First Potential Bad E-bay Experience

Hey guys,

Looking for a little help on where to go with this one, as I have nearly no experience purchasing on Ebay.

I just took delivery of a KV-1 center channel today. Looks flawless. Packaged well, wrapped in bubble wrap, in an oversized box full of packing peanuts.

I bought this speaker to complete a 5.1 for my computer. I'm using a pair of Heresy II's for mains (near field listening) and a recently acquired pair of KG.5's for rear.

I took the new addition out of the box and carried it into my family room where the bigger 5.1 system is. I unhooked my Academy and hooked this new speaker up. Turned on the FM tuner, I could hear a considerable amount of static, so I put a CD on, guess what, the left woofer is buzzing.

I specifically read the Ebay add that this was in Excellent cosmetic and function condition. It's obvious that the speaker was not damaged in transit, and this had to be blown from the seller.

The seller has a 7 day return policy, but I have to pay shipping. I left a message to the seller advising him of the above and ended my message with, "The balls in your court" feel free to call or write with your response. I really don't feel that I should have to pay for return shipping on an item that was proported to be functioning correctly. If I didn't want it for some reason other than that, I would feel that the return policy is generous.

I guess I'm asking you guys about the legalities and such with Ebay or Paypal, if it comes down to it. Also, do you have any recommendations on what direction I should try to take this matter, if possible.

I wanted to call Klipsch and have a price ready for a replacement woofer, but they were already closed when I got the speaker, and I felt it important to notify the seller of a problem immediately so he could not claim that I damaged it over night.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Ebay needs to be alerted of this, because it's fraud. The item promised as stated "In pefect cosmetic and functioning condition". If the box was dropped so hard on one end as to damage a woofer, the container would show damage. As you said: not the case. Notify ebay of this immediately through the resolution center...do not hesitate.

Normally, paypal payment is withheld for a few days until the seller leaves feedback. That is regardless of how many stars.

Maybe a loose wire.

I got something off ebay that didn't work (it was a cellphone). Went through ebay/paypal channels. Got my money back because seller did not respond to any communications.

jerol

Update:

05-24-10 at 4:42PM, I sent the following:

Hello, I just received the Klipsch KV-1 this afternoon. It looks really good, I took it to my living room and unhooked my Klipsch Academy to hear how this sounds and guess what, the left woofer is buzzing and is blown. In your description, you described this as in EXCELLENT condition.

The ball is in your court now, If you wish, you may contact me on my cell at 636-xxx-xxxx, or you may respond to this email, your choice.

Within the hour the seller responded with this:

Hi. I do not understand how this can be the case. I hooked it up to my system as I did with the subwoofer, and both were fine, no buzzing. You can return it, but as described in the return policy details, shipping and handling is non refundable, both ways. Again, I do not know how this could be the case, but feel free to send it back and I will take a look at it.

I then responded with this:

Thanks for the quick response, that speaks well of you.
I am very experienced with Klipsch products (your speaker is the 13th that I have personally purchased. I have experience with drivers not funcioning correctly, and am experienced with repairing their products.

I am of the opinion that I should not have to pay shipping for an item (EITHER WAY) for an item that was proported to be in EXCELLENT condition, both cosmetically (which it is, thank you) and function.

I am open to the option of me removing the woofer and sending it to you for evaluation and if you determine that it does in fact Buzz, as I say, you can purchase a replacement from Klipsch and I'll install it.

Otherwise, I am requesting that you take the product back and pay all shipping both ways, as the item is not as described.

I await your decision. Bye the way I have not reported this to Ebay yet, but you are on the clock, so your continued prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

thank you

This morning at 8AM, I called Klipsch and found out about the replacement woofer and sent the following message:

Hello again,
I called Klipsch this morning, they do have a replacement woofer in stock, I was told the price of the woofer was approximately $37.50 plus approximately $5.00 shipping Fed EX to my door.
In an effort to resolve this matter with as little collateral damage to both of us, I would be willing to have you ship a replacement speaker to me and I'll install it myself, as the speaker was listed as in Excellent operating condition.

I await your positive response.

Thank You,

Now, I know I haven't given the seller enough time to respond to the last email, at it is apparant that selling on Ebay is their primary business. The seller has over 600 items listed for sale as I speak. My update is to get further opinions from others more knowledgable in these matters as If I'm following proper protocall.

I investigated making a claim to Ebay, but did not at this point due to the fact that the instructions for fileing a claim asks to try to resolve the matter with the seller first. I have 72 hours from delivery to file a claim. I figure I'll wait until this afternoon to file a claim if this matter is not resolved, unless I'm missing something.

Opinions Please!!!

The original ebay listing may have been accurate. Speaker magnet structures and voice coils are manufactured to fairly close tolerances with minimal clearances. It's entirely possible that a bit of foreign material (dust, dirt, metal filing, etc.) may have worked it's way into the "wrong spot" during shipment and is causing the buzzing noise. If the woofer is in fact "blown" however, that is a different story. Hopefully you and the seller can get this worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

It's more than just possible it was damaged in shipping. They're fragile and the mag structure can be damaged in shipping.

The seller is responsible for getting your product to you safely.

Have him immediately file a claim with the shipper and get a refund. I doubt you'll recover shipping costs.

It's pretty sad you have to pay UPS, USPS, and FEDEX extra insurance to do their job properly.

Down side of ebay. Best wishes in your task taking care of it.

I must say, this matter was resolved in a Very professional matter by the seller. He just emailed me and asked if he could partially refund my purchase price to paypal for the amount of the replacement woofer, and I could then purchase a woofer myself.

I have removed the woofer and confirmed that the voice coil is striking the magnet causing the buzzing. The woofer is quite a contraption being shielded and everything, It's obviously not repairable.

My paypal account has already refunded the purchase price of a new woofer to my ATM card.

Thanks everyone for the input.