NAD T-773 Receiver---New Aquisition

willland

Hello you well informed Klipsch HT guys. I am in a bit of a quandry. I just got this receiver and am totally blown away by it's massiveness(52.8 lbs), build quality and most importantly sound. The 2 channel performance is "seperates-like" and for HT it just plain ole rocks.

The quandry is:

My Onkyo TX-SR705 has served me very well for almost 3 years by being user-friendly, reliable, great for HT, good for 2 channel and has HDMI and decodes all HD audio formats. The NAD is just a clear step above and was the "flagship" receiver in 2004. It has no HDMI and therefore does not decode the HD formats. The main question I am pondering is the NAD being of better overall sound quality, in regular Dolby Digital and DTS going to compare with the Onkyo in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA? I have to believe that the flagship piece of gear will sound better in DD and DTS over the mid level gear in DTHD and DTS-MA. Of course the NAD is the clear 2 channel winner.

What do you guys think? I could move the Onkyo into the bedroom 5.1 system and let this NAD beast do main HT duty. Truthfully, I watch DVD's much more than BD's.

The Apex DVD player is on top as a size reference.

Bill

post-26822-13819584356272_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If you think this is clearly a step above the Onkyo, I don't think you have anything to lose. It has 7.1 ch inputs so if your dvd player has 7.1 outputs, you can still take advantage of the HD audio codecs. It also has amp pre-outs for 7.2. You listen to quite a bit of 2ch as well so that would be a good thing.

My question is what would be your main reason why you would want to keep the Onkyo? What does it provide that the NAD doesn't? Maybe that will help you narrow down your choice. Also might help to do a pro's and con's comparison.

That receiver looks like a tank! I guess if it sounds better for HT and is much better in 2 channel you should keep it in the living room. I bet it sounds great with your RF 63s.

Liebherr954, it sounds awesome with the RF-63's.

"My question is what would be your main reason why you would want to keep the Onkyo? What does it provide that the NAD doesn't? Maybe that will help you narrow down your choice. Also might help to do a pro's and con's comparison."

Youthman, the Onkyo fits into my TV stand and the NAD does not. With that said, I have been considering getting a new TV stand for some time. It has really held me back from upgrading my BD player and adding other components. The Onkyo would fit just nicely with my bedroom setup and I could sell the other Onkyo and TV stand to help recoupe some $$$. I have the Acurus sold so that $$$ also will help.

Bill