Charcoal grill

EM3

I do a lot of grilling when home on the weekends, and also entertain quite a bit. I have owned Weber Gas Grills for the last 20 years or so, and wouldn't own anything but. Mostly the Genesis Silver series, which I think is an excellent grill for the money. Last year, however, I broke down and got the grill I had always wanted... the Weber Summit S-670:

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_details.aspx?glid=3&mid=20

This thing totally rocks! I have cooked 25 pork chops at once on it, 12 very large rib eyes, 30 burgers, you name it. Just last week I rotisseried three 6 lb chickens on it. It has 6 burners, plus the sear burner (900 degrees), rotisserie, smoker box (with separate burner), and all the trimmings. I know it isn't the end-all be-all, but it's perfect for how I use it, and the amount of food we cook on it.

You can't go wrong with any of the Weber's.

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Weber grills, my One Touch Silver 22 is over 10 year old and my One Touch Gold 22.5 was purchased used and about 10 years also.

I use both of these when I have cookouts, If I'm just cooking a few things then just one. My next charcoal grill I want to get this Weber Grill.

James

Weber Ranch, from a previous thread...

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/thread/943231.aspx

I have tried the lump. It's feather light compared to the same physical size bag of briquettes. It definitely smells and tastes better than briquettes. I agree there. A truer wood taste. But I have had numerous issues every single time I use the lump. It mostly just goes out in the middle of cooking. If it all stays lit, it dies way to quick. High maintenance stuff. But it does taste better.

I have tried the lump. It's feather light compared to the same physical size bag of briquettes. It definitely smells and tastes better than briquettes. I agree there. A truer wood taste. But I have had numerous issues every single time I use the lump. It mostly just goes out in the middle of cooking. If it all stays lit, it dies way to quick. High maintenance stuff. But it does taste better.

Try a different brand. I have found that some is better than others. I never have much more than ash left after the fire goes out on it's own when using the better quality lump charcoal. Yes it does take up more space for an equal weight of charcoal bricks, but pound for pound, it puts out more heat and yes you will use a larger volume of lump per grilling session.

Speaking of turkeys, it's time for me to trot out my famous BBQ turkey recipe...yet again.

First split the turkey in half, bilaterally of course.

Saute in butter diced onions, garlic, bell pepper, celery & parsley with a pound of diced andouille sausage. For ease, get a pint of already cut up "creole seasoning vegetables".

Now, cut deeeep pockets in the breasts and thighs. Stuff with the saute mix. Stuff some more under the skin. Reserve the remaining saute mix. Wrap each turkey half separately with at least 4 layers of large heavy duty aluminum foil. Place both on grill, bone side down.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining saute mix with a small can of frozen limeade concentrate and a bottle of your favored BBQ sauce but NOT, please, KC Masterpiece or similar. The dark caramel sweetness clashes with turkey. Something like Stubbs original works great.

After one hour, turn the halves over, open the foil, and pour BBQ sauce mix into each half and reclose as best you can. 30 more minutes and it's done. No need to carve. You'll be able to pull the bones out by hand. Excellent, succulent, decadent and fast. Folks will FALL on it.

Ok dumb question on the Webers.

Does it need to be preseasoned?

Come on you should know by now, there are no dumb questions.

And to answer your question, no. Buy it, put it together, add charcoal, rub a little oil on the grates also depends on what you are cooking, then enjoy...

James

Ok dumb question on the Webers.

Does it need to be preseasoned?

Come on you should know by now, there are no dumb questions.

And to answer your question, no. Buy it, put it together, add charcoal, rub a little oil on the grates also depends on what you are cooking, then enjoy...

James

Well I had to ask :-) i remember having to season a grill a long time ago and I know I had to season my smokers. I looked at a Weber Silver today and I may get that one. $20 for replacement gates vs the $85 for the gas grill parts sounds better.

$20 for replacement gates vs the $85 for the gas grill parts sounds better.

Yes it does and remember it was mentioned earlier, get the grate with the hinged openings. It is easier to add charcoal to the existing fire when needed. Plus shop around right after the season, you can find those grates even cheaper sometimes.

James

Thanks for all your help! I really mean it. I posted this question on a couple of BBQ and Grilling forums and on one I got very few responses and on another one the thread got all blown out of proportion and by the time it was all said and done I need a $2000 smoker/grill to grill burgers, hot dogs and cook everything else. They didn't pay attention to the fact that I have 2 smokers.

You all are the best so THANKS!