Audioquest Sidewinder Interconnects at Best Buy?

CapZark

Well, I know that my opinion will start a raging controversy, but what the heck! Stick with the cheap stuff. For interconnects that are relatively short, say less than 3 feet, it probably doesn't matter what you use as long as they make a good electrical connection to the jacks. Put a little De-Oxit on the plug center pin, and on the outside of the jacks, and you should be in good shape. Since the cheap interconnects may not be as well shielded as some of the more expensive ones, be sure to keep them away from your AC power cords to avoid any potential coupling which could induce some hum/noise in a worst-case scenario.

I like them. Good open sound to them. Great for cdp, tape, etc.

My only issue with them is with high current SS amps (Adcom GFA555II Denon POA1500). I get a little hum with them in my system. It's minimal but then again I have way too many components run on a single outlet. I could get the hum out by seperating my wiring from my ICs and relocation my power conditioner. I mean really seperating them. It was when using the high current amps only.

I bought about a half dozen AQ sidewinders a few years ago, and three have cracked/broken solder connections. Two simply broke mid-listening-session - a sudden loud hum starts emanating from the system from apparent "stress-fracturing" of the solder connections. Now these cables weren't laid out in "stressful" fashion (in fact, efforts are always made to run those cables in a way that they are "comfortable"), but I must say I wasn't too impressed with the construction of these.

I DO like the sound, and yes, they can be resoldered, but three out of six ain't good.

I bought about a half dozen AQ sidewinders a few years ago, and three have cracked/broken solder connections. Two simply broke mid-listening-session - a sudden loud hum starts emanating from the system from apparent "stress-fracturing" of the solder connections. Now these cables weren't laid out in "stressful" fashion (in fact, efforts are always made to run those cables in a way that they are "comfortable"), but I must say I wasn't too impressed with the construction of these.

I DO like the sound, and yes, they can be resoldered, but three out of six ain't good.

I had a pair do the same thing. AQ replaced without question and had that replaced pair back within 4 days of them receiving mine.

Good Product Support

The guy from Best Buy just called me and told me AQ has a pair of 2M interconnects that retail for $2,400.00! I don't care how good they sound that's just downright stupid. I can't believe they've even sold one pair. Only a Gazillionaire could afford those.

The guy from Best Buy just called me and told me AQ has a pair of 2M interconnects that retail for $2,400.00! I don't care how good they sound that's just downright stupid. I can't believe they've even sold one pair. Only a Gazillionaire could afford those.

Nah. A Gazillionaire wouldn't buy them. A Gazillionaire doesn't become (or remain) a Gazillionaire by such idiotic expenditure. [:P]

Just 2 cents from a guy that has always thought that wires are just wires.

I had a variety of things thrown together in my two channel but mostly Verastarr interconnects from the manufacturer obtained when I got my modded Jolida CDP from them oh 3 or 4 years ago. In the last few months I have collected a complete set of Verastarr Silver Stream interconnects, power cables, speaker wires and sub cables from A...gon dutch auctions. Call it whatever you want (I hate the corporate word Synergy) but I really like the sound of the Silver Stream set, they ain't ugly to me and the seller has always worked with me making custom lengths of everything at the per foot auction price. This may not be the result of having this particular brand rather than having all one brand but it works for me.

Here's my opinion after hearing and owning Sidewinders, Diamondbacks, King Cobras and Columbia. (moved up the ladder) I would for sure get the King Cobras or if you can afford do the Columbia's which sound much better then KC's. Get them used at half price from Audiogon. DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY!.

Cables do make a difference. How's this.. When you do pick up a set of Audioquests, please tell us if you can notice a diference.

Hope this helps~

Ronnie

Again, this is a controversial subject. However, good cables bring out the details. Maybe what we need for the forum is a nice set of test cables to pass around. If they sound better then what you have then there's the answer.

ronnie

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

Who can we get to donate said high quality cable?

The cable issue is something I have been struggling with for quite some time. I just can't bring myself to invest a sizable amount of cash in cables, either for speakers or connectors, without knowing for sure that they will enhance my listening pleasure.

Every time I think I am ready to give it a shot. I think about it again and decide to wait and hope something will fall my way for dirt cheap. Still waiting.. LOL

Tom

I use a mixture of Monster-( whole product line is pure garbage IMHO) and blue jean on my HT setup. At some point I will repalce the monster interconnects with Blue jean- For HT I really don't think that IC or speaker wires are that big of a deal. The high end monsters have fallen apart one at a time- with hum issues and you name it. I would say any interconnects are OK for HT applications except monsters. The RCA plastic coated examples from Lowes are my misc backups and honestly- I have no issues with them. I do think the blue jean or mono price is the way to go if you don't want to invest a lot of cash.

I would say the same thing for a solid state amp setup- BJ or Mono price is rthe way to go.

However- with tube stuff- I have rolled wires and there is a difference. Switching to Nordost blue heavens all around has definitely enhanced the higher frequencies- to my ears at least. very pleased- I have not heard the AQ- DBs but they have an excellent rep according to local info sources. I think the cables/wires are an up grade in any tube setup up to a financial point of diminishing return. I know a guy who just spent 3 grand on interconnects alone.

I know another local guy makes custom wires for high end customers- not for me - but he stays busy.

I have bought used cables and wires form AG and E-aby without issue-lucky I guess.