AUDIOPHILE EMERGENCY! my $42,000 home theater...

justin_tx_16

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm:

Boa,

From what I hear, building inspectors only find out about most problems when a neighbor reports them. So, unless you have a neighbor who knows what you have done, thinks it is a problem, and is POed at you, you should have nothing to worry about

whoops! wish me luck. at least the fbi agent moved away. Smile.gif had a lawyer on the other side for a good balance though. Smile.gif

thanks for the heads up malcolm!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

It's not that the wire may short out or that it will over heat and catch fire.

It's the jacket or plactic insulation. If a fire were to start somewhere in the room and the wire was to catch fire it would act lile a fuse and and spread the fire all thru the walls.

That's why in wall speaker is different. The jacket won't burn.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

i see. well, i don't anticipate a fire hehe. i must say that this is the first time that this have ever been talked about in someones home theater Smile.gif thanks for the concern, yall like me, you really like me! of course joking about that, but could not let a sall fields moment like that (what movie was that from? the soap opera one with whoopi goldberg?) pass me by... i live a very boring life at times, so i improvise.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

no it was sally fields who said it, whoopi was her friend in that movie, her script writer (she acted it)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

OK - I am now sitting with the videophile.

His input is as follows:

1. If the room is completely dark, you dont mind big bulky projectors hanging from the ceiling and you want the best possible picture then CRT is the route to go. There are 2 negatives being a) maintenance (convergence every 6 months, tweaking etc.) and B) cost.

2. CRT is catgorically the best picture you can get from a projector for a home theatre. You shopuld look at entry level 7 inch Barco's or Runco (which you mentioned). These are very expensive here in Europe - we do not know the prices in the US.

3. If you want high resolution on a CRT projector (ie for HDTV or DVD signal via PC/processor) you will need to go to larger CRT units like the 9 inch CRT's. These cost in Europe nearer $30,000 on their own. (Note : "This is pure heaven" according to the gushing videophile at my side).

4. The big advantage of CRT is the length of time you can comfortably watch movies and TV. They are not as wearing as DLP and LCD.

5. With CRT's the screen you need to get should have a maximum gain of 1.5 (gain is the amount of reflection that the screen provides). For LCD's and DLP's this gain should be much lower (less than 1). In some cases the screens are even grey rather than white for DLP/LCD projectors.

6. This brings us to the most important point for picture quality. CRT's and only CRT's have true black's. DLP's and LCD's can only produce grey at best. Try watching Blade Runner or the Crow on LCD and apparently you will chuck all over your trousers.

7. Only CRT's have true colour reproduction (DLP's are however catching up on this). The best illustration of this effect is skin tone which can be very annoying if not produced correctly.

8. For DLP's - if you decide to go this route anyway. The great advantage they have is that they are a point and shoot type setup and newer ones can now handle high resolutions such as HDTV. Therefore they are portable and have low maintenance. DLP's also have very good color reproduction, far better than LCD. Their images can be very highly detailed but there are some major disadvantages.

9. If you have astigmatism as a viewer you will find the picture unwatchable due to the infamous raindbow effect. This is a flashing of colours in certain sections of the screen. This can completely draw your attention.

10. The newer DLP's such as the SIM2 HT300 have managed to virtually eliminate the rainbow effect but becaus this is purely a personal matter you need to personally audition the DLP players yourself to be absolutely sure one way or another.

11. LCD has the infamous screen door effect creating a pixilated net over the image. This coupled with poor colour reproduction takes LCD totally out of the list for this videophile. It is, however, usually the cheapest option of the 3.

In summary for a budget of $15,000 or greater only DLP or CRT should be considered. If size of the unit is an issue/portability then DLP is the only option (subject to an audition for the rainbow effect).

Apologies for the layout of this note - he was dictating to me as I type. Hopefully you got all the info.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks SOOOOO much for this info! gonna read it later more indepth, getting ready for school right now.

thanks so much, and to him too Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 2 weeks later...

went to a dealre near me... can get a 7.1 Denon receiver amp (130-180 watt per channel) for $3500... that would be half hte price of the Mondial route... what do you think?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Hey,

Great discussion! I have a link that you might find interesting. I know there have been numerous references to using JBL equipment in your project. The JBL Synthesis equipment is some pretty awesome equipment but it is out of your price range. A local dealer here in Minneapolis gave me a demo of the system. He told me that the audio side of the room was about $50,000 and the video side was another $50,000. Despite this price tag, they had sold 6 of these custom rooms and had more on order. So much for a recession!!!!

Here is the link for the JBL Site

http://www.jbl.com/home/synthesis/productlist.asp?SerId=Syn6

yeah... just a little out of my $40,000 price arena haha. Wow, a $100,000 theater Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 9 months later...

