Help with amp/speaker matching

pjtxxx

Hello to all of you knowledgable enthusiasts and experts. Can you offer some help to a novice? I'd like to know if there is a good speaker match for a Proton D1200 power amp with a D1100 preamp? I realize that these components aren't probably desireable to anyone on this forum but that's what I have. I don't think I'll have McIntosh money any time soon. Although if you thought Klipsch wouldn't work with proton I would be inclined to try to sell my stuff and find the most reasonably priced solution for an amp or receiver. Any suggestions, help, comments or critisism welcome. I'm not looking to break the bank. I just want to experience the best possible live like sound that I can for now. Thanks all...

Welcome to the forum.

The best live like sound I've ever heard is music played on speakers in the Heritage lineup. New or used, can't be beat in bang for the buck.

I'd suggest to let your ears be the judge. One thought if you end up buying vintage Heritage speakers. After twenty or so years they will need to have fresh caps installed in the crossovers for them to sound right. It would be easy to mis-judge any amp when the problem is old crossover caps.

The crossover refreshing is an easy enough DIY project or there are folks available who can do the work turn key. All an inexpensibe solution for great sound, IMO>

Hey Pj, welcome to the Klipsch Forum, we're glad you're here! We don't go knockin' other peoples gear, if you're happy with it, so are we.

I have to agree with Daddy Dee. Heritage speakers will fit the bill nicely and they are easy to drive. Again, as Daddy Dee mentioned, you will probably need to update the capacitors, but that is not a big deal. Check your local Craigslist for Klipsch speakers and see whats there. Come back and let us know and we'll help you figure out if they are asking a fair price or not. Or if you're looking to buy new, find a Klipsch dealer and go listen to a few different models.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Hello to all of you knowledgable enthusiasts and experts. Can you offer some help to a novice? I'd like to know if there is a good speaker match for a Proton D1200 power amp with a D1100 preamp? I realize that these components aren't probably desireable to anyone on this forum but that's what I have. I don't think I'll have McIntosh money any time soon. Although if you thought Klipsch wouldn't work with proton I would be inclined to try to sell my stuff and find the most reasonably priced solution for an amp or receiver. Any suggestions, help, comments or critisism welcome. I'm not looking to break the bank. I just want to experience the best possible live like sound that I can for now. Thanks all...

If at all possible, try to audition speakers by bringing along your Proton preamp/amp. Some speakers will sound much better to you than others with your particular equipment. Any reputable dealer or private seller should be more than happy to connect them to the speakers you are interested in.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were gear knockers! I guess I just feel a little tube envy!!! You all have been great and I will let you know what ifind. I think I definetly have to go pre-owned. I checked ebay last night just to see what things were going for. If I lived out west I think there were some good deals.I'm in Pittsburgh Pa so shipping those big cabs gets expensive. I'm going over to Craigslist to see whats close to home.