Sansui G-22000 Reciever with Klipschorns

dlb945

A friend found a Sansui G-22000 Receiver, an Akai GX-645D along with 4 Sansui floor speakers at a thrift shop and phoned me to ask if $200 was too much for this "Old Junk". I asked him what shape they were in and he said "I'm not sure. They are all in their original boxes. I'll open the Receiver box and let you know." He then said "The Receiver is in two boxes and looks brand new. The Tape Recorder and Speakers are also in original boxes. There are also two boxes of 10 1/2 inch reels of tape along with several sizes of empty reels." I suggested that he buy everything and I will take them off his hands. AND I DID!My friend was nice enough to deliver all the pieces to my house then he left. I had no idea how big the Sansui G-22000 receiver was until I began removing the two parts from their boxes. The preamp and amplifier can either be separate or connected together to make one LARGE RECEIVER. When I say large, it is 25 inches wide, 9 inches high, and 24 inches deep. The receiver when bolted together weighs 95 lbs. Wow ... it really is large.I did not think the G-22000 would sound very good with my Khorns since they are very powerful at 220 watts RMS per channel. I was wrong. After about 3 hours of playing, it began to settle in with one of the best sound fields I have ever heard through the Khorns. With most analog recordings, the image stretches well past the left and right speaker positions and my back wall completely disappears. Instruments and voices lock into position with uncanny realism. Recorded impacts from drums and triangles are very real and seem to be in the room All this with only 3 clicks of the precision volume control.I normally play music through an upgraded Marantz 7T SS Preamp and an upgraded Conrad Johnson MV-75A1 Tube Amplifier but the Sansui Receiver matches my day-to-day setup with warmth but with greater image control. I love the beast for the sound but it sure is BIG. Have any others had a chance to listen to the G-22000 or its bigger brother the G-33000? If so, through what speakers?>>>Dan

%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CDan%20Be

I remember those 2-piece receivers back in the day, they were beasts. Great score, that would make a great basement system.

I have my Forte's bi-amped with my Pioneer SX-1980 driving the woofers and my Dynaco 70 driving the mids and tweeters. Best of both worlds, chest pounding bass and silky smooth mids & highs.

I have my Forte's bi-amped with my Pioneer SX-1980 driving the woofers and my Dynaco 70 driving the mids and tweeters. Best of both worlds, chest pounding bass and silky smooth mids & highs.

I had the opportunity to hear Southern's system set up in this manner and it sounds very, very good. [Y]

amazing purchase ,dude!!

lucky you!

but you didnt mention anything about how loud it went ,and how was the sound tonality.

220 watts sure is some impeccable power rating .how did those monster speakers at 105 dbs ,sound at 40 percent or say 50 percent volume setting ?

How loud you asked!

I have a RadioShack sound level meter. Just for fun, I cranked up the G-22000 until the room was rocking playing Jackson's Thriller LP. The Billie Jean track was being played at about -22db volume (about 45% setting) and at my seat, or sweet spot, the RadioShack meter showed over 100 db C weighted with peaks close to 110 db! The K-horns loved it. I could see the window glass vibrating with the bass beat. I did not notice any distortion at all and I was surprised that the stylus remained in the groove since my turntable is only 18 inches from the left corner of the right Klipschorn. The turntable sits atop 2 slabs of stone (with solid rubber balls halves between slabs) and these sit on a 48" relay rack. The relay rack, speakers and furniture sit on carpet which is glued to a concrete floor. The watt meters of the G-22000 read peak wattage and I never saw it climb above 12 watts. Lots of reserve with this unit.

I'm not sure what this means other than the G-22000 appears to be loafing and I'm sure that if I cranked it up to maximum output, I would be replacing drivers in the Khorns. The Sansui G-22000 is a real live high-end unit with a sound stage 'to die for'. My big negative remains ... the darn thing is so big that it looks like an engineering joke.

wow.at 12 watts u are way above a 100dbs.well all i have is my cell phone db meter .the android made SPL meter for G1 google phone.and using this amateur gear i have been able to touch 118 dbs and that was when i had bought my speakers ,6 months ago perhaps.the track was a trance music.and i think if i had played some song with lyrics the mids would have blown the spl meter to above 120.i did it for just a few seconds maybe 20 or so.and nothing seemed to be physically threated .however i used not the 12 watts like urs but the jvc 911 amplifier that i gave away is a 100 watts amp,well,no match for ur beasts though,lolz.

have u had any other klipsch,the reference or some other ?maybe u could squeeze in some info as to how the klipschorns sound in contrast to some reference speakers rf3s or rf7s ,just for my knowledge plz .i know they are way more efficient ,but other than that what are ur findings ?????

i dont get it ,

1) at 45 % of your vol setting ,ur amp delivers only 12 watts ????

when are you gonna get the rest of those watts ,lolz?

2) at 105 dbs spl of klipschorns sensitivity , those 12 watts should get you somewhere around 116 or 118 dbs .isnt it ????

just wondering ?

Remember, your talking about a 30+ year old receiver. Just marvel how much Technology has changed and things have gotten smaller...............

Enjoy and don't get wrapped around the axle with the Numbers..................Enjoy the SOUNDS............[H]