so sad

Thanks again gang, I buried her today in the back yard, near the shop. Was out busy with friends doing a small jazz PA gig with my Klipsch gear. 301, 250's on sticks, ksm12 monitors. Went pretty ok. It was good to be around people who understand me today. Apparently I'm not the first person who this has happened to. A friend reminded me that we are just loaned some of God's little critters to take care of the best we can for the time that we get to spend with them.

This still majorly sucks. And I'm not allowed anything to kill the pain, I just have to sit here in this big house with all these emotions and one very confused cat. It's just Steely and me for now. And my heart feels heavier than I can ever remember.

M

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIchael,

I can understand your sadness. My wife's black and white cat recently died at 17 years after kidney disease. The cat destroyed a couch and a chair and was at times very much a pest, but was still very much loved. Sometimes as cats get older their reflexes slow. We had a neighbor who back their car onto their cat. I think the old cats just can not hear and see the cars. The younger cats react faster.

Still, the loss of a beloved pet is hard. They are our buddies and companions.

Cats and cars dont mix at any level. A few years back I started my truck. A cat was asleep on the engine. After the fan belts did their thing it was pretty bad. I looked but could not find a collar from what was left. I hope it was not some kid's pet.Upset me for several weeks.

I keep envisioning her where she used to hang out, or just coming around the corner. I'd talk and she'd listen. Today, it's always one of the other cats.

I keep trying to explain to them why the little black one won't be coming around any more but they don't understand.

Neither do I.

M

Cats and cars dont mix at any level. A few years back I started my truck. A cat was asleep on the engine. After the fan belts did their thing it was pretty bad. I looked but could not find a collar from what was left. I hope it was not some kid's pet.Upset me for several weeks.

The same thing happened to my wife when she started her mini-van a few years ago. I think they climb up there by the warm motor when it's cold outside.

My American Indian friend Michael ( who just happened to stop in last nightat 11:15 as I was panicked in my driveway) suggested that since I'm planning some landscaping, that I lay Gypsy to rest at the base of where a tree will be planted. That way I'll have a spot for rememberance, it'll be Her tree. Next to the workshop, in back of the stone wall (protected area), is a 75x36 plot I was planning for an orchard. I think there will be a more stately tree in the plans on the front side of all that. That will be Gypsy's park, a nice shade tree and bench will be there for reflection. I can see it from the house and workshop.

That seems like a good way to commemorate your friend. Since we usually outlive our four-legged companions, Gypsy may have company as time goes by, although you don't want to be thinking of that at this time.

Sorry to hear about your kitty Michael. I like cats more than most people that I've met.

In February of 1995 my wife and I had just moved into our new house. It was an unusually cold night and as I was watching the teevee I kept hearing a noise from outside. I muted the teevee and listened. Heard nothing. A few minutes later I heard noise again coming from the back of the house. I muted the teevee again and walked out to the screen porch. Didn't see or hear anything. Went back inside and resumed watching the tube. Heard a noise from the front door. I got up and turned on the outside light, opened the shutter at the front door sidelight and there stood a cat with a wide open mouth saying meoooow! I opened the door and in walked the cat. She looked pretty rough and was as cold as an ice cube. I went in the kitchen with my new buddy behind me. Found some left over roast beef in the frige and put some in the microwave. She chowed down on the beef and we were instant pals.

The wife walks in the living room and asks where the cat came from. I gave her the above story and she said 'you're not thinking about keeping that cat are you'? I said yea, she looks like she needs a good home and we just happen to have one. Well, the wife said, if she's going to stay in the house she'll have to have a bath. So we take her to the bathtub and give her a good bath. She just sits there like she loves water or something, not rebelling in the least. I suspected she was retarded or something.

The next day the wife takes the kitty to the vet and gets her checked out. The vet says 'congratulations, you're going to have kittens'? A few weeks later out pops one male and one female kitten. We still live with them in their house today. Momma kitty died a few years ago from a rare form of cancer, but she left her kittens with a good home. They think they are human and are our constant companions.

I understand the depth of your loss and am sorry to hear the news. I think a persons ability to care for animals says a lot about the person. Go get another kitty. There are many poor animals out there just waiting to be rescued. And have it spayed or neutered.

Keith

Thanks very much Keith. It's been a lot like that around here. All my cats have been adopted from the 'wild' (some literally feral then became tame to us). Nearly every one I've had since their birth so we've really bonded. My cats probably reflect my personality, or at least are terribly pampered according to some.

Adding to my sadness is that fact that somehow I forgot to photograph this cat (and most of the others). I have spent a lot of time in photography and can't believe that I have next to nothing photographically to remember her. So please, have some images taken with your pet. You'll be glad you did.

