PS3 question

mbr311

Sorry I don't know what the appropriate section is to ask this question so I thought I'd ask here since it gets the most views. I have a question about my PS3 which I almost exclusively use as a blu-ray player. I am having some issues with newer blu-ray discs from Netflix. The most current issue was with "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past." I booted it up and the PS3 wouldn't recognize it (usually the title pops up with a picture). It just said something like "BDTV" or something I can't exactly remember. Then when I try to play it, an error code comes up and it won't play. I put in some older blu-rays and haven't had a problem, even other discs from Netflix and still no problems. I have updated the firmware/software to the newest version and still no luck. I'm hoping its something wrong with the specific disc but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, like is there a problem with newer blu-ray discs and the PS3? Thanks so much in advance for you help I know you guys will lead me in the right direction!

Mark

• Moderators

Hey Mark, I have not used any Netflix disks and have not ever had a bluray that my 80gig will not play.

This search might help

What PS3 do you have (Original, Slim,) and what size hard drive? This might help others who have heard of this issue before.

My bad. When replying to a post, it doesn't show your signature until after you finish posting the reply. [:D]

Well that search was helpful but I don't think (thank god) that it pertains to my problem. I updated to the newest firmware/software using the PS3 network and that's when I initially had the problem so I went ahead and restored the system defaults. I tried it again and it still wouldn't play that one disc. So I went ahead and uploaded the newest software/firmware again and same thing. It plays every other disc I have (including Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen) and I even put in "Youth in Revolt" which is a new release and it played with no problem. So far it just seems to be isolated to that one disc, "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past." So I'm hoping it maybe is simply a problem with the disc. I reported the problem to Netflix and they are sending me a new one so I guess I'll find out tomorrow or Saturday (whenever it comes). But I have tried a bunch of other blu-rays that are fairly new and no problem. Weird. Thanks for that link Youthman I guess I will refer to it if it becomes a larger problem. But I really don't think anything is wrong with my harddrive as everything else is playing just fine. I didn't know maybe if it had to do with discs generating from a particular studio that maybe used a different format? Oh well, like I said I guess I'll find out soon if it is a isolated problem or as I start getting newer and newer releases from Netflix if they continue to not play. Thanks and I'll keep you guys updated.

Mark