Detroit had an earthquake around 1:45 pm this afternoon.

picky

It was center near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and measured 5.5 on the scale. Some folks here felt it but Venra and I noticed nothing. It does happen here occasionally but not very often. Did anyone else feel it? If so, where were you and how bad was it? -Glenn

In Kingston here, and I didn't feel anything but my wife said she did. I have been through about 8 earthquakes, and have not felt one. Weird. Guess they have to be real shakers! They have reported that the centre was in Quebec, in a part slightly north of Ottawa.

It scared the hell out of my 83 year old mother. She was a sleep on a couch and the shaking woke Her up. Knocked pictures of a shelf and rattled glasses and dishes. She said it lasted about 15 seconds. She lives Near Ogdensburg N.Y. which is about 55 miles south of Ottawa on the St. Lawrence River. I Didn't feel anything in western N.Y.

There was an earthquake in eastern Canada in 1986. When it happened, I was in Toronto in my single-storey house talking on the phone to my dad, who was in a sixth-floor apartment then.

He suddenly yelled that the sofa was sliding around the room, while I could feel nothing at my place, just a few kilometres away. A friend who was in another tall building at the same time also noticed the movement, but you couldn't feel it at ground level.

Luckily, it wasn't a strong one and little or no damage was done.

If there was an earthquake in detroit would there be anyone left to feel it?

At least a couple of million of us in the Detroit Metro area. Don't believe everything you read and see on TV.

I love the "D" and not just for Historical reasons, or like some rubberneck a car crash, plenty to love there still and great people.

Problems? Some world class ones and Google Maps, walking option, seems to want to make sure you see them all.

Why when walking Google Maps would send you up Cass, instead of Woodward, makes me believe someone at Google, has a sense of humor.

Still no worries, even as I was winding(wobbling) back to the bus station at 3a.m.

Detroit has vibrant and growing Arts & Music Scene and is well poised for a rebirth.

It will never be what it was, but that could end up being a good thing, as opposed to a city of industry, a city of good people, including Picky of course![:D]

I think you guys are just gettin jealous of us west coasters Stick out tongue

Huh? I heard no mention of smog, Santa Anna winds, wildfires, & mudslides, Jim? [;)]

All: On pronouncing "Detroit": It's pretty much whatever works for you around here. We have so many wonderful ethnicities and dialects living here; a true melting pot. Detroit is a rich amalgam of all the nationalities that moved here to work in the auto industry of the 20th century. From downtown to Greektown, to Poletown, Mexican Town, Delray and Hockeytown. The area also has the largest population of middle-easterners in the world outside of the middle-east itself. And Canada is our very close neighbor who shares the busiest international border crossing in the United States with us.

So, no matter how you say it: Detroit, Dee-troit, De-troy-it, Dit-troit or even Day-twah; nobody around here is gonna correct you. I just call it "home".