EV 15wk - only horn loaded?

ned

The Dude abides? 

For what it is worth, the resistance reading of the voice coil was identical to the original K-33 (3.2 ohm if memory serves)

Thanks for the reply. 

N

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Isn't it just a EV 15W but a 4 ohm version designed for the Klipschorn vs the 8 ohm version?

The only factory specs give the size (15 inch), power handling (30W continuous 60W peak), weight (41 pounds), and impedance (16 ohms 3.2 ohms DCR).  No Thiele-Small parameters that would indicate how it would perform on non horn loaded enclosures. I don't think that sort of data had been developed in the early 50s. I did measure the resonant frequency myself on the one that I had and it was 24 cycles per second, IIRC.

• Like 2

Do I understand that this is the low excursion version of the EV 15" speaker? As I see at the top of this thread, this driver is different than the one used in the first generation of Cornwalls. 

Back to the question of this thread, was this speaker used as a direct radiator or only in a reflex cabinet? I suspect it was spec'd correctly for the reflex cabinet that it lived in for 50 years. 

BTW, it is performing very well in a Klipshorn. I am thrilled the way we all are when adding a new piece of gear. If offered a mate, I would be very interested. 

of note: years ago, I refreshed the crossovers with a Crites kit and replaced a tweeter diaphragm. These speakers with a Grado Platinum cartridge satisfied my hifi quest. I run tubes in the winter (Dynakit ST-70 or Fisher 200 monoblocks) and this improves my tinnitus. I run basic solid state or digital amplification during the summer but it gets a bit nasty/etched at high volume. 

This is a great hobby. 

Thank you all for the information.

Ned

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2010 at 12:06 PM, Kenhorns said:

Here's a pic of Cornwall Ser# 229, 1960 Vertical, this one has the rear backplate porting up and down the center, and it has a Jensen 15PLL 15" woofer.

Notice the small woofer opening on the motorboard.... the shadow in the grill cloth. It looks much smaller than a 15" diameter circular cutout.

Was PWK loading the woofer using a smaller cutout???? If so, why???

Based on my Forum readings and study:

CWI was introduced in October 1959 - EV15WK and Jensen P15LL were the offered woofer options. By end of 1959, a few short weeks, the K33J Jensen (the P15LL) became the standard supply on CWI. (The K33J started use on Khorns in April, 1960.) PWK is reported to have treated the surrounds on the P15LL with DBP (dibutlyphalate) to lower free air resonance. The K33M (believed to be Eminence) did not come along to replace the P15LL/K33J on CWI until September, 1967.

I can find no mention of the P15LL ever being designed to Klipsch specs - meaning 3.6 Ohm DCR. Any information will be appreciated!

On Khorns, the EV15WK is 1st used August, 1950, and used until March, 1961 - replaced by then used K33J.

The P15LL began use as early as 1949, the year 26 Khorns were produced.

Stephens 103LX2 was used from August, 1953 on Khorn, replacing the Stephens P52LX2 which began use in 1949 on 2 way Khorns. Both of these were built to Klipsch spec of 3.6 ohm DCR.

post-29133-13819599376946_thumb.jpg

post-29133-13819617711036_thumb.jpg

I have seen a third version EV badged K-33 with the PWK pie slice on the badge from the 1960s. A very handsome driver, but not shure of a suffix? Might this possibly be the earliest K-33 that you are referring too??

Roger

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2010 at 2:20 PM, The Dude said:

I need to read through this thread more carefully, but I have a guy locally that has these laying around 15w or 15wk, I don't quite know what the difference is, except that I thought the k was for Klipsch I am probably wrong with that. But what I am getting to is that I will have to pick his brain but I swear he said they have the alnico mags, this is guy also is a ev dealer who likes to buy up all old stock when stuff is discontinued. He also explains that if they have been redone with the flat wound voice coils, not the cheaper ones(any way to prove this).

They sale for around 250.00 I am sure he will make a deal with me. Also while I am jumping on this thread is there any problems with using the ev dl15w our are these the ones in the toilet.

nick

Were the speakers you looked at EV15Ws or EV15W-Ks? Were they Alnico or ceramic magnet??

Did you end up buying them or not?

Roger

Were the speakers you looked at EV15Ws or EV15W-Ks? Were they Alnico or ceramic magnet??
 Did you end up buying them or not?

Roger
I believe they were alnicos however, the seller claimed that there was no difference in the 15w and 15wk, so when he rebuilt them, he did so with 8 ohm voice coils. so I never ended up buying them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1