so sad

My little 16 year old kitty Gypsy, died tonight. I accidentally ran over her in the driveway with my car. I was coming home late and have the vehicles in a non-standard order. Usually I pull the Honda into the garage. Tonight I had the truck/PA in there and was swinging the car around. I'm beside myself right now.

Those who know how close I am to my cats will understand. They're like my kids.

Michael

post-10755-13819599590176_thumb.jpg

post-10755-1381961795618_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that, I know it had to be an accident, I know how you are with all animals, you can't blame yourself. If you were able to keep her for 16 years you both were pretty lucky already, that's a long time for a cat ( I think ).

Things always happen for a reason, not that we always know why.

All I can say is I am sorry.

Man , growing up we always had allot of cats . This happens and I know how you feel . Critters are members of your family and it's hard . Sorry for your loss . Posted ImageJust a little shout out from me and my cat to you . Buggers attempting to block the keyboard as I type .

Thanks all, not sleeping very well.

She had a good life, Gypsy's name was chosen because she was a wanderer from early on. When I lived near 30th street (near Speedway) this little black kitty came to visit from her litter several houses down. She came with me to Great Grandma's farm where Mimi and I ended up with 10 cats, then came with me and Mr. Steely Dan back to the city. This two acre parcel was so that they could their freedom as they had on the farm. She also follows with a rock and roll name - Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsy's was the inspiration for her name. She's lived with Steely Dan, Macy Grey, and Miles, never had any problems with any of them or any visitors to my home. Loved on everyone equally.

I still can't believe this happened at my own hand. Why does God do such things? Sure she was old, shedding a lot, having trouble climbing up on the bed. But she still acted 'the kitty' chasing her tail, lying in her favorite places, curling up when Daddy needed it. Pets are for having another beating heart in the building where you live, they're a reason to come hom and stay home. I've been doing a lot of travel lately and miss them terribly, it's been a struggle even coming home knowing that they were cooped up for days at a time.

She'd recently taken to hanging around the shop a lot, I'd even broken down and let her wander in and stay while I was tinkering away. She liked to be close by, had this funny little way of tapping your hand with her paw as if to remind you that she was there and that petting the kitty was ok. She bonded with folks effortlessly.

Yeah I swung the car around abruptly, I went out when I didn't have to, I saw her as I was leaving and almost put her inside. I chose to leave before the show was over and drove home sleepily. My car had been struck in the parking lot the previous night and I nearly didn't go out at all last night. A lot of stuff conspired so this could happen. As I stood in shock in my driveway at 11pm, a very close friend of mine happened to drive by my street and turned in - I needed someone to be here and Roger was still a few minutes away. Good old Roger, the first call I made when things when haywire- he was here as soon as humanly possible and stayed with me a while. Thanks man. Jamie kept me company over the phone as I lie on the ground next to Gypsy and wrapped her in my shirt.

I'm gonna have to blame myself for a while. This really hurts.

And here I am with all these memories and hardly any photos.

M

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it can be. Unfortunate circumstances as well. It would seem she suffered very little and it was over very quickly. She also had a wonderful life in the time she had with you. Don't lose sight of the good parts of the story. I understand the void very well.

Michael,

I am truly sorry for your loss. You will blame yourself for a while but eventually the feeling of guilt will be replaced with the joy of knowing that your cat was well loved and did not want for anything. You gave Gypsy a good life and in return she gave you bounds of joy and comfort.

Bill

It happens Mike, it happens. Over the years we have had the same problem with members of the Area-51 Alert Killer Attack Force (by which you were dutifully protected during your visits) taking up residence in the engine compartments of the pick-up trucks. Kitties and fans don't mix. Sad but true. But I'm sure that Gypsy is in kitty Heaven.

I've known many a wonderful pet. There is no good way that they take their leave from life. Their lives are shorter and all we can do is give them the best we can, while we can. You certainly do that for many, many animals. This was an accident. They happen. If you were a reckless person they'd happen more often, but they don't. Don't be too rough on yourself.

OMG Michael, VERY sorry for your loss! I have kitties myself and I understand the feeling you have as if they are your KIDS. Some people don't have a clue about what its like. I have two siamese and they have quite the demenor from other kinds of felines. I can only imagine your hurt. Most folks on here have said what I would like to say and can only echo their support. Its takes time as time heals most things. Hang in there Michael, and enjoy the thoughts and memories of your adventurous and well known kitty.

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate your kind words of support. Just setting out some plans for her burial this morning.

My American Indian friend Michael ( who just happened to stop in last nightat 11:15 as I was panicked in my driveway) suggested that since I'm planning some landscaping, that I lay Gypsy to rest at the base of where a tree will be planted. That way I'll have a spot for rememberance, it'll be Her tree. Next to the workshop, in back of the stone wall (protected area), is a 75x36 plot I was planning for an orchard. I think there will be a more stately tree in the plans on the front side of all that. That will be Gypsy's park, a nice shade tree and bench will be there for reflection. I can see it from the house and workshop.

Going to be around people a lot today, setting up a mid sized system for ice cream social/jazz fest downtown for about 250-300. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Michael

sorry about what happened michael. Gypsy did her job--she made you happy and gave you some nice memories. it's rough right now; but, don't lose sight of the fact that this was just an accident. you weren't being reckless or anything...just an unfortunate accident. Take care, Steve

Michael,

I just learned of your loss.

Our beloved Pumpkin died the same way as Gypsy. It will take a long time for the pain to subside, it never will completely go away. We try so hard to protect our creatures and when we fail them it haunts us terribly. My heart is heavy for you my friend!

Herb