Tube Tester - Good Deal?

rjrbass

Experts, I need your advice. I found a tube tester on Kijiji but I know nothing about tube testers, other than how to use them. I have communicated with the owner, and he is willing to lower the price for me. My question, is this a good deal for $75? It is only about a 25 minute drive away.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Vintage-Stark-Tube-Tester-W0QQAdIdZ214337175

Well, looking at the pix, it is a very basic emissions type tester which is of limited value. Yes, it will tell you if the tube is working, and will let you compare tubes of the same type to see which has more "output." You would probably get more information by just putting the tube into a working amplifier and using your ears to judge whether it is good. The other question is whether this tester is operating or not, and whether it is properly calibrated. Buying a tester without having its calibration instructions is chancy. If not properly set, a tube with poor emission may show as "good" on the meter, or vice versa. $75 seems a bit high for a unit of this type.