Annoying HDMI technology?

Coytee

Other day I was going to be outside working on the porch (staining).

Hooked up the MWM's and K402 outside, plugged my 100' wires into my amps, turned a DVD on and hit play.

The new TV turned on. I didn't turn it on, I didn't need it on, I didn't WANT it on. The DVD came up to play, now visible on the TV. I turned the TV off because I was going to be outside and only wanted the sound.

The DVD player turned off when I turned the TV off.

huh?

I turned the DVD player back on.... and the TV turned back on.

It was like a ghost was trying to annoy me!!! My DVD player (BR) is slow to load. It's finally dawning on me that it's the HDMI cable that is talking back/forth between the two items. I do not have any kind of triggers or anything like that.

I just thought this was interesting. I forget how I got around this... I think I turned the DVD player on and when the TV turned on but prior to the DVD actually finishing loading the movie, I turned the TV off again and the DVD player continued to load.

The TV would have been in TV mode (satellite) so it also selected the input automatically.

I'm not yet sure that I like this idea. I suppose once I get a HT unit to control all the video switching it won't matter since I'll then only have a single connection to my TV.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to
adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make
it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we
will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will
control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can
change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For
the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and
hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You
are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to
experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...
The Outer Limits.

Interesting (and good) to know that this can be defeated.

I sort of like the idea, now that I know it exists. It was more of a surprise to me to have this happen.

Does this infer that if I had a third HDMI item and turned it on, that this same thing would happen and it would default to the third input?

I'll have to root around the menu to see how this works.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to
adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make
it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we
will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will
control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can
change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For
the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and
hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You
are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to
experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...
The Outer Limits.

Hahaha......

100 ft. speaker wires? You could have a 100 ft. extension cord and 10 ft. speaker wires.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I can't.

You've seen my stuff upstairs. Surely you aren't suggesting I undo all of that and carry it downstairs when I can simply swap speaker wires (for what ever pro or con that may bring) and string them through the window down to the driveway?

Even if there is some benefit to lugging the electronics down and shorten the speaker wire.... it just ain't gonna happen!!

[:D]

I looked through the TV's menu earlier and didn't see anything that might suggest some automatic triggering. Are we sure that it's defeatable?

any thoughts as to where it might be buried? (TV or DVD player? although logic tells me it has to be in the TV)

Here's a link to the TV

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077678

Looks like the HDMI ports on the rear are of two types. One which supports the HDMI controls (marked ARC) and one which doesn't. Switch the cable to the non ARC port.

Doesn't look like you have a setting within software to turn the feature on or off. Odd. I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and Panasonic TV and both have the ability to turn off the feature (Panasonic call it Viera link).

There's some reference to 'HDMI Control' on Sony's site.

The manual for your TV is just terrible. [:(]

Last night, I went through more of the menu, looking at things even if they did not seem to relate.

I currently forget what I found and where I found it BUT! (there is always a but)

I found an on screen list of inputs and next to them an electronic choice. What confused me is the choice seems to be either "on" or "automatic" (I forget the exact wording they used but that's the essence).

I do not see how on and automatic give me much of a choice since both of those default to a working condition and do not allow me to defeat something.

It's certainly possible I was looking at the wrong information on the screen but it was the closest thing I could find that gave me a list of the inputs and an option next to them.

The manual that actually came with the tv is useless. I must say though... this isn't really too bad of a reality. in some ways I like it so I now don't have to keep flipping through the inputs like I did my prior tv. What REALLY annoyed me with the prior tv is I could not go directly to an input I HAD to scroll through them numerically. In other words, my DTV was hooked up on input 6 and my DVD was on input 7 (no reason). If I wanted to change from the DVD back to the TV, I had to hit the input button and scroll through input 8, PC, 1,2,3,4,5 and then 6.

With this new one I would still have to manually change BUT I can go directly via a screen menu or, now I've learned, I can simply turn my dvd player off and if it's already on, turn my DTV box off....and then back on and it will automatically select that input.

Either one of these situations are far better than having to scroll through all the choices without the ability to go directly. So even if I live with this situation it's an improvement over what I had.

I was just surprised to discover this and thought it was funny how one unit kept tripping me up towards reaching my original goal...(dvd on and tv off)