I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Dave,

Can you give a little more detail on the reflectors? I'm thinking about building a new set of La Scalas using ALK's gentle slope crossovers and using an altec 902... Since it has a higher recommended crossover than the klipsch driver, where do the reflectors extend the bass frequency to?

Guest Anonymous

One more question, even on the black la scala's there is a veneer on the ply wood. did you remove that veneer and reveneer, or did you evener over the painted black outer shell?

• 7 months later...

Apologies for the NecroThread, but I just found this and am truly impressed by your concept and execution. It inspires me to start watching for a set of LaScalas myself!

...That old piece of ply is also the port shelf, notice the rails are 15" apart and the area between them it 10-5/8 long.

I note you give precise horizontal dimensions for your port slot, but no vertical figure...

Guest David H

The Port opening is 2 inches the total height is 3.5 inches.

BTW, althought this speaker looks like a split box, (it is not) the top hat air space has to be shared to get the proper volume needed for porting.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with upgrading and refinishing La Scalas. I've been reading and drooling all over thanks to your great work. I'm an amateur woodworker and I'm very impressed with the work you've done.

Perhaps I'll be able to post up pics if I'm able to shut down my La Scalas while they're undergoing wood-surgery [:D] I just might pick up another pair to work on so I have mine to listen to.

Keep sharing - it's inspiring dreamers like me who hope to make my La Scalas look as good as they sound!

Guest David H

Perhaps I'll be able to post up pics if I'm able to shut down my La Scalas while they're undergoing wood-surgery

Yes, pics are always welcome.

Dave

• 2 years later...

I tried out corner reflectors (Kuben in diyaudio forum) and the result varied with different drivers. I expeced the reflectors to allways improve things but it did not. My guess is that there was different breakup pattern in different drivers so different phase shift was introduced already on the way into the horn. The shift in phase beaviour with the added reflectors could then be benefial or harmful interference.