Steely and Sammy are acting a bit weird, but happy to have me home. We're all cuddly tonight.

A friend reminded me today how I often leave a bedroom window open and without screen so the kitties can come and go totally at will. They've had a good life here really. I'm just angry and sad for me for going through this I guess. She was a good kitty.

M

Sorry, man! Tough times, but as you've said yourself she had a great time here thanks to you. She's ok now, you need a little time. I like the remembrance tree. When I think of it I'd much rather have a tree than anything else... The circle of life...

Best wishes, Tim.

Rememberies...

Gypsy knew the sound of my spoon in a bowl of ice cream or cereal. She always got the last few licks, and waited patiently to share.

She'd gently paw your hand as if to say 'it's ok to pet the nice kitty'. She loved to be petted and got a lot of that here.

Chased her tail in the living room until her last day. Gypsy was a dainty little girl, only about 7-9 pounds.

Would nap with me and Steely, they'd take turns curling up in Daddy's arm.

In her later years she preferred keeping inside but would sprint out the door with the others when offered a bit of freedom.

She had her favorite spots to hide and be comfy, like she found a spot on the floor where a boiler pipe runs and would always sit in that warmth in the winter months.

Not much of a killer, she pretty much left it to the boys to rid the place of chipmonks. But she'd play along when they got one.

She did stay out of the street, she'd scamper down the long drive as I went to collect mail, but knew to stop at a certain point. I never saw her cross the street here. How unfitting that my car would be her demise.

She was a good sister to all the other litter cats, being one of the oldest. Mimi had two older cats, but they all saw a lot of temporarily-adopted kitties come and go, and a lot of new ones walk into (and out of) our lives.

There was a group of ferals around the house for a couple years (that's where Sammy came from), and she was patient with those transitions. Sammy even picked on her a bit and she took it in stride. I figured it was good exercise, hope it didn't terrorize her.

Never a health issue, ever.

Gypsy was very quiet, never meowing unless petted and then just a little 'mew'.

more later....

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Michael. My wife and I are very attached to our two cats (brother & sister) and while we have been successful so far over the last 9 years in keeping them alive in an area chock full of coyotes, I have had a general fear of feeling a "bump" as I move our cars around only to find one of our cats having met their demise at my hand ... so I can relate to your circumstances. Your pain will pass over time, but I do sympathize.

Don

Spencer & Chewy:

Spencer-Chewy.jpg

Don, that's some big ole cats there, cute picture. Thanks Dee, you have mail.

Here's another photo finally (I have some on film- need to get them printed) , Gypsy was known as the 'supervisor' on my workshop project because she was constantly playing around the building materials and the new 'playground' that ensued. The workers I hired loved her, she was always there but never in the way.

When I first completed it, I kept my pets out of the building, not wanting to lock them in overnight or having anything shredded or worse. Lately though Gypsy had begun hanging out at the stoop to the entry door, then was the first to bravely walk in as I tinkered away. She was little and gentle and I let her stay a few times just before she died. It's like she wanted to be as close as possible while I was home after all my recent adventuring.

I looked through the literally hundred photos I have on the construction and found this one. Zooming in you can see a young Sammy there too. He pestered her a lot in the last year but I think it gave Gypsy a little exercise. And now Steely still has a friend left. I've never had less than two cats. God provides.

post-10755-13819599724326_thumb.jpg

post-10755-13819618121408_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of Alice; she decided to come hang out with us on the 4th of July in '09. We have always had a lot of animal friends hanging out with us over the years. The latest is Jo Jo a 13 year old Beagle from the pound; he needed a good retirement home; we will try to give him one. Later Bill

post-12756-13819599793482_thumb.jpg

post-12756-13819618206922_thumb.jpg

Don't take it too hard Michael, it happens, your not the first.

One of my favorites all time cats was a cross-eyed siamese named Socrates. He had a crooked tale, from some mean boys that slung him around as a kitten. I found him behind an old HEB grocery store, where my sister worked as a pharmacist assistant. I saw some boys laughing it up, and doing something to make some noise, then when I saw the cat fly across the load dock, I took after the boys and they ran away. I was very young, but I knew right from wrong. I ended up taking the cat home, wounded and with a broken tail, only to hear my dad yell loudly and complain. God I loved that cat.

Then years later, one cold (40deg) south texas morning, on the way to school (mom driving) we felt a thump about 2 miles from home. I looked back, and saw Socrates runing toward an old gas station. Yes I made mom go back, and I saw what I probably should not have seen. He was about 16 yrs. old too at the time, and it seems ole Socrates had cuddled up in the radiator fan shroud.

Be grateful for the good times you enjoyed and were able to spend with your pets. Life is cruely short, live and enjoy your time here. Go get another kitty.