Setchell Carlson amps?

juniper8

I have a chance to purchase a setchell carlson console stereo and the amp is a RP91, and it dates from the late 50's. I am wondering if this would sound good with with my cornwalls. Any info about this or other console amps that might be a good tube amp start would be great!

If the price is right, I'd grab it, particularly if it is playing. With Cornwalls, you can't go wrong with almost any decent tube amplifier. If memory serves, the RP91 is the same as the RP90 which used a nice push-pull output stage with 6CM6 tubes (electrically the same as 6V6s). Power output is probably in the range of 10wpc which is plenty.

It depends on how nostalgic you are! As a restorer of antique radios, vintage audio equipment, etc, I'd certainly leave it intact to preserve the history. However, it may be possible to arrange switching which will allow you to play the amp either through the existing speakers, or through the Cornwalls. I don't remember what kind of inputs the amp has, but it may also be possible to connect your CD player to an auxiliary high level input so you can use it for that as well. How much is the asking price, and are there any knowledgeable audio folks in your area who can assist you?

I am fairly nostalgic, I know the things that I collect I like to be "left alone" and I am sure someone somewhere wants the same with this piece. Its 40.00 dollars and near perfect, but I think I will have to pass, it is just to nice to rip apart! If it was like 98% of the consoles I have seen in the past I would have no problem hitting it with a sledge hammer, because some history may be better forgotten, but I think someone will appreciate this in it,s original state.

I am fairly nostalgic, I know the things that I collect I like to be "left alone" and I am sure someone somewhere wants the same with this piece. Its 40.00 dollars and near perfect, but I think I will have to pass, it is just to nice to rip apart! If it was like 98% of the consoles I have seen in the past I would have no problem hitting it with a sledge hammer, because some history may be better forgotten, but I think someone will appreciate this in it,s original state.

Were is it located? My girlfriends office needs a hifi. This would fit right in.

For forty dollars buy it and find a place for it!!! More than likely, someone will buy it, throw away the amp/speakers, and use it for something ridiculous...............