What's more fun than a Velodyne DD-18?

laager

My ego has nothing to do with Velodyne or an overly "reflective" room.

I still like Velodyne HGS/DD series, very clean subs. The servo control does work,is proven and thes are SQ subs first. Not very high output but very high sound qualitya nd very low distortion. See my ego has nothing to do with the qualities/performance of any product.

Velodyne has not improved on the design since many years(simple firmware updates to tweak the subs a bit). Proof they have a solid product.

So yes those are very nice subs.

WHO ME? LOL

Jay,

I have six TC Sounds LMS Ultra/5400 18's and eight AudioPulse LMS Ultra(5400) 15's, in sealed cabinets. Powered all byQSC's PL380's and PLX2 amps.

I also have an array of Exodus Maelstrom-X's and Tempest X2's. Plus Acoupower and co....

Lets just say I am not bass starved at the moment.

My BIG plan is to buy two Danley CineMonster subs (each using what apears to be two 21inch B&C drivers). Each unit a giant 5 foot by 5 foot by nearly 2.5 foot cabinets. Sensitivity off the charts!109dB1W/1M sensitive,two unitsstacked...115dB(2W input!!!) Now factor Danley 145dB max output,per unit... we have staggering output. Capable of filling a huge space,for home use it is off the freaking charts.Amps ...I have two spare(for now) Crown iTech 6000 I can use with these.

I like my Klipsch speakers no secret here(Reference series best,Palladium) , Danley and Seaton Sound will soon join the ranks of what I call my favorite efficient audio gear. And Dynaudio as well as Focal(JMLab) the so so efficient(lower sensitivity)speakers that sound great.

Whew.... excuse this slight OT.

I have yet to get a price,calling Danley ...Monday. [:P] I can guess ~5000-$7000 apiece. Still a bargain considering the ...OUTPUT that demolishes HT subs from any given company. Two co located subs we are talking 150dB! Forget a measly 126 or even 136dB... forget direct radiating designs. Giant tapped horns using giant drivers powered by gigantic power amps equals world beating output.

My current array(finished tomorrow!) is capable of a close output. In other words, winodow shattering output. But costs much much more in drivers alone and ...power amps...whew I pourred over 80K in my sub array. I smash theaters in displacement and extension. Soon a clip on YouTube showing the system flexing its cones, then kiddies and fools will ask...we want to see Bass I hate You by Pooptronics and some hollering crap rap tune where the goofballs shout some BS and think they are grown ups! [:D]

TheEar why bother at that point now, when your subwoofer you already have can overwhelm the speakers (palladiums max anechoic around 120 spl) I bet the dynaudio around 115 or so?With the danley you are talking about having 1000 times more power then the speakers or so.

Posted Image

Front LEFT TC Sounds array...more pics to follow tomorrow...

I will be getting Seaton Sound powered monitors (type of very large MTM) ,they sell for $3500 each, and are both about SQ and high output. The Danley should also very accurate and capable of extreme SPL(~4K apiece).

Not I am SPL deprived with Dynaudio Confidence or Klipsch Palladium. [:P] I also have since a few months Genelec monitors,quite potent and razor accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably been over a year since my last visit, but after reading only one post I'm guaranteed that the Ear is still at it!!! :) Lovingly put...the ego of a 16 year old boy, the charm of a fence post and the almost-autistic drive to needlessly fill a room with as many useless "thunder-makers" as can annoy the neighbor 5 blocks over. The hapless visitor to your house is likely to walk out quickly with an awkward excuse that he "left the iron on" while he turns to his wife and asks what mental illness this poor rain man is suffering from and why he isn't under the supervision of his parents!

DD18 post = successful

Ear contribution = null

DD18 reply= annoyed

Ear hijack = successful

• Like 1

Looks like a great setup you have there! Having two subs that go down to 14Hz must sound truly amazing! Have you run into any problems running two identical subs in the same room? I did a quick search on those subs and they are truly beasts, and you have two of them....wicked.

Having two subs that go down to 14Hz must sound truly amazing!

14dB is the -3dB point. I have switched the subsonic filter to a 6dB slope from 15Hz down (default is 24dB) and I tried a test frequency CD last week. With the pair of them running at around 45% each there was still very significant output at 10Hz. Not that much use to me as I run them at 7-15% each, 99% of the time.

Have you run into any problems running two identical subs in the same room?

No 'problems' directly attributable to there being two, other than the increased floor space required (of which I have plenty) and finding the motivation to move them around to find best placement (of which I have little).

Plenty more fun than a DD-18. That sub is way overpriced for what you get. TOO EXPENSIVE! And 2 of them sounds like a HUGE waste of money. I would personally say SVS is way better and less expensive. Sorry bro but I'd rather have the SVS PB13 ULTRA any day over that thing. And with the SVS being better in sound and playing lower it even looks waaaaay nicer. I was quiet for awhile but just can't take it anymore. Really sick of hearing about this overpriced sub that the SVS flagship blows outta the water!!! I'm sure plenty of forum members that know good high end subs including forum SVS owners are in the same boat with me. We've all had enough of the DD-18! NEWS FLASH!!! IT'S NOT THAT GOOD AND SCORES PRETTY LOW ON THE LIST OF TOP 20 SUBS.

Plenty more fun than a DD-18. That sub is way overpriced for what you get. TOO EXPENSIVE! And 2 of them sounds like a HUGE waste of money. I would personally say SVS is way better and less expensive. Sorry bro but I'd rather have the SVS PB13 ULTRA any day over that thing. And with the SVS being better in sound and playing lower it even looks waaaaay nicer. I was quiet for awhile but just can't take it anymore. Really sick of hearing about this overpriced sub that the SVS flagship blows outta the water!!! I'm sure plenty of forum members that know good high end subs including forum SVS owners are in the same boat with me. We've all had enough of the DD-18! NEWS FLASH!!! IT'S NOT THAT GOOD AND SCORES PRETTY LOW ON THE LIST OF TOP 20 SUBS.

Please do not make fun of other people's choices, SVS make fine subs but it is geared more toward home theater. The velodyne dd-18 is great for music. I rather have the DD-18 for a music only system than the svs due to the non ported design.

And I have rather have my subwoofer over a SVS PB13 Ultra anyday.

Jeez, take it easy, everyone has a right to be proud of their audio components and boast what they feel suits their fancy.

I had a set of Advent Maestro's, my first somewhat decent speakers and i showed them off as they were gold because i worked dam hard to save my nickles & dimes.

Bring your SVS over and borrow another to make the playing field fair and we can see who can make the rain gutters vibrate the loudest.

No really, just chill out, this is just here for info & fun anyways.

YMA8888,

Relax just because we all do not use SVS does not mean we have cheap subs, I use a modest setup that no commercial sub or pair or quads can touch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bsod4u2

TC Sounds LMS-Ultra over the SVS Ultra all day any day.

That is some very nice gear you have there!

I didn't see any Quintets so I'm not overly impressed[:D]