used pieces of fruit for the Pre-Amp duties. (JM-BBX w/ cream and JM-Peach)