Best receiver/amp for rock with KG 5.5 speakers??

CPHogger

I have a pair of KG 5.5 speakers that I believe I am not getting the best sound out of.

I am using a Pioneer VSX-3300 receiver that I literally pulled out of the trash. It works, but doesnt have the best sound. I would also like to avoid any AV receivers as this a 2 channel only set up.

Sources are a Rotel 855 CD player and a soon to be delivered Rega P1 TT.

What would be a good receiver/amp under a $1000 for mostly classic rock? (Pink floyd, Led Zeppelin , Rush, Black sabbath)

(possibly even tubes?)

Thank you.

BIG Sansui, Marantz or Pioneer. If it doesn't weigh at least 45-50 pounds, we're not on the same page. Pre 1980 preferable, but I AM biased.

Welcome to the forum. There'll be more folks chiming in with other routes to go.

Randall

After rereading your post, I do not have any suggestions as I am using my 7.1 Onkyo with my KG 5.2s for 2 channel music right now......

These speakers are AMAZING with the amount of bass they produce.

Good luck on your hunt, but I reccomend looking on CL for used amps/ receivers...... You can find something for a few hundred that will make your speakers become ALIVE! Trust me.

Good Luck.

If vintage isnt your thing a couple of new integrated amps that are attracting attention are the Marantz PM 5003 that Stereophile found to be quite nice.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2564.asp

and the NAD C 326BEE which has the sole of the old NAD 3020.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-326BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

Both can be had for under $500.

I too have the KG 5.5 speakers and I tried several different combinations .....and while the vintage Sansui gear sounded great they matched up even better with my Realistic STA-2100 even better....most of my music listening tends to be classic rock......'Floyd, Zep,with a little Joe Bonamassa and Walter Trout thrown in just for good measure....good luck in your search