I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Guest David H

The Lascala's are assebled and I am blown away at how well they perform, The combination of the ported enclosure, Tractrix mid horn and tweeter combined with the ALK Jr Clone crossover is truly astonishing. BTW, this is the first time I have tried the Super AA / ALK Jr, and I have to say it is excellent.

Sorry, no beauty shots yet, grills may happen tomorrw.

Dave

post-24405-13819599503224_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961785433_thumb.jpg

Update, I retuned the port for 40hz as a suggestion from JC, and it really made a word of difference, the bass transitions much smoother. I was initially suspect of running a shorter port but I gave it a shot, and I am beside myself, this change seems to have resolved all of the bass issues I had been fighting.

I still need to make the lower bass bin and port grills, but I wanted some bracing in the bass bin as well. What I came up with is the E-Brace.

The E-Brace is an interference fit brace that can be used on any Lascala, its simple to install, very effective, and is removable.

Dave......any suggestions as to how to port the original design for the bass reflex cab with the 2 round ports to 40HZ? At the moment I am running 2 x 4 inch diameter x 7 inches long as per my avatar. The box is 10 inches high x 221/2 inches deep x 221/2 inches wide........Or are they already 40HZ?

Nice work......good idea with the E Brace.

Thanks,

John

Guest David H

Dave......any suggestions as to how to port the original design for the bass reflex cab with the 2 round ports to 40HZ? At the moment I am running 2 x 4 inch diameter x 7 inches long as per my avatar. The box is 10 inches high x 221/2 inches deep x 221/2 inches wide........Or are they already 40HZ? Nice work......good idea with the E Brace. Thanks, John

I dont have the software to calculat the port, but I believe you are currently portd for 35hz, all you would have to do is shorten the ports to raise the port tuning point. I am sure JC or DJK could tell you exactly how to re-tune.

Dave

Thats good to know......I wasn't sure what port tuning I had & was looking to get a little lower.....If I'm at 35 Hz now thats fine. Seems like this would be the case, as in the absence of any testing equipment I know I can hear 35 Hz quite clearly from a test disc I have & 30 Hz I can just barely hear. On my Altec 19's I can hear 30 quite clearly & can just hear 25 Hz................Great job on the LS........looking forward to seeing the finished product with the grilles.

Guest David H

And I got the ultimate compliment.....She said "Those need to go in the living room"

When I came to, I moved them into the house.

post-24405-1381959955116_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961791101_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

No sub required?

These are great for 2 channel without a sub, but I have them in the theater until I find them a new home.

Dave