I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Guest David H

It's good that you laminated them; they should be almost as strong now as they were before I took all the paint off.

LOL [:D]

Guest David H

I got some time to work on the Scala's a bit today, and really wanted continue preparations for veneer, but decided I need to work on the mods.

Here is a photo of the port assebly that will be replacing the woofer access pannel. The angled legs were not initially part of my design, but I loved the idea. Thanks Bliss.

post-24405-13819597819118_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819615894976_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I love the idea of a ported Lascala, but didn't love the 10 inch box mounted below. The rear mounted ports limit placement options, but are a super idea.

My plan is a classic retro look split Lascala. The veneer is quarter sawn Cherry.

Now for more pics. That lovely piece of ply you see is the old top, no need to waste O/E klipsch plywood.

That old piece of ply is also the port shelf, notice the rails are 15" apart and the area between them it 10-5/8 long.

post-24405-13819597821638_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819615897326_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I am anxious to start veneering. The cabs are nearly ready, I have good lines and sharp corners, the ports are done. Next I have to build the tops and the horns, I hope to start veneering on tuesday.

Dave.

post-24405-13819597917126_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819616010742_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Can't wait to hear your listening review. They look great. Cherry veneer will be very nice. How about some veneer on the mid horns along with a decorator look on the top box?

I am anxious to hear them myself, as for veneering the midhorns, I am a wrap aroung grills guy.

Dave.

Dave,

I would like to veneer some horns and make a tweeter horn as well. I wonder if I could figure out how to mount a small wood horn on the crites CT125 driver. The bases look good. I was worried that the scale would not be right but you did a great job.

I noticed the the top panel of the vented box blocks part of the dog house opening. Is this providing a baffle shelf effect similar to the cornwall?

Guest David H

I noticed the the top panel of the vented box blocks part of the dog house opening. Is this providing a baffle shelf effect similar to the cornwall?

Yout got it, the partial blockage you see is the port shelf.

Dave.