I AM TORN!!!!!!

Ironsave

I believe I have an active post about this..... but......

I love my HERESIES..... and I am beginning to love my newly refurbished KG 5.2s.

I have been running the 5.2s for a day now...... Last night we watched "The Book Of Eli"....

No sub. The fight/ gun scenes.... They OWNED!!!!!!!! It was as if HT was elevated to another level. It was.

2 channel..... Certain songs sounded nasal.... and you could hear the X over point; this was today........

Here I am 6 beers later and having BLASTED these at 90% of full power.... and I had to pick up my jaw.

My Heresies never did THAT so loud. they are clearer and more defined at lower volumes; but at high; really high volumes..... these equalled in every way.

They trumped in bass.......

MY ISSUE IS I HAVE NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR BOTH....

Please do not respond saying keep both or store one set. Someone should enjoy one of these sets of amazing (for different reasons) speakers.....

How do I accurately quantify which set is better and which set stays?

HOLD THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!! [^o)]

How old are the HERESIES?

Have you ever updated the crossovers?

If your running 30 year old or original crossovers, then the caps are probably dried out and not doing what they are supposed to do.

I have never heard either of these speakers and I would not even try to attempt to tell you which is best for you. But if the HERESIES have never been updated, you are comparing apples to grapes.

Just a thought,

Dennie

• Moderators

Onkyo TX SR702 Receiver

Mains: 1980 Heresy HWOs; With Crites sonicaps. (Thanks Bob!) Soon to be 2 Channel.... Tubes; Here I come?

HT Mains: KG 5.2s

Center: Klipsch KV3

Surrounds: Klipsch SS-3s

Surrounds: KG 1.5s

Sub: KSW 10

I can see you don't have the original caps, that's good, listen a few more times and go with what "you" think sounds best.

You said 6 beers, how did they compare with just 4 beers,[:|] or 8, even 10 ? [;)]

What a wonderful dilmma. Make your ears happy and keep the KGs. They're harder to find and you really seem to love them. You can always pick up some Heresies (or Fortes, Cornwalls, K-Horns, Bells etc) later.

I have to say, my brother got a MINT pair of KG 5.2s on CL for 40 bucks and they are amazing speaks. The clarity is stunning. So, my guess is that the 5.5s are pretty schweet as well.

Its your domo. To hell with what we think!

See what both sets sound like with other receivers/amps you have laying around. One pair might be less picky than the other. This may help (or complicate!) with who stays and who goes.

I agree with the others saying 'go with your gut'. Seems the KGs are winning........

I have never heard either of these speakers and I would not even try to attempt to tell you which is best for you. But if the HERESIES have never been updated, you are comparing apples to grapes.

No matter what it is still comparing apples to grapes, not the same design and overall function. They are two totally different speakers.

James

If you have a significant other...............ask them for their imput. Myself- I would keep the Heresys which I think look and sound better than the KG series............but that is just me.

Or

You could go with the style idea..............which set looks better in your room.................

Ahhhhhhhhhh the choices...............

One last thing. Try listening WITHOUT the Beers and see how they sound...........[:^)]

...as a long time owner of Heresys (updated crossovers) and KG 5.5s (slightly newer and more efficient KG 5.2s) I prefer the sound from Klipsch Heritage...and extended Heritage...BUT...the KG 5.5s (I use mine hooked up tot he TV through a HT receiver) have HUGE bass the Heresys could never hope to match...I would keep my Heresys (using mine in a real HT setting) though...again...I prefer the 3 way Heritage to any 2 way KG or Reference (but perhaps not the 2 way Jubilee)...more grist for the mill...

Bill

I thank each and every one for their responses....

Yes, I did the caps on the Heresies about 7 months ago....

The 5.2s definitely surpise me; because I too prefer 3 way speakers.

The Heresies are not capable of the bass the 5.2s produce. They have a bit more depth and clarity at low to medium volumes; but when matched up against the 5.2s at high volumes; the 5.2s throw a bigger stage. (tractix horns), and the overall sound is more encompassing (the bass is amazing).

The 5.2s are rare; so I am still torn. I will continue to listen to these for now and then switch back to the Heresies later. I could always set up a dedicated 2 channel in the back porch I suppose.....

The reality is I can not listen to either of these that loud often; apartment living sucks in that respect.