n00b questions

Ok, so it looks like the k55s thread into the JBL horns. I know this is not ideal by any means. Does anyone have an idea as to what I should be looking for as far as horns go? other than the trachorns?

After comparing the specs for the DL15x and the K33s it is very evident that the DL15x are not compatable with the Khorns. I have found a set of k33s that are local to me for $150. They appear to be in good shape. Is that a good deal?

Additionally, I looked up the specs on the Khorns and the power handling capability seems quite low. Is there a woofer upgrade suitable with this enclosure that can handle more than 100W?

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris

"After comparing the specs for the DL15x and the K33s it is very evident
that the DL15x are not compatable with the Khorns"

Really, what makes you think that?

The DL15X is well suited as a horn driver.

From equation 23 we get an
Fhm=300hz, see fig.6 to visualize Fhm.

From equation 22 we get an
Flc=5.88hz, see fig.6 to visualize Flc.

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20%281977-05%20AES%20Preprint%29%20-%20LF%20Horn%20Design%20Using%20TS%20Paras.pdf
Because of the difference in Re, the network will need to be a little different.
" I looked up the specs on the Khorns and the power handling capability
seems quite low. Is there a woofer upgrade suitable with this enclosure
that can handle more than 100W"
Power handling comes down to two things, and two things only:
Mechanical damage, thermal capacity.
100W long term thermal capacity will allow for 1kW program material peaks, as long as there is no mechanical damage from driving below the cut-off point of the horn. I have driven the Klipschorn with a Carver M1.5T to full power on music with no damage. An M1.5T can drive in excess of 1kW at 4 ohms on program material peaks. Music generally has a high peak-to-average ratio, so thermal damage is not a big issue.

18719.jpg

This JBL theater horn (365359-002) will accept the K55, and retail price is only $51.60 as a repair part. It is 30" wide, so it is just the right size for a cornerhorn. I would use your JBL 2416/2373 as a tweeter at 4Khz.

d7f3fd12-4d81-471b-bd97-2cb357b6713e.jpg

Hear are my thoughts....

Buy a K401 from Klipsch... Buy 2 $50 each. Buy a K55 from Bob or Klipsch, Bbuy a used tyep AA crossover or get one made... get one made they are inexpensive enough.

Think about a K33 replacement... can be had for $125 from Klipsch or get Bobs... I have that one... really nice. Or Get an Emence Kapa C 4ohm.

Make the Horn section with Klipsch like parts... You will have a speak that is worth something should you wish to sell and that will sound much more refined.

"Buy a K401 from Klipsch... Buy 2 $50 each"

Why? They sound quite poor. The JBL horns sound much better and are the same kind of money.

"Buy a K55 from Bob or Klipsch,"

I believe he has picked up a used pair already.

"Think about a K33 replacement.."

Why? He already has a pair of very good woofers, well suited for horn use.

"Make the Horn section with Klipsch like parts... You will have a speak
that is worth something should you wish to sell and that will sound much
more refined."

Surely you jest? The K400/401 leave a lot to be desired, they can sound quite nasty, and the T35/K77 sounds bright, but with no real high end.

He doesn't have Klipsch cabinets, why should he adopt the weak link of the Klipsch product?