A hum has developed...

A few weeks ago, one of my speakers - a Heresy II, was playing distorted and at low volume. Checking the connection, I found that the speaker wires were touching. Now, a low hum has developed in that one channel only. The amp is a low power, modern tube amp - a Jolida 102B. The power tubes were newer, but the preamp tubes are original, about five years old.

What have I done, and how do I fix it?

Thanks to all who reply.

Snug

Have you switched the channels to your speakers to verify that you've got a preamp or amplifier problem?

Chris

The easiest thing to check is the tubes. The good news is that it is only in one channel, so you can take one tube at a time and swap left to right and see what happens. If that doesn't disclose the problem then you might have a bad capacitor. My Mac MX110 recently developed a hum in both channels that was traced to a bad power supply capacitor. Good luck!

I swapped the tubes - power and preamp, and the hum moved to the other channel. That would mean that the tubes need replacement - correct?

One tube or component at a time and you can find the culprit. NO mass changing makes it easier