I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Guest David H

I got the top hats built and wanted to do some testing, so I threw together an ALK JR with leftover parts I had laying around, I realize using leftover parts will hold this crossover back, but it is still far better thatn the Klipsch type AL I pulled out of it.

post-24405-13819598501616_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819616681862_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

It was quite a project to shoehorn the mid and tweeter in position, there is only 1/4 inch of ply above and below the drivers. The horns had to be moulded into the motor boards to keep the proportions correct. Total height is 41 inches.

post-24405-13819598528904_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819616721502_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I also add the 45 degree reflectors to the bass bins. I wasnt able to detect the change audibly, but it shows up on the FFT.

post-24405-13819598550182_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961674929_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I got the Ported Lascala assembled today for testing, overall the slot ported Lascala is a success, attached is a in room FFT measurement using my Ipod.

When I have more time I will drag them outside for more realistic testing. The in-room response graph on my Ipod really doesn't do these speakers justice.

The only thing I really dont care for on the graph below is the rise around 180hz, but I have seen this on every Lascala I have tested to date. I am going to try and sofen that rise, I may need to implement some eq.

The woofers used are the Crites CW1526 steel frame.

Midrange is K-55m coupled to Fastrac Lascala

Tweeter is APT-50 coupled to a Klipsch Tractrix tweeter.

post-24405-13819598603002_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819616821422_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Because I was testin in the garage, I wanted to make sure the rise at 180 was actual, I connected My ported Heresy project to the left channel and measure it as well, No hump.

The SPL differnce between the Ported Heresy is amazing, but the Heresy holds it own nicely.

Here is the in room graph of the Ported Heresy Project.

post-24405-1381959861519_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961683723_thumb.jpg

I want to be sure what you mean by 45 degree reflectors. Are these the rectangular boxes in the bin with the 45 degree side? These are going to look great. What is your qualitative assessment? Do they sound more like a ported speaker or do they still have the reflex folded horn character?

Guest David H

I want to be sure what you mean by 45 degree reflectors. Are these the rectangular boxes in the bin with the 45 degree side? These are going to look great. What is your qualitative assessment? Do they sound more like a ported speaker or do they still have the reflex folded horn character?

Pete they are really quite amazing, they sound like Lascala's that dig deep. They are not in any way boomy, and the ported bass doesn't detract from the classic Lascala sound. I will know more after I install polyfil on the walls and some cabinet stiffeners.

So far I am quite impressed, I have become quite accustomed to Cornscala bass, These seem to have about 90% of the low bass grunt of my Cornscala's do but they have huge amounts of mid bass slam due to the horn loading.

The reflectors are simply 45degree angles placed at the inside rear of the cabinet to deflect the sound out of the cab rather than firing straight into a 90 degree turn. Volvotreter has a drawing on his site. Not sure how important the reflectors are, they made little to no audible improvements, but did raise the HF cut on the bass bin enough to allow a better blend into the midrange.

I am not reccomending adding the reflectors, I just thought I would give it a try, and so far seems to be justified. The reflectors in the picture are exadurated in size, the ones I cut were 1 inch on the fence and 45deg on the blade.

Dave.

post-24405-13819598700132_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961693268_thumb.jpg

The only thing I really dont care for on the graph below is the rise around 180hz, but I have seen this on every Lascala I have tested to date. I am going to try and sofen that rise, I may need to implement some eq.

Many La Scalas have a peak at around 150Hz. Using some EQ can reduce it to where you won't notice it.

Guest David H

Many La Scalas have a peak at around 150Hz. Using some EQ can reduce it to where you won't notice it.

Yes, I suspect the rise is the nature of the beast.

Dave.

Guest David H

I did some tuning tonight and was able to eliminate the rise, here is a before and after shot. With the rise in response flattened out, it looks like I can drop the sqwalker a few db as well.

post-24405-13819598833974_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819617080744_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

What did you do to tune the speakers?

Pete I am trying different techniques to flatten the response. My next step is to hookup to my active setup for more testing.

Dave

Guest David H

1/4 sawn Cherry.. These are coming along nicely. Hopeffully I will have them done by next weekend, then will have to find them a new home.

Dave

post-24405-13819599108368_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819617404606_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I appreciate the work you're putting into the speakers. I'm wondering if it was a conscious choice to thave the veneer on top running north/south as opposed to east/west.

Really not a concious effort at all, Lascala's have always run noth south on top center and bottom.

This is the look I am going for.

Dave

post-24405-1381959912052_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961742099_thumb.jpg