BBX 6H30 tube choices

NOSValves

Hey BBX owners with the 6H30 tube.. what are you using and what have you tried? My BBX is in route back from Mark with the 6H30 upgrade abd I need to get a tube.

I keep reading about this 6H30P-DR Super tube but its pricey. Anyone compared this tube to the standard Sovtek or EH gold pin versions? Worth the extra bucks?

Hurry Hurry I have to get something on the way.

Thanks Craig

Hey BBX owners with the 6H30 tube.. what are you using and what have you tried? My BBX is in route back from Mark with the 6H30 upgrade abd I need to get a tube.

I keep reading about this 6H30P-DR Super tube but its pricey. Anyone compared this tube to the standard Sovtek or EH gold pin versions? Worth the extra bucks?

Thanks Craig

LOL!!! Now there's a first, you seeking advice instead of giving it!!! How the hell are you old friend? Get to any games this year?

Jay

Thanks Craig

Hey Craig, I don't know if this puts the DR into a better ballpark pricewise, but you can pick it up at the link below for $100.00 NOS. Where I got mine.

Take care ole buddy!

http://www.element-acoustics.com/products.php?pid=519

This is a question I am curious about as well. I am a fully afflicted addict of the vintage Philips/Amperex family of 6DJ8/6922/7308 in JM preamps, and wondered how the elite of the 6H30 compare. I find the exceptional combination of warmth, openness and clarity of the Philips vintages add much to the JM, despite the difficulty that can be encountered in finding quiet enough versions for the JM. Since I fully expect to end up with another JM preamp in time, I am most curious about the subtle nuanced differences between the elite 6DJ8 family and the elite 6H30s.

Hi Craig,

My BBX came from Mark with the EH gold pin but I switched to the DR super tube because of what I had read about it. I can't honestly say I heard a difference. I can say that it didn't hurt the sound. I've read that the DR versions from the late 1970s are the better ones to look for but that's just what I've heard, I'm not endorsing them over other versions.

Bernie

Hey Craig, I don't know if this puts the DR into a better ballpark pricewise, but you can pick it up at the link below for $100.00 NOS. Where I got mine.

Take care ole buddy!

http://www.element-acoustics.com/products.php?pid=519

Jordan,

How you been? So did you first listen to a EH or Sovtek or dive right in with a DR version? What vintage is your DR version?

LOL!!! Now there's a first, you seeking advice instead of giving it!!! How the hell are you old friend? Get to any games this year?

Jay

Sssshhh its suppose to be a secret LOL!!

I made it to one so far, Had great seats right behind the Tiger dug out! Verlander tossed a gem 8 1/3 scoreless innings...

Hi Craig,

My BBX came from Mark with the EH gold pin but I switched to the DR super tube because of what I had read about it. I can't honestly say I heard a difference. I can say that it didn't hurt the sound. I've read that the DR versions from the late 1970s are the better ones to look for but that's just what I've heard, I'm not endorsing them over other versions.

Bernie

Bernie what vintage is your DR?

How's my baby doing??

This is a question I am curious about as well. I am a fully afflicted addict of the vintage Philips/Amperex family of 6DJ8/6922/7308 in JM preamps, and wondered how the elite of the 6H30 compare. I find the exceptional combination of warmth, openness and clarity of the Philips vintages add much to the JM, despite the difficulty that can be encountered in finding quiet enough versions for the JM. Since I fully expect to end up with another JM preamp in time, I am most curious about the subtle nuanced differences between the elite 6DJ8 family and the elite 6H30s.

I'm curious also. I was going to do the upgrade too, until I tried the French Mazda 6DJ8. Now I see no reason to change.

Mark told me a number of times the 6H30 basically equals a basic white letter vintage Amperex 6DJ8 but way out performs all modern production 6DJ8 or 6922... Over all some of the choice rare 6DJ8, 7308's ect are suppose to be better performing then the EH 6H30...but finding a quiet one is a life time job... that is why I was wondering about the 6H30P-DR .

I've tried only the EH gold pin provided by Mark in my Peach. I replaced it with another of the same type after the first one got noisey. No issues with the second one and much quieter than any of the expensive NOS 6922s or 6DJ8s tubes I tired, but I'm not so sure it sounds better than they did. Anyhow, I am satisfied to get away from the NOS tube cost.

Look, I admire Mark and his electronic genius and honor it above all others, but....

To me the super tube is a flat out scam. You're choices are so limited he's effectively locked you out of tube rolling. I believe he's done this for two reasons:

1. He has the proper arrogance of any engineer and considers his creation to be perfect in every instance and therefore not subject to meddling with by mere mortals.

2. He's sick of people calling him for advice on tube rolling, and acting unhappy when a particular tube doesn't make thier system sound better than a sexual climax.

Put it back the way it was, do some rolling with some good NOS and relegate all the new production to what it is, a pretty good approximation of what was routinely made during the heyday of tube production.

Cheez. I got to teach you everything?[:D]

Hi Craig,

Bernie

Bernie what vintage is your DR?

How's my baby doing??

Craig,

Your baby's doing just fine and giving me a lot of enjoyment. Best purchase I've made in audio gear so far with no regrets. Still running it with the Penta KT88SC's and using some 1958 RCA black plate 12ax7s and 12au7s I got from a Lowrey organ.

My DR had a date of 1978 in purple ink on it.

Jay

Sssshhh its suppose to be a secret LOL!!

I made it to one so far, Had great seats right behind the Tiger dug out! Verlander tossed a gem 8 1/3 scoreless innings...

Yes old friend you got that right, J.V. is da man!!!

Jay

Totallly OT but just a quick note to tell you how much I love the VRDs that you freshened up for me from Mile Lindsay. I am a walking commercial fot your products.

With JM sadly gone forever- so it appears-Maybe you could step up to the plate and start making VRD PREAMPS?????[Y]

Make no mistake- CRAIG is the man.

2. He's sick of people calling him for advice on tube rolling, and acting unhappy when a particular tube doesn't make thier system sound better than a sexual climax.

I bet allot of truth exists in that statement. I for sure would not blame him one bit. Tube rollers can be one crazy bunch looking for constant assurance. I almost never comment on tube performance other then from a longevity stand point. from a sonic stand point one persons king is the next persons court jester...its a no win situation for us vendors.

To me the super tube is a flat out scam. You're choices are so limited he's effectively locked you out of tube rolling. I believe he's done this for two reasons:

This can be a good thing for some :) Finding a pair of quiet 6dj8 made me hate tubes for a time but I love the good ones. The supertube is very nice and not as hard to find a quiet one. I've heard two preamps based on it and they were very nice.

All hail our new tube savior 6H30 [:D]

211956_f260.jpg6H30.jpg211956_f260.jpg

That's fairly accurate. Geeked

It is?

Well I mean, of course it is, I'm the Thebes and know wherefore I speak of, or something.

I guess for me the real question would be why do so many tube preamp designers use 6DJ8 variants at all given the numerous other triode types available ?