Prostate Surgery a success!

kevinmi

I had my prostate surgery done on Thursday,and the Doctor said the cancer was contained to the prostate. Glad it was caught in time! I'm now at home recuperating, and thanking God that I get another chance at life. I can't wait until I feel up to going downstairs to the man cave for a little "tube and horn" therapy! Thanks to everyone for keeping me in their thoughts and prayers! -Kevin

Having expirenced using a catheter for about a week there was no pain but it was very annoying with those totally ridiculous straps designed to hold the bag onto your leg. They keep slipping down. There should be a waist strap to hold the bag in one position. I was amazed to find that the catheter had three channels---one for injecting medicine, one for pee-pee, and one sealed with fluid to enflate the balloon at the other end to keep the catheter from falling out. When the fluid is drained out the catheter just about falls out.

JJK

I am kinda liking the convenience of the catheter and bag. Not having to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes is a plus! I just hope I don't get too used to the idea of not using the bathroom. It would be embarrasing if I forgot I didn't have a catheter after it is removed!

Hey Kevin -

As a prostate cancer survivor, I too am glad your surgery went well and that the cancer was confined to your prostate. BTW.....did you ever get the email I sent you about my thoughts of surgery versus radiation??

And I too had the same thoughts about the catheter. I kept thinking, man this would be the answer at a sporting event where you're drinking beer and the bathrooms were a hike away or at a festival that only had porta-potties.

My wife asked me what it felt like when the nurse removed my catheter and I told her it felt like a flock of quail had flown outta my @ss.

Tom

As a prostate cancer survivor, I too am glad your surgery went well and that the cancer was confined to your prostate. BTW.....did you ever get the email I sent you about my thoughts of surgery versus radiation??

Hi Tom, I did get your email about the radiation vs surgery. I thought I wrote you back. At any rate I did appreciate the info. I have talked to several people who have had one or the other, and from what I've gathered, there are some who had the radiation treatment who weren't 100% satisfied with the results, although most are. I haven't heard of anyone who had it removed regret their decision, but I'm sure there are some out there. The other option is whether to have the surgery done the traditional (incision) way or robotic. I had mine done the traditional way, due mostly because of which Doctors could perform the surgery at which hospitals, etc. It turned out that my Doctor couldn't perform the surgery at the local Hospital that had the robotics. I have an incision from my belly button all the way down past my hairline, and it is painful dealing with ab muscles that have been cut open and stapled back together! Ther is a shorter recovery time with the robotic surgery, but the time on the operating table increases from 1 hour to 3 hours with the robots. Seems there are tradeoffs no matter which route you choose. I'm just going to relax for the next 6 weeks or so and enjoy some quality time in the man cave. I might even build that Decware amp kit I got in the mail yesterday!