Pink Floyd of the Moon ... $54.99 ???

Radmanna

I still have the original album that I bought new back in the day. That's all I have. Darn thing does have a few scratches on it too. That said and fully disclosed I still feel pretty darn complete about my P. Floyd collection. [:D]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning in the late 80s and early 90s CDs were compressed so horribly to make them louder that is took all the dynamics out of the music.

Actually, the compression of pop began in the late 40's and 50's for a simple reason: Music was made or broke on car radios, and without AC the music had to stay loud enough to be heard over the wind noise. It max'd out in the 60's with the "wall of sound."

Dave

Actually, the compression of pop began in the late 40's and 50's for a simple reason: Music was made or broke on car radios, and without AC the music had to stay loud enough to be heard over the wind noise. It max'd out in the 60's with the "wall of sound."

Dave

That is interesting, I guess the music industry has been influenced by automobiles for longer than I thought. Wouldn't you say there is a difference between a production technique like the "wall of sound" used in the creation process and manipulating previously produced material by using compression in a remastering process?

Wouldn't you say there is a difference between a production technique like the "wall of sound" used in the creation process and manipulating previously produced material by using compression in a remastering process?

Yes, sir, I would. The modern reasoning eludes me. The fact is that while the vast majority cannot discuss such things, lack of dynamics and other things we hate impact them as well. They just don't know how to describe it. However, they vote with their pocketbooks.

Dave

Let's all talk Boxx into selling all his gear and then just bloody hiring PF to perform DSOTM and invite all of us over to listen. I promise to agree that it was the best version I have ever heard. That I remember.

Just saw Boxx's system profile, Holy Crap! hahaha....agreed, ditch all the Mcintosh and Palladiums for the greater good. I've always wanted to hear the XRT 18, I've read some awesome things about it.

Let's all talk Boxx into selling all his gear and then just bloody hiring PF to perform DSOTM and invite all of us over to listen. I promise to agree that it was the best version I have ever heard. That I remember.

If the band does a gig at the home of Boxx, could we ask the bass guitarist to play his instrument from the fireplace? I'm still working out the bugs on hooking a subwoofer in my fireplace, and maybe it'll help to hear some bass coming from somebody else's fireplace. Better schedule the gig before winter sets in, so the fireplace doesn't get too uncomfortable.

Regarding the original post:

The Japanese version of the DSOTM SACD is less prone to cracking at the center hole than the U.S. version; that is the ONLY difference & the reason for the price difference. Personally, I got the Japanese version of the SACD on amazon.com about a month ago for $3.00 (lucked out; someone didn't know what they had~). It sounds fantabulous.

Also, I find that MOST multichannel SACDs sound much cleaner in the 5.1 mix as I believe they tend to compromise in the downmixing to 2 channel process.

my $.02...

Also, I find that MOST multichannel SACDs sound much cleaner in the 5.1 mix as I believe they tend to compromise in the downmixing to 2 channel process.

If they do the 2 channel mix as an afterthought and combine the 5.1 to get it, you will have 5.1 channels of noise added to 2 since they started from analog tape.

I'd hate to think they'd do that, but it certainly sounds like it from what you are saying.

Dave

Just picked up DSOTM on SACD for about $15 shipped on eBay. It will be the only SACD I own so far. My PS3 is a SACD player so it will be interesting to check it out. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan so I'm sure I'll love it. Unfortunately my wife probably won't have the same feeling as she already thinks I listen to too much Floyd. Oh well. [:)]

Since I don't have SACD in the car (besides it being a horribly noisy environment in the first place) I'll stick to my 30th annivesary issue on 200gmBig Smile

Dang, that's one HEAVY CD. Devil

Dave

...and much more difficult to play in the Car! [^o)]

Dennie