I have a Project -- La Scala Restore

Olorin

Guest David H

How much of the top hat volume did you need to use? I mounted the crossovers internally, and used all of the area in the top hat.

The Port is 15W x 2H and the Shelf is 8.5" deep.

post-24405-1381959960051_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381961796778_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Thanks again for all the kind comments, I have really been enjoying these Lascala's.

I have been using these in my theater, and even though the bass is signifigntly better I still like them a bit better with my sub.

In the theater I have a receiver with an auto-setup acoutical EQ, and after setup and goiing over the room corrections I am still showing a 3db gain across the LF section. Listening test confirm the EQ settings and A/B EQ vs: Direct the EQ sounds better. I still may do a bit of tuning.

Dave

Guest David H

Ported Lascala update, I have been running these for some time now, and they are really growing on me. For the most part I have never been a big fan of the Lascala because of their lack of low frequency extension. A few of my freinds had Lascala, and I simply prefered the Cornscala's overall.

Now that I have the Ported Lascala's in the theater room I have been really enjoying them. I have been sneaking in some music from time to time, but until today while my wife was out of town and I was home alone for the first time in weeks, it was time to hit the throttle and see what these can really do. I started with Sade's newest release. I have to say so far I am not overly thrilled with Sade's choice of using synthesized bass tracks in all of her new songs, but it brought to my attention these Lascala's can produce huge amounts of low frequency bass. I proceeded to turn off the subs because the Lascala's had plenty of bass on their own, only to find the subs were already off and the front 2 channel stereo was the only thing playing.

I didn't believe it possible til today for a Lascala to produce earthshaking bass at insane volume levels and still be absolutely clear, and have to admit I am a convert. I still love the Cornscala's but the Ported Lascala's are so much fun to listen to, I have to say they are the flavor of the week. Very similar to being at a concert.

Dave Harris

• 2 weeks later...

Im so jealous of these.. I tried to reveneer mine and it was a fail! Im not the best woodworker and was limited by money and tools. But how in the world did you get the veneer inside the bass horn without tearing the cabinets appart? I ripped mine apart, BIG MISTAKE. those things are made VERY VERY WELL.

Guest David H

how in the world did you get the veneer inside the bass horn without tearing the cabinets appart?

It was a very tidious process of making templates out of 1/4 mdf, I made a single template for the large vertival surfaces and four templates for the smaller horizontal surfaces. Even with the templates there is still quite a bit of sand fitting to do.

Then I applied the pieces using the heat lock method and a clothes iron.

Thanks for your comments.... Dave Harris

post-24405-138196003252_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819618794006_thumb.jpg

I have a plan for templates with heavy brown paper. Mark them with a pencil and use scissors to cut the template 1/8' to large. I replace template in the area and do the final razor knife trim with a ruler/putty knive and the paper taped in place. I would do the horizontal surfaces first and the vertical second to help hide the lower seam corners which be the most visable. I will let you how the plan comes out and if any adjustment are need in my "best laid plans".

• 2 weeks later...

I've slowly been tearing in to my la scalas, I've been trying to figure out what would be the best way to the top and bottom of the LF section, so I've been looking here for ideas.

The paper idea came to mind, the MDF templates seem like the best idea, but having limited tools the paper idea I may try. we'll see when we get there.

• 1 month later...

So Dave has crossed over to the "dark side" and become a La Scala convert. What's next, cats living with dogs?Wink

I am still am still a Cornscala fan, but had the oportunity to bring these Lascala's back to life and throw in a face lift. I couldn't pass up an oportunity like this.

Dave Harris

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

gothover,

Well i have to say, i am extremely impressed with your restore project. wow.

I have been looking at threads like this and wondering what i will do with mine. i picked up la scalas three days back for $650. I've always wanted la scala's. they sound fantastic, but look terrible. they look pretty much like the ones you had when you started. its an ambitious project but the end result seems promising. Mine is the exact project. I have to do the restore so my wife will let me put them on living room duty....

Nice job.

Guest David H

Thanks for the comments, If you choose to go with the ported Lascala you must add the volue of the upper chamber to get the desired effect. Many forum members thought because these look like a split box, the volume was not shared.

In this pic you can see there is an opening into dog house from the woofer chamber.

Dave

post-24405-13819634428656_thumb.jpg