Receiver set-up - Help Needed

Joey88

Hi I am new on this site. Recently purchased a set of quintets and a new pioneer receiver - Pioneer vsx 920K.

I am trying to hook up the receiver - My question is.... Is there a way to have the option of bypassing the receiver to just listen to tv audio through the tv speakers? I would like the option to listen to tv through my tv speakers, or through the quintets at other times.

Here is the link to my receiver's manual.. http://www.store.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-920_OperatingInstructions0518.pdf

Please help.

Also, the operating manual (see page 23) shows an hdmi cable running from the receiver to the tv. It also shows an optical cable running from the optical out on the tv to the optical in on the tv and says "this connection is required in order to listen to the sound of the TV over the receiver" What does this mean?

Thanks,

My suggestion would be for you to run a pair of analog(RCA) cables from your SAT/Cable box to your TV and component cables from CBL/SAT to your TV and not turn on your receiver. All you would have to do is change imput on TV. I don't see why this suggestion would not work.

Bill

It also shows an optical cable running from the optical out on the tv to the optical in on the tv and says "this connection is required in order to listen to the sound of the TV over the receiver" What does this mean? Thanks,

I think you mean optical out from the tv to optical in on the receiver. The sound is passed through the hdmi cable into the tv and back out through the optical cable to the receiver. Here's an easy way. Run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the tv. Then run an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver. The HDMI cable will give you audio for the tv and the optical cable will give you audio for the receiver.

Frank

Ok, but then i wouldnt be watching my TV via high def with an HDMI cable.....

FYI, component cables will pass hi def signals but is limited to 720P or 1080i(which is all SAT/CBL will broadcast at this time).

Then run an HDMI cable from SAT/CBL to your TV using it for video and audio or HDMI plus any audio cables.

Bill

If you run HDMI from your cable box to your receiver, wouldn't you have a handshake issue everytime you change stations? I use component and optical from my cable box to my prepro. It'll pass 1080i and surround sound.

If you run HDMI from your cable box to your receiver, wouldn't you have a handshake issue everytime you change stations? I use component and optical from my cable box to my prepro. It'll pass 1080i and surround sound.

No, the cable box changes the station, passes the video thru the receiver and into an HDMI input on the tv. But, by sending the HDMI directly to the tv, it will allow you to use the audio speakers in the tv. HDMI goes to the tv, optical cable to the receiver, from the cable box. That allows you to use either the tv speakers or the receiver independently, which is what you want. I'm not sure why after buying the new equipment? Maybe to make it easier for someone else to use the tv? When you get a bluray player you definitely want to use the receiver. Let me know how you make out.

Frank

Frank, can you tell me one more time what i would need to do to have the option of watching cable tv while listening to my tv speakers OR my surround sound?

You are correct, my wife willw ant to turn on the tv and just watch cable tv through the tv speakers.

FYI, I was under the impression that I will need to run component cables from the cable box to the tv as well as analog stereo connectors. This would enable me to watch tv and hear the volume through the tv speakers without turning on the receiver.

1. If your cable box has an HDMI output, connect an HDMI cable to the cable box and run it to an HDMI input on the tv. That will give you video and audio through the tv speakers.

2. To get sound to the receiver, run an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver. If you don't have an optical output, you will have to use analog cables, but you should have optical out. That will give you sound to the receiver. You already have video through your HDMI connection from the cable box to the tv.

Ok, that would work. If the audio is being sent via the optical connection, does that give any limitations on the sound? In other words, I know the sound will still be coming through the receiver, but will it not be as good as it would be via a hdmi connection?

I found the thread below on a different site. Are you recommending I avoid option #2?

1) I have a question about hooking up STB's. Your advice is to connect HDMI to the TV directly and run digital audio from the STB to the receiver. If I understand correctly that would require choosing the input on the TV with the HDMI to see the picture and selecting the correct receiver output to hear the sound. Then if you wanted to watch Blu-Ray I assume you would change the input on the TV to the one the receiver is connected to and selecting the Blu-Ray output on the receiver to view the show

2) What's wrong with this, HDMI from the STB, and Blu-Ray to the receiver, and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV for watching home theater, and component video and analog audio from the STB to the TV for simple direct STB to TV viewing. This would allow one input on the TV for all material played through the receiver which is IMHO a more simple and less confusing (to people other than the HT's owner) set-up.

That would work as well and it is what willand suggested but you said you wanted an HDMI run from the box to the tv. As he stated, cable is only providing 720p or 1080i so component is certainly adequate. Your choice [:)].

Frank

FYI, component cables will pass hi def signals but is limited to 720P or 1080i(which is all SAT/CBL will broadcast at this time).

My DirecTV does 1080p on some feeds, mostly PPV and specials.