Built DIY La Scala (Sorta)

I got these bins on a horse trade gone wrong... VERY ruff shape. I took them to my cabinet builder and got some help. I wont show the before pics... but work included: removal of trim that was not flush, routing edges to be flush, laminating 1/2 baltic birch, Adding a keyed bottom plate and resealing everything. I was having some cabinet doors refinished down the street from where I work... really nice guy.... so the Bass bins got a Walnut finish. Top cabs are almost done... Will be mounting the horns from the back and using nuts. the barrier ship to conect to the LF driver will be accessed via a hole cut into the bottom of the Horn asmbly. Finally I have a nice set of splits.

Bobs cross overs, and tweeter, K400 horn, K55 driver, Bob's LF driver. The bass seems tighter/faster then my Cornscala in the background... Not sure which I like more.

post-39161-13819598633644_thumb.jpg

post-39161-13819616858758_thumb.jpg

Routers are my friends :-).... Amazing what they can fix... adding 1/2 baltic ***** was a good idea... couldnt get it any thicker... I had mapple too, but it was thicker plys..., Im not sure if the keys bottom seal was a good idea... seem it couldnt hurt.

Jubs are 2way right... what horn and driver? Im game... Now as splits the horn adventure begins.

You'll need a pair of K510 (small) or K402 (very large) horns with K-69A drivers, then you need a pair of stereo power amps and an active electronic crossover. The E-V Dx38 is the recommended crossover, but you can get certain pro sound amps with built-in DSP, which costs less than the separate amps and crossover.

Since the Jubilee and JubScala cross from woofer to tweeter at around 475-500Hz, each driver covers about 5 octaves, meaning that the power required for the bass and treble is quite similar, so matching bass and treble amps will make power matching easier and give you more even sound from bottom to top.

The Jub setup is 2-way, so there's only one inter-driver phase issue, rather than the two that you get with a 3-way system. Also, with the recommended components, you can use the factory-tested and proven EQ settings for the crossover. Finally, the electronic crossover allows for time-aligning the drivers by delaying the tweeters so their shorter horns (shorter than the woofer horns) are compensated for.

The end result is some seriously good sound. The Jubilee is the full-meal deal, but the JubScala is a more affordable approximation, in both price and size, of PWK's final vision for an excellent home speaker. Roy Delgado also played a large part in the development of both speakers, perhaps the major part in the case of the JubScala.