Charcoal grill

EM3

It was a long time ago.

I set up a Smokey Joe and placed it in the top of a smaller metal garbage can with some vent hole drilled in it.

The can got the SJ up to a more convenient height and caught ashes at the end of the day.

The SJ is big enough for many cooking projects. Someone out there might like to try a set up like this.

Wm McD

Today I picked a grill for $20 from a guy on Craigslist. It wasn't a Weber but it was very similar. I was hoping for a Weber for fathers day but I figure I really can't go wrong for $20. The stand is alittle wooblely but the grill itself is in perfect shape. I also picked up some hamburger, chicken, and a 12 pack of Bud Light. I'll find out how well it cooks.

Today I picked a grill for $20 from a guy on Craigslist. It wasn't a Weber but it was very similar. I was hoping for a Weber for fathers day but I figure I really can't go wrong for $20. The stand is alittle wooblely but the grill itself is in perfect shape. I also picked up some hamburger, chicken, and a 12 pack of Bud Light. I'll find out how well it cooks.

Drink the Bud Light first and the food will taste better.

Bought one of these a year or so ago: http://www.chargriller.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=9ab9e3a6de5764074f133fc203c83094

Had to make a minor mod to the charcoal side to get a better distribution of heat for slow cooking/smoking of pork, ribs, brisket, but it does one hell of a job for a small investment. To be sure it's no Jambo Pit or any other pro model, but it didn't cost me $3K dollars either. The gas side is decent and it's nice to have gas a compliment/option for things like grilling veggies & such. I've put some folks to shame with this smoker - especially when they see how "cheap" it is.

Tom

Well I got the Weber yesterday the 22 inch model as well as chimney starter, cover and hickory charcoal. It took me maybe 30 minutes to put it together. It took me a little longer to get it up to temp than I thought. I fixed grilled corn on cob and burger with onions, bacon and cheddar cheese mixed into them. It was a pleasure to grill on charcoal for 4. The coals are almost cool now so I will empty the grill and cover it up for tonight.

• Like 1

I love my Weber grills. I have a 25 year old 22 1/2" kettle that still looks like new (I keep a cover on it), a 22 1/2" performer with the propane start and a 18 1/2" Weber smoker.

I find that it takes about 30 minutes from when you light the coals until they are ready (coals turn grey). I use my empty charcoal bag to dump the ashes into when the catcher gets full, make sure you empty the catcher before using the grill to ensure that there are not hot embers. I also make sure that the grill is cool to the touch before putting the cover back on. I use Kingsford charcoal because it has larger chunks and burns evenly. The best time to buy charcoal is Memorial day and Labor day weekend, it is discounted the most at these times.

Good luck with your new Weber!