OT: Refrigerator repair time!!

fini

My fridge problem occured a couple of years ago, on a top freezer, 20 cu ft Kenmore. It was barely keeping food at 40 degrees, and was a little colder in the freezer, but when I called Sears, they told me a repair was about 10 days out. I said "WTH?"

GoodBye! Called a 24/7 place and had it fixed for $145, which was for a locked up fan circulator between the freezer and fridge.

It's been a better fridge than the Fridgidaire it replaced in early 2000, as that thing was horrendously loud when it ran.

On a related note, I had a 2 year old $75 GE microwave oven that went kaput electrically - you had to keep unplugging it to make it work. After a cold winter stored in a cold garage, I tried it again before I had to "pay" to get rid of it, but it started working again.

It's now in my basement working very well since then.

NP - Vinnie Moore - Meltdown.

You probably saw this post http://fixitnow.com/wp/2006/04/14/excessive-compressor-failures-in-frigidaire-kenmore-refrigerators/ in your search. Another possible culprit is the compressor start relay.

Well, my problem was the relay. If it had been an appliance other than the refrigerator, I would have worked on it myself (especially seeing how easy the job was). Not that the refer is rocket science, but the food in the coolers was a ticking clock that got too loud. Oh well, if it (or any other problem) goes again (within a year) I'm covered. It's weird seeing the freezer so empty. Good thing I just picked up the whole ribeye I bought yesterday for $5/lb. (cut into a 3-rib roast and 8 steaks).

Fini, so you paid $252.00 for a relay and the labor to diagnose and replace it?

Well, to put myself in a position to be verbally chastised [*-)], in a word, yes.

All the new kitchen appliances we've bought in the last 6 years or so have had repairs ~more than once, except for the microwave/hood (knock-on-wood).

On the fridge (Jenn-Air side by side), there is a circuit board with a microprocessor. This board tends to get heavily frosted. It may need to be replaced as it controls everything. Sometimes you can just defrost the board with an electric hair dryer and everything is back to normal. $252 service call.

[:@]