Looking for crazy / creative ideas for Decorator Hereseys to be a gift for daughter

emmvette

I'm trying to get some ideas together for a pair of decorator Heresey speakers I have that are fairly old, standard unfished plywood. They currently look like what they are - 35 year old speakers, small chips, one more sun faded than the other.... I don't want to wreck the speakers, so I'm not going to glue fabric onto them, but am open to fun ideas. For her 17th b-day and maybe Christmas, I would like to build a small music system for her based on using the speakers, and of course will need to be able to utilize an ipod (what else did you expect?). I have time. I'll need some ideas for getting the ipod music to the speakers, I'm sure I can find an inexpensive used stereo locally on Craigslist. I don't really know the best way to get the music from an ipod to a stereo, I'm a CD and vinyl guy. She has a laptop, so if that is easy, its an option. One of my main goals is to do something fun with the speakers. Here is where I need the most help - creativity, please! The only idea I can come up with is long, fuzzy pink fabric. No idea how to attach without trashing the speaker. I realize in 2 years she'll be taking these to college and I (she'll) need to be able to redo the look if it isn't deemed cool. I think she'll be open to anything fun and appreciate my efforts. She likes pink & gray, orange, dark (royal) purple, silver, and teal. Fun textures are fine. Her room currently has mostly black and silver items (picture frames, end table, keyboard & stand), but I really don't want to make these black - too borin, and matching her current set-up isn't really important since tastes change. Your ideas and help will be appreciated! Here is a pic of what I have to start with.
P1030340.jpg

I can't believe I am suggesting this because I love natural finishes... but since I would probably want to veneer these later and wouldn't care so much what I do now as long as it doesn't hurt anything... deep breath... I would paint them a light color... maybe white... Leave the components well taped off and give her some paints so she can use them as her pallet. Let her have the fun!

That said... I would not do anything that couldn't be undone with some filler and new veneer. I might have a stroke if someone suggested painting any of mine!

I've yet to see hertiage speakers that looked good painted white, really painted any color. Veneering seems like more work than you're wanting to do now. I've got a neice that is 17 and loves vintage stuff, she's into 35mm and polaroid photography, ect. It's the cool thing for them now and I bet you could find an old Marantz 22xx receiver for a few hundred bucks. They have an AUX input for the ipod and would sound great with the Heresys, it would have that vintage blue that everyone loves. As far as the speakers, I hate to suggest anything drastic, I'd probably fill in the chips, sand the hell out of it and put a light stain on it. pretty boring I guess for what you're looking for. If you're wanting to get crazy, you could put some sort of handmade "sock" over it with whatever material, when she tires of it, boom, just slip it off.

First off that is a great thing to do for her.

As mentioned, you can easily pick up a receiver and can run these, just use the Aux input to connection the I-Pod and computer with something like this. I have the same one that I connect my cell phone or friends I-Pod to my receiver.

If you are able to re-veneer these at a later time then I would go with the ideal of painting white and then handing the paint brush, with whatever colors your daughter likes, over to her and let her do some designs or friends sign them. I would fix the corner and everything first as that should help with the re-veneering at the later date. Also staining could be a good option but not a personal to her as painting them would be.

James

What every female under 50 seems to want right now. "Twilight" Klipsch.

th_h1twilight.jpg

Now - that's an idea she would love. She bought a twilight LP in the mall - the only LP she owns! Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I like the "sock" idea, I would just need to figure out how to make that stay in place. I agree that white speakers don't look too good, or painted in general, no offense to the smurfs! Although it is an option, and she may like the idea of getting to be creative herself with them.

The only idea I can come up with is long, fuzzy pink fabric.

She can hang them from her mirror when she's driving. Just be sure to duck when you come to a sudden stop and they start to swing!

Surprise

Now there's an idea.............

mirrors. cover them with those tiled mirrors. you could even break them into smaller pieces to create a mosaic

• Moderators

Florescent glow in the dark PINK. [:|]

OK maby at 17 years old that would be a bit much, what about tie dyed look with her favorite colors.

OK now you see why they don't let me make decorating decisions around here.

Seti beat me to the suggestion. Greg's mod is inspired. I think using walnut or cherry for the front facade and cane would be very nice. Maybe paint the boxes black or something matching some color element of the facade or grill

Years ago I found a Sony office type CD-receiver for the Forte II's at the office. The shoe box speakers which came with the receiver were then used for computer speakers with a chip amp.

I'll bet you can find some small personal type receiver which takes I-pods and/the popular stuff and has outboard speakers which can be replaced by the Heresy's.

Wm McD

She likes pink & gray, orange, dark (royal) purple, silver, and teal.

How about a fun project for the 2 of you . Prime the speakers with flat white paint . Then starting with the lightest colors and working your way to the darkest spray different sized circle shapes all over the speakers . You can use simple poster board for the circle templates . Colors can overlap no biggie . Once the speakers are covered she may find the look pretty cool and leave it at that . But the cool thing to do is apply a few coats of clear lacquer . Then taking pin striping tape and or adhesive backed vinyl and make designs all over . Confetti and ribbons would be the easiest but you could also put her name on them or other designs . Then spray them with several misting coats of flat primer grey . I say misting because you don't want the grey paint to seep under the layed out designs . Once dry peel of the stripes or designs then spray with clear lacquer . Could turn out to be some crazy cool looking speakers and what the heck they were just some old heresies anyway .