Extended Warranties....

Joe Shmoe

So what is the general consensus on this subject? I just purchased a 46" Panasonic plasma TV and am wondering if I should get the extended warranty? I have 30 days to decide. In the past I have always said "no thanks", and I would have to say I have never regretted it.

When I got my 46" TV Samsung at WalMart last year............I thought the same thing. But for 59.00 to me, it was worth it. Just have to look at it ................"if my TV craps out tomorrow...............do I/ will I have the money available to replace it..........?

I ususally shun them and probably would on a tv like this. With the price of these things coming down, I don't think I'd find it worth it. As soon as I say that, I'll end up with a dead (or yellow screened) tv.... ummm.... notice my thread about my Sony as of last night! [:(]

That said, I did happen to buy the 10 year extended on my HVAC system when it was installed eleven years ago. Stroke of genious. They had to come out for the next 9 years before they finally got all the bugs worked out of their installation problems. (pinhole leaks in various locations causing me to lose all the freon)

Is it turned out, that was money very well spent

Warranties are insurance for those who can't afford 'the catastrophic event', legalized gambling where the house has all the data so always wins on average.

I don't buy any extended warranties for those reasons. Let alone the actual hassle should you actually attempt to place a claim on such a warranty.

Thanks guys, have'nt been on in a while, been busy with school, work, and family. We just bought the TV and I thought I would drop in, say HI and post a question ;) I think I agree that I am willing to gamble and take a chance without the warranty.[Y]

With all due respect, it depends on the product.

In 2005, I purchased a Mitsu WD52725. A DLP HD TV. Fairly new tech and a great picture. I bought the extended warranty ($299 for 5 years). This represents 10% of the purchase price.

To make a long story short, 5 bulbs ($120 ea.) and a chassis rebuild later, the warranty has more than paid for itself.

Like I stated before, it depends on the product.

Regards,

jerol

In 2005, I purchased a Mitsu WD52725. A DLP HD TV. Fairly new tech and a great picture. I bought the extended warranty ($299 for 5 years). This represents 10% of the purchase price.

To make a long story short, 5 bulbs ($120 ea.) and a chassis rebuild later, the warranty has more than paid for itself.

Regards,

jerol

In your case perhaps, yet 5 years later you could have purchase a much better TV for less. The value of your TV has dropped like a rock and quality of the picture has increased drastically for much less cost.

I bought EWs for years. When my Mitsu 36" crapped out 1 month after the extended warranty- I quit buying them.

OTOH- I bought a EW for the lease period of 2005 Chevy Tahoe. I had several biggies like the power seat unit- 2800.00 and some kind of front steering issue- another 1400.00 and several other repairs. An extra 28 dollars on the lease payment each month which I would have squandered at the bar or the gun shop. Warranty paid for itself in this case double at least.

Audio gear - NO Autos- if kept past the warranty period- YES

Regards,

jerol

In your case perhaps, yet 5 years later you could have purchase a much better TV for less. The value of your TV has dropped like a rock and quality of the picture has increased drastically for much less cost.

You're right. It's almost worthless now.

I've recently purchased a Vizio 47" LED as a replacement because I don't want to replace the bulb on my own dime. Mitsu rebuilt the chassis saying that this known problem MAY have contributed to the bulbs early demise. I won't be buying a Mitsu again.

jerol

I still have a 46" rear projection RCA that is going on 20 years old and it is working perfectly. Of course it's picture is nothing compared to my 37" Aquo's, but the point is...

I payed 199 I think, wayy back then for EW that I never had to use. Waste of money if you ask me.

The only extended warranty I ever purchased was back in the late 80's, when I bought my first cd player, an Onkyo BOTL. Right before it ran out, I had to have something major repaired (twice), and the player then lasted another 12 years.

You can also get a free warranty, usually up to a year, if you buy with a credit card that has this bonus feature. We did have to use it on some old prior computer issues that ended up saving us almost $1500, at no add'l cost to us.

Thank you MasterCard Platinum!

NP - Rhino Bucket - Pain

Consumer Reports advises against extended warranties in almost all cases. The reason is you get a warranty for a long enough period of time that will verify the unit works. Electronic components, once they run for a few days, rarely break down soon after that and should run for years. Some extended warranties even start the same day you buy them. iow, if you have a general warranty on a unit for one year, and buy an extended 3-year warranty, it starts the same day, effectively becoming only a 2-year extension.

I've not bought any extended warranties in years and never regretted it. I'm sure it's helped some but not most.

Some states try and regulate extended warranties.

They require 50% of the price to be put in escrow. The other 50% is spent right away, the store salesman usually getting 25%. The 'officers' of the warranty corporation knock down healthy salaries. When they have to start paying out for repairs after the factory warranty expires it comes out of the escrow account. When the account runs out of money and new funds can't keep up (Ponzi) they fold ABC Warranty.

Next week they start XYZ Warranty.