Rotel-Out, Arcam-In

rockbobmel

Well, I finally found an Arcam FMJ P-25 (3 channel) amp. I already have a P-25 2 channel, so I traded off my RB- 1080. So now I have 5x100wpc exact same amplification.

I know I am going from 200wpc to 100wpc, but the Arcam sounds sweeter (I tried mt P-25 when my Rotel was out.)

I read somewhere that the P-25 can put out 170wpc for 4 ohm peaks.

How critical is the RF-7's 2 ohm dip? Will the Arcam be safe with them? I really don't get the fluxuating ohm thing.

I also am thinking of bi-amping the tweeters with a few spare channels- Rotel 65wpc (RB-976) This amp has level controls on the front so I could adjust to taste.

Any opinions? Advice?

Thanks, Bob

Typically external amps from great companies like Arcam are built to handle more difficult speakers than a receiver ever would be.

As far as the fluctuating ohm thing, a speaker's ohm resistance varies with different frequencies. A speaker could have a 2.8 ohm resistance at 250Hz and then have a 20 ohm resistance at 1.5kHz.

I also am thinking of bi-amping the tweeters with a few spare channels- Rotel 65wpc (RB-976) This amp has level controls on the front so I could adjust to taste.

What do you think of this idea. Are they compatible??

My advice is to try it and see if you like it!