Calling on OPPO owners ?

Cornman

Or any one else with a volume control on there CD source. I have received a new 980H & this volume issue is bugging me - overlap of two differnt componets controling volume. At what setting have you found best results. Of course I assume the output & input ohm ratting's have a big effect on choice. I have experimented for a few songs, & feel too tricked with all the variables to come to a conclusion. Is there a sequence of test to sort out this type of adjustment, or just experimenting untill you feel good with it?

Cornman

oppo reccommends all the way up to 100.

I had a problem with mine... When I played The Metalica Black CD at a loud level it skipped. I thought maybe the volume caused the laser to skip, but OPPO told me it could be the level on the played was being overloaded by the dynamics of the CD and to turn it down. ???

oppo reccommends all the way up to 100.

I had a problem with mine... When I played The Metalica Black CD at a loud level it skipped. I thought maybe the volume caused the laser to skip, but OPPO told me it could be the level on the played was being overloaded by the dynamics of the CD and to turn it down. ???

Now that is funny Whatever[;)]

Not knowing these particular components, I'd start with it all the way up and then back it off to see if you get a nicer sound -- otherwise, leave it all the way up.

However, I prefer similar sound levels between sources, so I'd adjust on the CDP to control a big jump in volume, if that's the only way to do it.

Thanks for the response guys. I spilled a beer on my puter mouse last night & that shut me down untill today. So turn it up all the way in audio only mode sounds like a scary move since the volume that matches my usual volume thru pre-amp is only about 25 on Oppo. But I will give it a try. So if you guys up in north Austin hear Jimmy Smith tonight you will know what happened. [;)]

Cornman

Thanks for the response guys. I spilled a beer on my puter mouse last night & that shut me down untill today. So turn it up all the way in audio only mode sounds like a scary move since the volume that matches my usual volume thru pre-amp is only about 25 on Oppo. But I will give it a try. So if you guys up in north Austin hear Jimmy Smith tonight you will know what happened. Wink

Cornman

Are you now saying your pre-amp is no longer in the loop? Can you please clarify.

The manual says this, and I agree with the set all source levels to match advice given in above post and below in the manual.

1. For regular audio volume adjustment, it is recommended that you use

the volume control on your TV or receiver/amplifier.

2. The VOL +/- buttons on the DVD remote control is provided as an

alternative way of controlling the audio volume. It is recommended that

you use this control to make the audio volume from the DVD player the

same as from other sources, such as TV programs or a VCR.

• Press the VOL – button to decrease the volume.

• Press the VOL + button to increase the volume.

NOTE

The volume control does not apply to digital audio output in raw bit stream format. However

when the volume is decreased to 0, digital audio output will be muted.

I have a 981HD, so I'll join the chorus; the Oppo's volume needs to
be set at "20". Supposedly there's sonic degradation introduced when you
allow the player's digital attenuation to kick in. That's what
the internetz says anyway . . .

Besides, balancing two variables just to set your volume should drive you crazy! [:S]

Your DVD player might be better than mine for CD playback, but diverting the signal through a DAC sounded a lot better in my system. Still prefer vinyl, though.

Supposedly there's sonic degradation introduced when you allow the player's digital attenuation to kick in.

So the Oppo's VC works by subtracting digital bits? Ouch, if you have to turn it down very far -- you just lose musical data! You should try to find a happy sonic medium in that case.

My Wadia DAC also works by subtracting digital bits to lower volume, but it also has an internal dip-switch adjustment for setting a base output level. I set it at where the digital VC can always be set to 100 [edited] on the DAC. I adjust the volume for all my sound sources from the preamp.

Now that we have that cleared up, I'm just glad my Oppo 83 does not have such a control.

BTW O/T, Stormin' my wife just found my Maxell Blown Away poster yesterday. It had been lost since just days after I received it on the last give away a few years back. Now to get a frame job.

BTW O/T, Stormin' my wife just found my Maxell Blown Away poster yesterday. It had been lost since just days after I received it on the last give away a few years back. Now to get a frame job.

Cool. It's definitely a classic and worthy of a nice frame![Y]

I have an DV-980 that I use with a Scott 299b. My current configuration might seem crazy but it is what is working for me. I set the volume on the Oppo to the highest volume but I also have some Harrrison 6db attenuators installed inline.

The reason I arrived at this is because it has seemed somewhat easy to overdrive the input on the Scott. I had previously installed the 6db attenuators on my computer connection to the Scott which really helped bring things under control. I had really been fighting to find a sweet spot with the volume on the PC and the Scott. Craig at NOS valves had suggested using the attenuators with the CD player and the Scott. When I told him that the player had a volume control he suggested just using the volume control to turn down the output. When comparing the reduced volume with the control vs. the attenuators it just seemed to me that I was losing something using the volume control.

Don't really know what I am hearing... Might be all in my head... but my ears are happy for now.

Now I just need to get the turntable in shape for those records I've been buying and pulling out of storage.

(I always loved that Maxell poster! )

The BDP-83 does have a volume control on the remote which should be left all the way up.

Now that we have that cleared up, I'm just glad my Oppo 83 does not have such a control.

You're have killed me, now I have to go look.