Lavera Horn

No link from my website yet, but here's the webpage

www.voltiaudio.com/laverahorn.shtml

I wish you all could come over to my house and hear these! Wow. I don't know how I'm going to get the Khorn tops back in the living room.

Listening to a 1957 recording of Ben Webster and I was just blown away. This is by far the best sounding system I've had in my living room. The more I listen to the Behringer/T-amp setup the more I like it. I've got less than $1000 in electronics feeding these speakers!

Greg

post-11090-1381959938419_thumb.jpg

post-11090-1381961771859_thumb.jpg

Outstanding. The pretty factor is very high no matter what they sound like. Do you have details or a link on the $1,000 pre and amp. To say that they are the best you have ahd in your room is high praise. If only I had corners.

I think it's probably the best overall sound I've enjoyed in my living room, but a lot of it is the speakers. I'm using a Behringer DCX2496 stock, with three Pmac Audio T-amp 20 amplifiers.

It's been a couple of months since I heard my 2A3 monoblocs, so it will be interesting to switch back at some point with passive networks and see what these speakers sound like then.

Greg

post-11090-1381959938521_thumb.jpg

post-11090-1381961771975_thumb.jpg

They are very pretty. I have long term plan to build some wood horns. The jubilee bases on your site would be a nice bin. I also kind of like the integrated design of the JBL synthesis horns. I may even carve my own tweeter horns. Who knows.

Probalbly easier to buy them from you.

It looks like I would have a lot to learn to run that behringer. How is the DAC quality? Also, how do you have the three T amps configured...What drives what? I have a nuforce icon which is a similar amp technology that drives some heresies in my shop. It is suprizingly good for 12 watts per channel.

Any new ideas in the pipeline?

They are very pretty. I have long term plan to build some wood horns. The jubilee bases on your site would be a nice bin. I also kind of like the integrated design of the JBL synthesis horns. I may even carve my own tweeter horns. Who knows.

Probalbly easier to buy them from you.

It looks like I would have a lot to learn to run that behringer. How is the DAC quality? Also, how do you have the three T amps configured...What drives what? I have a nuforce icon which is a similar amp technology that drives some heresies in my shop. It is suprizingly good for 12 watts per channel.

Any new ideas in the pipeline?

You'd get a lot of support here on the forum with the Behringer. It's really not that difficult once you get it set up. I'm using mine as a three-way stereo crossover with one T-amp for the tweeters, one for the mids, and one for the woofers. I chose to use the same exact amp for all three components so I had the same gain structure for all, and the same tonal qualities as the volume is turned up and down.

The DAC quality must be pretty good. I'm very surprised actually. I didn't think it would sound this good.

I've compared the T-amps to my custom 2A3 monoblocs before and still preferred the tubes, but it was closer than I'd like to admit! There are lots of different ways to set up a system. Right now my system is "speaker heavy".

Greg

post-11090-138195993917_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819617729564_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg,

I bet they sound wonderful having heard how good your setup was recently BEFORE the new horns! One thing I was wondering about this test setup, you have the Creek attenuator before the Behinger if I recall correctly. Was wondering if you tried without the Creek so that the Behringer gets full line level all the time? Without a unified volume control it would get tricky to use the pots on the 3 T-amps to find the right balance. Like any component there's probably an optimum input level that the crossover prefers. Too little might lead to lost bits? Too much to being overdriven into distortion? Don't really know enough about so wondering if you tried?

I own a pair and the sound IS AMAZING! Right now the Lavera horns are seated on top of the top hat on top of the bass bins. Yesterday, I started on my first journey to the "dark side" and am using a Behringer DCX2496 with the digital input from an Onkyo DX-7555 CD player so the signals are kept in the digital domain until the DACs after processing. Crown D-75A amplifiers are used for the woofers and midrange and a Crown D-45amplifier for the tweeters.

Currently the crossovers are set at 296Hz and 5.91kHz with LR-48 filters and the relative levels were set by ear. I am building Jamborees to replace the bass bins mainly because I am tired of looking at the same bins for over 25 years. I still like the sound of the original speakers (Crites woofers/Atlas/Trachorn/Beyma/ALK Universal --and I don't think you can do better for the money) but I wanted something that looked fantastic with sound to match. I like to DIY, but it was clear to me that Greg's skills were required. I expected to see precise treatment of the midrange horn, and was not disappointed. The housing for the tweeter was beautifully done with great attention to detail that exceeded my expectations.

I still need to build the Jamborees and I have the parts add a six-channel volume control and replace the output section of the Behringer. It will be a while to check out best levels, frequencies, filter shapes, filter slopes, and delays.

My wife is very pleased with the Lavera Horns.

nat

Guest David H

I still need to build the Jamborees and I have the parts add a six-channel volume control and replace the output section of the Behringer. It will be a while to check out best levels, frequencies, filter shapes, filter slopes, and delays.

What 6 Ch volume control are you using? Goldpoint?

Have you moded your behringer to remove the active output section yet? It really helps.

Dave.

...Currently the crossovers are set at 296Hz and 5.91kHz with LR-48 filters and the relative levels were set by ear...and I have the parts add a six-channel volume control and replace the output section of the Behringer.

nat

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread by focusing on the setup before the beautiful Lavera horns, but, Nat, what are you using to control volume now? Volume controls on the Crowns? Say more about a six channel volume control and new output section for the Behringer. Are you considering a tube output stage as seen here? http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/133949/1358083.aspx#1358083

Oops posted without seeing GotHover's post...errrr. ya....what he said...[:$]

What 6 Ch volume control are you using? Goldpoint?

Have you moded your behringer to remove the active output section yet? It really helps.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I have Jan Didden's kit that replaces the output board with a remote controlled six-channel attenuator and better quality active outputs. I should put in the modification within a few weeks. Jan also has a passive output conversion as well as some improvements in the digital sections.

These horns are so efficient that very little power is needed. This is especially true with tri-amping, so eventually I may go with a passive output too.

Thanks,

nat

...Currently the crossovers are set at 296Hz and 5.91kHz with LR-48 filters and the relative levels were set by ear...and I have the parts add a six-channel volume control and replace the output section of the Behringer.

nat

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread by focusing on the setup before the beautiful Lavera horns, but, Nat, what are you using to control volume now? Volume controls on the Crowns? Say more about a six channel volume control and new output section for the Behringer. Are you considering a tube output stage as seen here? http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/133949/1358083.aspx#1358083

Oops posted without seeing GotHover's post...errrr. ya....what he said...Embarrassed

Hi Mark,

To get the most out of the Lavera Horns, you want the lower crossover to be about 300Hz. The price of quality inductors and capacitors goes up as the frequency goes down. I intend to use the active crossover to determine what crossover parameters work best and also permit phase and delay adjustments. I picked up the Crown amplifiers on E-bay so the active crossover and amplifiers cost a lot less than a passive network even considering the cost of the upgrades to the Behringer. Right now, I have to adjust 6 knobs on the Crowns for gain. It's not hard since they have detents and similar gain steps, but, I am lazy and want a remote.

The Lavera Horns have been easy to set up with the Behringer and get very live like you are there sound.

While I do not intend to use any tubes at this time, I do have an ST-70 (with a blown output tube) so I am open to innovations.

Thanks,

nat

Guest David H

I have Jan Didden's kit that replaces the output board with a remote controlled six-channel attenuator and better quality active outputs. I should put in the modification within a few weeks. Jan also has a passive output conversion as well as some improvements in the digital sections.

Nice, that is a sweet kit.

Dave