Justin,

It sounds like you need to go to a Local dealer for Klipsch. Where you could purchase everything you need, and check to see about future upgrades/tradeins. If you go with Klipsch, check the series in the form, to get the Matching recommendations for rear/center channel speakers. Start small and work up! But mostly work with a LOCAL dealer-for the service and support for this kind of money-they would most likely setup the system for you! Good luck rich guy!

i have not taken new pics in a LONG time. the old pics are here.

http://www.soundwise.org/archive/id95.htm

since talking to the SVS guys we decided to get one of their new B-4 subs ( think that is the name )

problem is my parents are not motivated. they put about 50% down on this at tweeter to reserve everything awaiting the finishing of the house, which we had built. the house is finihsed except one bathroom, one guest room and the home theater. sadly the first two will come before the later. with the ecnonomy like it is right now, and my dad being in the forefront of the controversy, he is not really set on putting the other $20,000+ to this theater till it all blows over. what we have purchased now I feel should go into the theater, even though ther flooring, fiber optics, wall treatments and panic room/control room (yeah, we are freaks) is finished.

about the control room, panic room. it is really a cool idea. so when we go into house arrest because someone is trying to hold us ransom or whatever, we can play movies and watch them through the 2 ply 1" thick glass window (6 inches by 24 inches tall) (bullet proof of course, it is THICK and quite expensive).

once i get back my camera from my brother i will see about getting new pics taken. all that has really happened is crown molding, the basics of the fiberoptic star field, some flooring and bracing and the control/panic room is pretty much finished, less the equiptment which has all changed now it has been so long haha.

WHHOOOOAA!!there MAXG...

lcd doesn't reproduce skin tones well...gray, not black...WAY too broad a generalization on lcd performance.11.gif

true,lcd black level isn't as good as crt, but 700:1 contrast ratio is FINE FOR ME, and my colors are nice,bold,and accurate WITHOUT making skin tones look red, they look like SKIN! not to mention wxga resolution 1366x768, dvi-d w/hdcp input,1000 ansi-lumens,$2500 street price,12 lbs, not like hanging a VW beetle from the ceiling. sony vpl-hs10. check it out.

avman.2.gif

Justin,it all sounds very nice man!

And you are doing what Judith and I are doing here, except ours is a complete basement refit,..for real HT (room within a room)

Which meant moving of two walls and building

one more with the alcove that holds the speakers, amp rack and of course the screen.

I went with black lascalla's for L-C-R.

KNowing that the Lascalla drops off somwhere around 50hz, i wanted something potent to keep up with the folded horns,so after alot of looking around at home" subs, i was lucky enough to come across the pro KTP 484 18" sub.

well..i have yet to find a sub that can "move

the furniture" like these can!!!

And it seems to be a seamless extension from the lascalla .

Every cabinet gets its own amp channel, which keeps things nice and tight.

Power was supplied by two 20A AC lines that i

had wired to the inside of the rack cabinet.

One is dedicated specifically for the sub's amplifier,..a big Dynaco 416..one sub per ch.

The other AC line feeds the other 3 power amps in the system

I chose the recent Bryston surround processor

It seems real easy to use.

My surrounds i went klipsch in walls.

For the screen, i admit i don't know too much about, but its a stewart and its perforated so the highs from the K-77's won't be muted.

And the holes are smaller, because you sit alot closer to a home screen that in a commercial movie theatre screen.

Were almost finished, but the back wall was a pain to install,..thats what hung us up

The theater room is horseshoe shapped..neat eh

We will come in shortly under $51,000 wich is

2,000 less than i though because i was able to

do alot of the prewiring myself.

this is what we wound up with..

After alot of hard work and "dust"

System:

Klipsch Lascalla L-C-R

Klipsch KTP-484 18" subs (X2)

Klipsch In walls- surrounds

20A AC X2 for amp rack-Hammond fan cooled

Bryston Surround Processor

Harman Kardon cit 16/A x2(L-C-R)

Dynaco stereo 416 (subs)

Bryston 2bLP (surrounds)

Stewart centre channel ready screen

Panasonic DVD player

*all front speakers and amp rack are behind

the screen,Only surround inwalls are visible

DiLA

I would explore this technology as well. The display will probably be a big chunk of the budget...around $7-$15K? Is that what you were thinking?

I would be interested in your plan for:

* HDTV (I want the HDTV DirecTV/TiVo integrated box coming out later this year...I hope).

* Have you explored using an HTPC?

* Speakers - How much auditioning of other brands have you done? I guess that's a silly question for one of the sites top posters, but with your mention of Mirage I was curious what else you have auditioned and your preception of their sound. Everyone seems to have different tastes.

- I heard the 7.1 Martin Logan system (Odyssey, Aeon, Script, Descent. Which was very impressive for detail (although a narrow sweet spot).

- I also was impressed with the KEF Reference 205-based system although probably a bit too expensive.

_ My local AV shop that does $50K-$100K installs like Snell but the bulk of the price isn't in speakers.

If db's and a full sonic assault are important then Klipsch probably is the clear winner, but everyone seems to have different tastes so I mentioned some that seem to be different.

For electronics I would be looking at Outlaw, B&K, Sunfire, Rotel, Anthem, Elite 49Txi, the upcoming Denon iLink system, and the Klipsch electronics.

I'm sure I'm one of many that are interested in vicariously enjoying the thrill of building a great system.