1976 Cornwalls

zappa883

Good Day Ah.....

Plan to audition a pr of 76 Cornwalls in the near future, anything you guys can recommend I watch out for. Not a fan of paying good money and getting ripped. Also what are they generally selling for in the various parts of continental North America ?

My intent is to use them to replace my EV Interface C's

• Like 1

I don't know if you have this but it will tell you all the innards it should have. It was put together by Groomslake a while ago and is a historical time line of the Heritage speakers.

If you don't know the seller ask to open them open and take a look to see if everything is original.

As far as price, that's a tough one. I picked up two pairs of vertical Cornwalls over 2 years ago and didn't pay over $600 for either of them, both are Decorator versions.

James

KLIPSCH HERITAGE TYPES Codes Forum.pdf

KLIPSCH HERITAGE TYPES Codes Forum.pdf

Price-wise, I think Cornwalls SELL from $400 - $1000. You will see them listed on Audiogon for much more but they don't sell. $400 is abnormally low, the typical range would be $550 - $850 for a pair, for decent condition speakers. You can always find a beat up pair for less or minty ones for more. The vertical decorators in the last post are less abundant, and therefor have a higher price. Upgraded crossovers, etc. also command higher prices.

Thanks for the input, went for a drive yesterday and got them. No way are they 76, according to the Heritage Reference data the data is as follows.,,,

C2 (2 x 1 in Roman numerals) - BR (don't look at all like Raw Birch that I've ever seen to dark) and numbered with a stamp 8709809 and the second is a 10

Can some else try to verify the s/n as I see it as they are 1989 built in the 9th week and not certain about the rest.....

Himmed and hawed at 800 acct asking 900 but bent over and took it.

• Like 1

A couple questions...

Is the "Cornwall II" printed on a black background in white letters, all uniform and lined up, near banana-plug compatible speaker wire terminals? Or is it staggered print (one letter is lower, the next is higher, then lower, etc.) on a sticker type label, with a screw for wire binding posts?

The prior would be the newer cornwall II speakers; the latter would be the older "vertical" cornwall, I believe. I have heard of some exceptions to the old Cornwall II's being vertical, but.... If they are the older cornwalls, they are in fact regualr cornwalls, just verticals, which were sometimes called cornwall II's on their label. As far as the serial goes, is the 3rd character in a Zero (0) or letter (O)? That would help. If it is a letter, they might be '74's, I think?

On the CBR, They could have originally been raw birch, then stained. This happened frequently w/ CBRs. Mine are CBR, but look like medium oak, due to poly coats.

Either way, Cornwall verts or Cornwall II's, I would say you got a decent price, if they are in good shape. Congrats and Enjoy!

As far as the serial goes, is the 3rd character in a Zero (0) or letter (O)? That would help. If it is a letter, they might be '74's, I think?

I believe that Klipsch skipped the letter "O'" for that very reason. In the code sheet above it goes from "N = 1975" to "P = 1976".

James

The serial number info is on a piece of paper stapled towards the top back center of the speaker cabinet. the C11( written in Roman numerals) is hand written as is the BR and the serial numbers stamped on with 2 signatures under that. I was actually surpised to see the fact that the terminal connector plate was a custom Klipsch one with banana plugs and some additional writing and Klipsch info on it. I brought along a scew driver set as my intent was to pull off the back but to my surprise the backs appeared to be nailed on with small finishing nails. The speakers are front or surface mounted the grills are in perfect condition and are not masonite but rather what appears to be black plastic of some type.

I have pictures at home but not certain how to add them to the post ?

• Like 1

I'll bring in my memory card and try to post some pics. If it doesn't work them perhaps I could PM someone thats in the know with the jpgs. (its a work computer and a little fussy as to whats permitted...)

At the end of the day, they blow away my EV Interface C's which I've had for a long time and always enjoyed too.

• Like 1

The speakers are front or surface mounted

Then in fact they are 1987 Cornwalls II.

To add pictures to your post click on the "Options" tab at the top, then click on the "Add/Update". Click on the "Browse" and find the picture, using this method you can only post one picture per post, then make sure you scroll over and hit "Save". Don't try to preview the post as the picture will not show up, just post it and it should appear.

James